Mavic 3 Cine and SD Card
5375 5 2021-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rincflyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28392 ft
United States

With the Mavic 3 Cine can you use both an SD Card along with the built in 1TB SSD and record to the SD Card H265/264?
Or is saving to the SD Card not possible?

2021-11-27
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can use either, it's very easy to switch real-time. The only thing you CAN'T record to SD card is ProRes movie, that goes to SSD only.
Naturally, you can't switch mid-capture either, just to be clear.
2021-11-27
Use props
rincflyer
lvl.3
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 11-27 07:46
You can use either, it's very easy to switch real-time. The only thing you CAN'T record to SD card is ProRes movie, that goes to SSD only.
Naturally, you can't switch mid-capture either, just to be clear.

Thanks for confirming.  Glad to know it is an option since using the SD Card may be easier at times to pull the video off the drone.
2021-11-28
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rincflyer Posted at 11-28 08:11
Thanks for confirming.  Glad to know it is an option since using the SD Card may be easier at times to pull the video off the drone.

Sure, glad to help.
I tried both methods, i.e. extracting card and using  a reader and reading from the drone directly.
In my limited experience, reading directly from the drone was simpler. Besides, this is pretty much the only way to to get the data from SSD, unless you want to copy to SD first, so in my mind downloading from drone would be my primary mode of operation. TBH, I don't even plan to use SD card, unless I have to, or some new cirmstances arise.
Granted direct download requires an extra battery usage, and I read in several places about people complaining how slow the transfer is. But for me the speed was acceptable, and keeping the battery up for a few minutes did not seem to be a major issue.
Yet again, I didn't have a chance to do any serious work with M3 yet, so it's possible that I'll change my mind in the future
2021-11-28
Use props
rincflyer
lvl.3
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 11-28 08:41
Sure, glad to help.
I tried both methods, i.e. extracting card and using  a reader and reading from the drone directly.
In my limited experience, reading directly from the drone was simpler. Besides, this is pretty much the only way to to get the data from SSD, unless you want to copy to SD first, so in my mind downloading from drone would be my primary mode of operation. TBH, I don't even plan to use SD card, unless I have to, or some new cirmstances arise.

Thanks again.  I ordered the CIne (gets delivered in a few days).  It is my first DJI.  Been using a Go Pro Karma so a big step up.  I do not need ProRes (for now) but got the Cine since I wanted the Pro Controller and figured the SSD would be good.  I read that transferring from SSD could be slow so that is why I am asking about the SD Card.  I also read some with Windows Computers (which I have) have had driver issues with the computer seeing the drive when connected to the Mavic.
2021-11-28
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rincflyer Posted at 11-28 08:50
Thanks again.  I ordered the CIne (gets delivered in a few days).  It is my first DJI.  Been using a Go Pro Karma so a big step up.  I do not need ProRes (for now) but got the Cine since I wanted the Pro Controller and figured the SSD would be good.  I read that transferring from SSD could be slow so that is why I am asking about the SD Card.  I also read some with Windows Computers (which I have) have had driver issues with the computer seeing the drive when connected to the Mavic.

I hear you. I'm in a very similar boat. One thing I learned, no H265 for me. My programming/photography oriented desktop with an old video card (can't find a new one as the price skyrocketed due to the covid-related shortage of chips) cannot handle that format gracefully
2021-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules