Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Flight distance : 6485269 ft
Taiwan

261644272_643785330391957_7415112114363821820_n.jpg
261051068_643781450392345_1049749887775384694_n.jpg

I found a green spot on my sunrise video.  I watched some YouTubers who complained about it.  It may be caused by poor lens coating.
Any solution?

Settings 4K 60fps Normal mode, no ND  filter.
Apple can upgrade iOS 15 for iPhone to reduce the green flare. I hope DJI can solve it too.   
Refer to https://techbeezer.com/canada/io ... fewer-green-flares/

2021-11-26
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Unfortunately lens flare is a perfectly normal artefact of having the sun in the frame. Not considered a defect, just a signature of each lens design. The coatings used inside the lens to improve optical quality are ironically what give each flare their colour.

To avoid lens flares, you need to keep the sun out of the frame. If you want to shoot into the sun however, you will usually end up with flares of one form or other.

Hope that helps
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks like a lens flare to me.
My iPhone has one, but exactly the same color etc. when I shoot into the sun.,
2021-11-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It is a lens flare, this one is particularly green and I’ve seen others with similar. Its not pretty in fact its the one lens flare thats ugly , i have seen some very nice flare coming off this lens if they could only get rid of this very strong green spot lens would be perfect .
2021-11-26
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Montfrooij Posted at 11-26 03:36
Looks like a lens flare to me.
My iPhone has one, but exactly the same color etc. when I shoot into the sun.,

It never happend in my Mavic Air 2.  If this is lens or hardware issue, I have a bad feeling. I may need to send it back to DJI for drone replacement. Hope not.
This shot ( same location) on Mavic Air 2 directly pointing to the sun without getting any flare or green spots. Settings: 4K 30 fps HDR, Auto , ND8 filter.

259421357_643840540386436_667647164715810527_n.jpg

2021-11-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-26 03:55
It never happend in my Mavic Air 2.  If this is lens or hardware issue, I have a bad feeling. I may need to send it back to DJI for drone replacement. Hope not.This shot ( same location) on Mavic Air 2 directly pointing to the sun without getting any flare or green spots. Settings: 4K 30 fps HDR, Auto , ND8 filter.

[view_image]

It never happend in my Mavic Air 2.  
Your Air 2 had a completely different lens, so its flare pattern is different.

If this is lens or hardware issue, I have a bad feeling.

It's not a lens or hardware issue.
The issue is that you had the camera pointing directly at the sun and that's just the way the M3 lens flares when you do that.
There have been quite a few other threads about this.

2021-11-26
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Labroides Posted at 11-26 04:31

Can ND filter or UV filter help to eliminate the green light spots?
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-26 03:55
It never happend in my Mavic Air 2.  If this is lens or hardware issue, I have a bad feeling. I may need to send it back to DJI for drone replacement. Hope not.This shot ( same location) on Mavic Air 2 directly pointing to the sun without getting any flare or green spots. Settings: 4K 30 fps HDR, Auto , ND8 filter.

[view_image]

If I'm correct, this is caused by light hitting the sensor and being reflected to the backside of the glass and bouncing back to the sensor as a small (green usually) dot.
Not much you can do about it.
As stated, my iPhone has the exact same behavior when shooting straight into the sun.
Now I have not tested it in other drones, but the more glass elements in the system, the more chance of this happening.

I can't test it, since I don't have a M3, so I don't know if it is happening with all M3's but I'm not sure if an ND filter will prevent this (that would mean the last piece of glass is the cause of it)
2021-11-26
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Montfrooij Posted at 11-26 05:00
If I'm correct, this is caused by light hitting the sensor and being reflected to the backside of the glass and bouncing back to the sensor as a small (green usually) dot.
Not much you can do about it.
As stated, my iPhone has the exact same behavior when shooting straight into the sun.

Also watch this video with green dots  at 0:55 - 1:38   
2021-11-26
Use props
Ma Junsung
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1062011 ft
South Korea

macic 3 camera lens has really bad quality.
I know that lens reflect sunlight or lighting objects and make lens flare.  and camera maker work hard to reduce lens flare.
But DJI doesn’t
It ‘s too bad
37A9B822-8406-468A-824C-BB04F415A655.jpeg
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-26 05:22
Also watch this video with green dots  at 0:55 - 1:38   https://youtu.be/BCfNKH-IjR4

Yes it is simple.
Lens flare.
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Also watch this video with green dots  at 0:55 - 1:38   https://youtu.be/BCfNKH-IjR4

Here is an example from my iPhone.
2021-11-26
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Montfrooij Posted at 11-26 05:38
Here is an example from my iPhone.
[view_image]

I believe that some filmmakers need to take photos/videos for commercial purposes, and they don’t want to see this happen to their Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Cine. If changing settings/aperture or using ND filters can help, it will be easy.  
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Even my Nikon lenses that cost about the same as the Mini 2 have it sometimes.
(not as often as my iPhone, but still)
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Funny enough, my Mini 2 seems to be 'ok', but I have the habit of avoiding shooting with the sun in the frame, so maybe it also has this.

The mavic pro was relatively good when it came to lens flare.
So it is a bit of 'luck' that you need to have with the camera system design.
Probably they have to choose between 2 'bad' things.
And my guess is that this is caused by countermeasures against 'normal' lens flares.

This shot is by Mavic Pro and it 'should' have had the green dot when I would have used my iPhone.
But it does not. Instead it shows these flares.
And my iPhone does not.

So my simple logic is that it could be that these coatings they use to prevent the 'nice' lens flares of the Mavic Pro are the cause of the green dots.
But that is really no science.
2021-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-26 05:41
I believe that some filmmakers need to take photos/videos for commercial purposes, and they don’t want to see this happen to their Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Cine. If changing settings/aperture or using ND filters can help, it will be easy.

It all depends on which layer of glass is the cause of this reflection.
So that is something you would have to try.
I have given some thoughts on this green dots in my previous reply.
Not sure if that is true, but it does make some sense to me.
2021-11-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-26 04:37

No .. it won't make any difference.
Keeping the sun out of your frame will.
2021-11-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Lens flare happens with EVERY multi-element lens, from cameras to binoculars. It is a product of the design. Lens coatings can help to reduce it, but none can eliminate it. Watch a movie or tv production. Camera/lens combos that can cost $100,000 or more still have it.
2021-11-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-26 15:16
Lens flare happens with EVERY multi-element lens, from cameras to binoculars. It is a product of the design. Lens coatings can help to reduce it, but none can eliminate it. Watch a movie or tv production. Camera/lens combos that can cost $100,000 or more still have it.

Most cinematic footage these days seems to have lens flare in it and not by accident…
2021-11-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-26 15:25
Most cinematic footage these days seems to have lens flare in it and not by accident…

Most cinematographers have learned to not only live with it, but to use it as a feature.
2021-11-26
Use props
Kyniek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 849403 ft
Poland

You can use lens flare as advantage! Personally,  I like that effect - it adds more dramatic feeling , especially during filming - if you know how to provoke flares. It is more common in wide lens
2021-11-26
Use props
EFRPIC
Second Officer

United States

This is a Hasselblad lens, a very pricey and high quality product. Of course, DJI being the owner, there is a significant cost savings in their manufacturing vs. and end user getting a lens.

Without getting into lens design theory and science, I would agree with the comments of the experienced photogs on this board.

You might be able to process your video with a LUT that is customized a bit to reduce the green and hopefully not diminish other areas. If it's a photo (hopefully RAW/DNG format) you can do some adjusting on Photoshop, Lightroom or other products.

Photography and filmmaking are "arts". Although modern technology frequently delivers "perfect - whatever that means" results, there are still many things that physics can throw at us. Just like composition, it is the photographer/filmmaker that needs to decide what will and will not work. At least until technology can deliver perfection every time, and then "art " will have nothing to do with the equation.

2021-11-26
Use props
LMuliolis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2087779 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-26 12:51
No .. it won't make any difference.
Keeping the sun out of your frame will.

But I love to take pictures of sunsets and sunrises, I'm disappointed, I rarely had this large greed dot with my M2P.   It's consistent with the M3..   Sigh    
2021-12-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

LMuliolis Posted at 12-2 10:43
But I love to take pictures of sunsets and sunrises, I'm disappointed, I rarely had this large greed dot with my M2P.   It's consistent with the M3..   Sigh     https://youtu.be/wjZJNkk1nZ8

I rarely had this large green dot with my M2P
You never did.
The two cameras have completely different lenses and flare patterns.
2021-12-2
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

I often find green dots in my sunrise shots on Mavic 3. The only way to hide the green spots is changing the angle of gimbal. The adjustable aperture might or might not help.  The green dots are really annoying.  
2021-12-6
Use props
fans5a7f8f0b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49783 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2021-11-26 04:31

This green dot which looks like a perfect circle, ruins the shot every time. You don't even have to point the drone directly into the sun for the dot to appear. You can angle away from the sun while still keeping it in the scene and the dot will show. Basically if the sun is in the picture anywhere and you're filming with a Mavic 3 then the green dot is going to be there. That sucks. Sorry, I don't accept that I have to accept a green circle "lens flare" when I want to shoot with the sun in the picture. This has something to do with the Mavic 3 lens or coating, etc.... The reason I know is that I also have a Mavic 2pro and I can fly straight into the sun and NEVER get a lens flare. Here's a video to prove it, shot with a Mavic 2 pro...
https://youtu.be/2d_hR7iwJ70

2022-10-4
Use props
fans5a7f8f0b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49783 ft
United States

Kyniek Posted at 2021-11-26 15:51
You can use lens flare as advantage! Personally,  I like that effect - it adds more dramatic feeling , especially during filming - if you know how to provoke flares. It is more common in wide lens

Sure, agreed. But not when the lens flare looks like a sharp green circle! Ruins the shot every time.
2022-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans5a7f8f0b Posted at 10-4 19:44
This green dot which looks like a perfect circle, ruins the shot every time. You don't even have to point the drone directly into the sun for the dot to appear. You can angle away from the sun while still keeping it in the scene and the dot will show. Basically if the sun is in the picture anywhere and you're filming with a Mavic 3 then the green dot is going to be there. That sucks. Sorry, I don't accept that I have to accept a green circle "lens flare" when I want to shoot with the sun in the picture. This has something to do with the Mavic 3 lens or coating, etc.... The reason I know is that I also have a Mavic 2pro and I can fly straight into the sun and NEVER get a lens flare. Here's a video to prove it, shot with a Mavic 2 pro...
https://youtu.be/2d_hR7iwJ70

I don't accept that I have to accept a green circle "lens flare" when I want to shoot with the sun in the picture.
That's like saying that you don't accept gravity.
Shoot into the sun with the Mavic 3 camera and you will have a green spot
2022-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules