472 18 2021-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Seems that the OA picks up objects when there are none around. If i am flying around 90 meters high and there is nothing around just good clear skies around mid day with the OA turned off (not sport mode) i see on the screen the sensors show red lines like it detects something and slows down abit then gets back on again. Flying in sport mode seems to clear this but it is because the OA is turned off. Is this an issue that DJI will be resolving in a firmware update or could it be faulty OA sensors. I have searched up on this issue and found a long thread about the same on Mavic pilots, so its not only me that is having this problem. I raised it with the shop i bought the drone who said they will email DJI directly. This is the first drone that i am having issues with from DJI so hopefully it is just something small that a firmware update can fix.

I know DJI is pushing a firmware update in Jan but maybe one needs to come out to tackle the OA sensor issues at least so we dont end up losing our drones that cost us so much. I paid $4500NZD for mine so would not be happy if it takes off or crashes because of faulty sensors.
2021-11-24
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, I haven't seen that but then you are probably doing more with your M3 that I. I have noticed the M3 doing small up and down motions in RTH far from the HP but I thought those were OA for objects below. Maybe not. This is why I put on the ridiculous life preserver while flying over water ;-) Call me crazy.
2021-11-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Suren. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having this issue with your new DJI Mavic 3 and thank you for reaching out. I will  forward these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2021-11-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My M2P does this in bright sunlight,  could it be the same issue?
2021-11-25
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Suren, can I just confirm I've understood correctly. You get avoidance type behaviour when 1) flying in Normal AND 2) the OA is turned off?  If so, that's not jst sensors misdetecting stuff that isn't there. If it's turned off, it shouldn't provoke any behaviour. Only the landing protection should do anything, since that can't be turned off at the moment.
2021-11-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nicodema Posted at 11-25 02:30
Suren, can I just confirm I've understood correctly. You get avoidance type behaviour when 1) flying in Normal AND 2) the OA is turned off?  If so, that's not jst sensors misdetecting stuff that isn't there. If it's turned off, it shouldn't provoke any behaviour. Only the landing protection should do anything, since that can't be turned off at the moment.

If it's turned off, it shouldn't provoke any behaviour.
Unless the OA doesn't really turn off.
2021-11-25
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-25 03:08

Indeed, that's what I'm trying to understand. If the OA doesn't really turn off, that's a different issue from the sensors reading false positives, isn't it.

Neither are good, but it's better to know what the problem is, rather than just "it's a bit munted", right?
2021-11-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have no experience with the M3, but my old MP had similar issues.
2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 11-25 01:24
My M2P does this in bright sunlight,  could it be the same issue?

I know of the old issues of bright lights of setting sun affecting the OA but mine seems different
2021-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 11-25 10:10
I know of the old issues of bright lights of setting sun affecting the OA but mine seems different

Maybe the next firmware will address it,  there’s been a few OA failures shown on YouTube so far.  One where it flew into a goal post.
2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Nicodema Posted at 11-25 02:30
Suren, can I just confirm I've understood correctly. You get avoidance type behaviour when 1) flying in Normal AND 2) the OA is turned off?  If so, that's not jst sensors misdetecting stuff that isn't there. If it's turned off, it shouldn't provoke any behaviour. Only the landing protection should do anything, since that can't be turned off at the moment.

In the menu where you have bypass-brake and off for the OA or Apps I set that to off when I am up in the air but it still seems to be detecting something which is strange. This causes the drone to slow down and then speed up. It is very random
2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 11-25 03:08

That's my thinking as well. As you say maybe it does not really turn off until in Sports mode. Wish DJI could explain this to us
2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Nicodema Posted at 11-25 03:15
Indeed, that's what I'm trying to understand. If the OA doesn't really turn off, that's a different issue from the sensors reading false positives, isn't it.

Neither are good, but it's better to know what the problem is, rather than just "it's a bit munted", right?

What would be strange is, what is the OA detecting 90 meters in the sky? Drone still performs well with no other issues and this does not really affect me much but what IF, when the drone is doing advanced RTH it detects things not in the sky and decides to fly else where other than back to me
2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Montfrooij Posted at 11-25 04:46
I have no experience with the M3, but my old MP had similar issues.

I used to have issues with the Mavic 1 at sunset mostly but then we could completely turn off the OA on those drones
2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 11-25 10:11
Maybe the next firmware will address it,  there’s been a few OA failures shown on YouTube so far.  One where it flew into a goal post.

I have seen those videos as well, hopefully a quick firmware update will fix this issue.
2021-11-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Suren Posted at 11-25 10:15
I used to have issues with the Mavic 1 at sunset mostly but then we could completely turn off the OA on those drones

Yes, I kept it off always.
2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

I came across another post on Mavic Pilots of a guy that lost his drone. He also seems to have been having issues with the OA going crazy before the drone disconnected and flew away. Below is his comments from his YouTube channel.
Atort Aerials
2.05K subscribers
SUBSCRIBE
​@DJI Support is completely insane saying to me that I put my drone into sport mode and that’s why I crashed which I didn’t even crash!  If you even see in this video I was centered in between the buildings and would have totally heard and seen it if the drone crashed it was within VLOS and the only reason I put quickly into sport mode because even in this screen recording you can see obstacle avoidance going crazy for no reason and the drone stopped in normal positioning mode and stopped flying with my stick inputs completely 110%!  So imagine being safely in the middle and quickly toggling into sport mode and they saying that caused the drone to crash?!  How about the fact the drone wouldn’t fly at all and stopped mid air exactly where u see I’m at in this video completely unresponsive to any stick inputs?   It was showing obstacles around me and there wasn't either....what was upward 4.9' from me or to the sides and bottom I was 150 feet or whatever directly in the middle of everything.  Or how about that my connection goes black while hovering and stuck in the air and that wasn’t because I crashed into anything I was watching the drone hover!   I don’t know what they’re smoking but I don’t want any of it.they say I can pay $1198 for flyaway coverage replacement or give me 15% discount on new one DJI isn’t getting another dime from me.   They are absolutely insane they joke point wasn’t even registered correctly it was saying I was across the river yet all this other information is accurate? I don’t know how they think they can get away with this never wanting to take responsibility for anything.  
2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

2021-11-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Dji, if there is an issue with the OA, a firmware update is needed ASAP to fix it. I did not spend all this money to be a beta tester and lose my drone like the above pilot. I will also not be happy to pay more money to use care refresh if it was a faulty drone.
2021-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules