Recording Audio through a Time Lapse?
1857 12 2021-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skaven252
lvl.2
Sweden

It could be an interesting idea to make a sound recording over a time lapse or a hyperlapse, to have a "sonic time lapse" to accompany the picture.
I have in fact experimented with this idea in my daily time lapses (using a different camera). Basically I just record the entire day on an audio recorder (as a low quality mp3 to not make a huge file), then use PaulStretch to squash it to the length of the time lapse.

So. To do this at 'runtime', you can't just record a short, shutter-length snippet of sound for each frame - that would be very stuttery, and would not represent the sound of the whole interval. Instead, you'd need to average the frequencies across the interval. For example if your time lapse frame interval is 3 seconds, you'd need to record 3 seconds of sound and average the frequencies of these 3 seconds, to the length of one frame with FFT analysis. You would also need to blend between the "sonic frames", to make a smooth but responsive soundscape accompany the time lapse.

It's doable, but it's a bit complicated. Maybe too complicated just to have a neat little extra feature on the camera. But I thought I'd leave this here anyway.

(and yeah, it's always doable with the separate recorder + PaulStretch solution I have going)
2021-11-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2021-11-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Stunning timelapse footage, Skaven! Thanks for sharing this with us.
2021-11-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great idea, but also a bit time consuming.  
2021-11-28
Use props
Skaven252
lvl.2
Sweden

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-28 07:42
Great idea, but also a bit time consuming.

Yes, it is quite time consuming when done manually. So it could pre pretty cool if a DJI cam could do it automatically.
2021-11-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks great.
What camera did you use?
2021-11-28
Use props
Skaven252
lvl.2
Sweden

RE: Recording Audio through a Time Lapse?

Montfrooij Posted at 11-28 09:36
What camera did you use?

Insta360 One R with the 1-inch sensor module + polarizing filter.
2021-11-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Skaven252 Posted at 11-28 09:40
Insta360 One R with the 1-inch sensor module + polarizing filter.

I already thought it was not the Pocket 2 with the heavy distortion.
But very nice footage!
How did you get it to capture both night and day so well exposed?
2021-11-28
Use props
Skaven252
lvl.2
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 11-28 09:49
How did you get it to capture both night and day so well exposed?

In time lapse mode, if the camera is in auto mode it will gradually shift the exposure to a good level for both day and night. However when editing the video I still split the video at the half-way points between day and night, and apply different tone grading presets to them, then apply a cross-fade to mask the cut.

There could still be room for lower ISO and longer exposure at night with that camera - the image is a tad noisy.
2021-11-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Skaven252 Posted at 11-28 09:53
In time lapse mode, if the camera is in auto mode it will gradually shift the exposure to a good level for both day and night. However when editing the video I still split the video at the half-way points between day and night, and apply different tone grading presets to them, then apply a cross-fade to mask the cut.

There could still be room for lower ISO and longer exposure at night with that camera - the image is a tad noisy.

Oh that is nice (that it does that).
No flickering?
2021-11-28
Use props
Skaven252
lvl.2
Sweden

Nope. But the Pocket 2 has the same thing going - in time lapse mode it keeps the exposure delta low. As in, it won't let it change much between frames. All the cameras I've used in time lapse mode (Pocket 2, Insta360 One R, Sony RX0-ii and Sony A7s) seem to do this.
2021-11-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Skaven252 Posted at 11-28 11:38
Nope. But the Pocket 2 has the same thing going - in time lapse mode it keeps the exposure delta low. As in, it won't let it change much between frames. All the cameras I've used in time lapse mode (Pocket 2, Insta360 One R, Sony RX0-ii and Sony A7s) seem to do this.

Oh, I have to try it out soon.
My Nikon DSLR flickers like crazy.
2021-11-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skaven252 Posted at 11-28 08:11
Yes, it is quite time consuming when done manually. So it could pre pretty cool if a DJI cam could do it automatically.

Pretty cool indeed.  
2021-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules