updated to Fly app 1.4.12 and it all went wrong with video feed
398 6 2021-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grazuncle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2365 ft
United Kingdom

I didn't know what was happening to the performance on my Mini 2 lately and got really down and frustrated with it

I check for firmware and software updates regualrly and let them happen on my Android Redmi Note phone  and Mini 2 when prompted by the fly app.. I don't necessarily go and test straightaway. I updated the app to 1.4.12

So a few day later with a local flight the video feed from the Mini to the display was quite laggy.. As this was over a built up housing area I put this down to Wifi interference on the day .. although I had not noticed anything like before.. Yesterday I went to a rural area where I have been 3 three previously and found the lagginess so bad as to be unusable.. two seconds of nothing (no change in video update) is a lot esp when frequent.

I gave up and came home.. I mntioned this to other in my chosen drone forum (Greyarro.ws  a UK forum) They said that any version of the Fly app is fine on apple/iphone but on Android offers nothing but trouble after 1.4.2... I rechecked the version and it offered an update again.. I let it go to see what version was gonig on this time.. it was 1.5.1.

I just uninstalled  the Fly app and put 1.4.2 on and a really responsive video feed even at distance in my urban area!  I'm pleased of course but confused that it gets worse with an update.. I'm reluctant to try bothering updating now..

This happened to others I wonder.. It had been great till version 1.4.12.. I was actaully thinking of selling it as faulty till I asked for help.
2021-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Grazuncle. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the exact model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist and may we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

2021-11-25
Use props
Grazuncle
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Stephen and thanks for taking an interest in my story

Technical Specification
Basic Information
model:        M1803E7SG
Vendor:        XIAOMI
Series:        Redmi Note 5

As I have mentioned I live in a built up area and within 200 meters i have never hand any problem with the video feed... Even in a rural area yesterday (with 1.4.12 installed) I had this laggy video (although I could fly a really long distance till yesterday when i got the laggy video problem immediately.

I tried it with 1.4.12 about two hours ago in my urban area and it was awful video feed and an hour ago (same location and set up) with 1.4.2 and it is as responsive as it always has been previous to 1.4.12.  I'm happy with it of course as it is usable now.

I don't really want to buy another Android phone (and iPhones are very expensive here) if it is no longer supported.. it was on the approval list when i bought it.

Thanks for your interest
2021-11-25
Use props
Grazuncle
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Grazuncle Posted at 11-25 02:53
Hi Stephen and thanks for taking an interest in my story

Technical Specification

I guess I'll have to stick with what I have and ignore the updates?

at least I can use it now.

Thanks
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Grazuncle Posted at 11-26 01:06
I guess I'll have to stick with what I have and ignore the updates?

at least I can use it now.

Not all android devices are supported, meaning it can lead to weird behavior.
I don't have issues on iOS here.
2021-11-26
Use props
Grazuncle
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-26 01:18
Not all android devices are supported, meaning it can lead to weird behavior.
I don't have issues on iOS here.

I'm pleased for you...

I did my research prior to looking at this combo and many sites showed my Redmi Note (Android) was excellent in compatibility and was on the DJI approved list when i bought it for the Mini2 and Fly app

It worked faultlessly till the 1.4.12 update and is working fine now with 1.4.2

Now it is suddenly incompatible?
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Grazuncle Posted at 11-26 02:20
I'm pleased for you...

I did my research prior to looking at this combo and many sites showed my Redmi Note (Android) was excellent in compatibility and was on the DJI approved list when i bought it for the Mini2 and Fly app

Well, since it is compatible (at least according to DJI), they should fix it for sure.
2021-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules