Cruising speed
1982 20 2021-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marciano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8748281 ft
Uruguay

Which is the optimal speed to keep the lowest battery consumption/longest fly time?
In some distance range tests I've seen pilots flying at 15m/s.  Is this the best speed to extend the fly time?
I have seen RTH uses 10m/s
I remember P4P is 10m/s

2021-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don’t think anyone has tested and recorded values, speed wind and battery values  need to be taken into account but these will give you many different variables, so its a big project to take on it would certainly interesting to know results. Maybe you’ll give it a go yourself.
2021-11-24
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Gee, I would think that dji has this info??
They did the "math" when desigining these things??

2021-11-24
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Uruguay

hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 06:14
I don’t think anyone has tested and recorded values, speed wind and battery values  need to be taken into account but these will give you many different variables, so its a big project to take on it would certainly interesting to know results. Maybe you’ll give it a go yourself.

Certainly there are many variables, it is not the same aerodynamics to fly forward than backward or sideways.
Ideal values can give us an idea when planning a flight.
Perhaps DJI can give us a value in ideal conditions, no wind, at sea level, straight ahead. It will be a reference, just that,
They could provide it in the same way they give us an ideal flight time value of 46 minutes.
Just as with a car, the manual tells us that the cruising speed is 90 km/h, that is, with a certain amount of fuel, the longest travel will be at that speed.  Of course these are ideal conditions but it is a reference.

2021-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marciano Posted at 11-24 06:33
Certainly there are many variables, it is not the same aerodynamics to fly forward than backward or sideways.
Ideal values can give us an idea when planning a flight.
Perhaps DJI can give us a value in ideal conditions, no wind, at sea level, straight ahead. It will be a reference, just that,

I agree. Maybe you can learn something from this video.

2021-11-24
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Uruguay

hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 07:14

https://youtu.be/ii-CpeVyRM0

From the compass I get the impression that it was flying downwind. At 3:19 it is in the "return" position and the drone seems more tilted by the headwind. Anyway the battery gave him time to fly more than 8 minutes, about 7Km, to complete 30Km in total.
Sensors off and probably in N mode, maximum speed.
Anyway the battery gave him time to fly more than 8 minutes, about 7Km, to complete 30Km in total.
Sensors off (sensors on wastes battery) and probably in N mode, maximum speed.
I'm curious to know where it landed!
M3 hasn't arrived in my country yet.  I will try to do some tests in the same conditions, at different speeds to compare distances traveled at the same remaining battery percentage from the start of 100%.
2021-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marciano Posted at 11-24 07:58
From the compass I get the impression that it was flying downwind. At 3:19 it is in the "return" position and the drone seems more tilted by the headwind. Anyway the battery gave him time to fly more than 8 minutes, about 7Km, to complete 30Km in total.
Anyway the battery gave him time to fly more than 8 minutes, about 7Km, to complete 30Km in total.

Yeah I would like to know too were it landed..
2021-11-24
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 06:14
I don’t think anyone has tested and recorded values, speed wind and battery values  need to be taken into account but these will give you many different variables, so its a big project to take on it would certainly interesting to know results. Maybe you’ll give it a go yourself.

Exactly, too many variables. Temperature, altitude, wind speed/direction, humidity...
One can always do few test runs in their typical environments and decide for themselves, but even then, the situation can impreceptibly change (temperature/wind/huminity), and you will be off.
I personally would not sweat too much over it. Just enjoy the long battery life of Mavic 3 and fly safe!
2021-11-24
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

21..23km. That's pretty impressive regardless!
2021-11-24
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Holey doley, great video and test. Too many unknown factors, but still incredible good range. Thanks for showing this hallmark. Yes, where did hi really land???
2021-11-24
Use props
LoveYou
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16525367 ft
Greece

marciano Posted at 11-24 07:58

Hi marciano.

How to disable sensors in DJI Fly App N Mode?
2021-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LoveYou Posted at 11-24 08:59
Hi marciano.

How to disable sensors in DJI Fly App N Mode?

This might help
2021-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

kyalami Posted at 11-24 08:58
Holey doley, great video and test. Too many unknown factors, but still incredible good range. Thanks for showing this hallmark. Yes, where did hi really land???

His Granny’s house ;+)
2021-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DarthSLR Posted at 11-24 08:39
21..23km. That's pretty impressive regardless!

Very impressive. I had found signal very impressive until yesterday afternoon. 150m away 8m altitude over the ocean, I just switched to explorer, then complete disconnect, I was looking at it over the ocean for what seemed like a long time about 90 seconds and nothing happening. No video and no stick control, so I just switched off RC and back on and this seemed to initiate RTH it rose up and started return home, about half way got remote signal back and my screen was showing just flashing X to cancel still no video signal , so tried clicking X but it just wouldn’t work it continued home and landed I had stick control when I turned off and on but no video signal. When I landed still with no video I had to turn off craft and Remote and back on to get video back. It was all very strange when I lost video signal first I was just looking at it 8m high over the ocean waves with no control and no imminent RTH. I think RC badly needs optimizing FW , something not right about it.
2021-11-24
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 09:40
Very impressive. I had found signal very impressive until yesterday afternoon. 150m away 8m altitude over the ocean, I just switched to explorer, then complete disconnect, I was looking at it over the ocean for what seemed like a long time about 90 seconds and nothing happening. No video and no stick control, so I just switched off RC and back on and this seemed to initiate RTH it rose up and started return home, about half way got remote signal back and my screen was showing just flashing X to cancel still no video signal , so tried clicking X but it just wouldn’t work it continued home and landed I had stick control when I turned off and on but no video signal. When I landed still with no video I had to turn off craft and Remote and back on to get video back. It was all very strange when I lost video signal first I was just looking at it 8m high over the ocean waves with no control and no imminent RTH. I think RC badly needs optimizing FW , something not right about it.

I'm actually amazed at you guys flying a brand new device, which is apparently prone to signal loss, over vast expanses of water...
Epecially in that video... Imagine losing the signal while over that channel/river, possibly too far away from auto RTH, it would land on the way home, i.e. right in the middle of that body of water...
And I thought I was adventurous...
2021-11-24
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Uruguay

hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 09:40
Very impressive. I had found signal very impressive until yesterday afternoon. 150m away 8m altitude over the ocean, I just switched to explorer, then complete disconnect, I was looking at it over the ocean for what seemed like a long time about 90 seconds and nothing happening. No video and no stick control, so I just switched off RC and back on and this seemed to initiate RTH it rose up and started return home, about half way got remote signal back and my screen was showing just flashing X to cancel still no video signal , so tried clicking X but it just wouldn’t work it continued home and landed I had stick control when I turned off and on but no video signal. When I landed still with no video I had to turn off craft and Remote and back on to get video back. It was all very strange when I lost video signal first I was just looking at it 8m high over the ocean waves with no control and no imminent RTH. I think RC badly needs optimizing FW , something not right about it.

Which Fly version are you using?
Some people are reporting problems with their Mini2 with the last version.
Maybe deleting the app and its cache and then reinstalling it could help.
As always happen with random problems one starts to lose trust.
2021-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marciano Posted at 11-24 10:54
Which Fly version are you using?
Some people are reporting problems with their Mini2 with the last version.
Maybe deleting the app and its cache and then reinstalling it could help.

1.5.1…..
2021-11-24
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Uruguay

Should not be the problem with M3.
Try reinstalling the app, keep in mind settings values like Expo you might have changed.  Also reboot the device
2021-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marciano Posted at 11-24 11:08
Should not be the problem with M3.
Try reinstalling the app, keep in mind settings values like Expo you might have changed.  Also reboot the device

You cannot reboot app on Pro Remote, it automatically controlled in the remote.
2021-11-24
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Found this in the FAQ
2021-11-24
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Uruguay

That has a clue!  32kph is 9m/s Guessing flying forwards.
They say they achieved 46 minutes total flight time in those conditions.
Of course other parameters have influence but they do not move the needle in a noticeable way.
2021-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules