2156 19 2021-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

A question for video pros: from a purely technical standpoint, does it make sense to film and process in 5.1K if the target rendering is going to be 4K? I know, in a photo world the standard approach is to keep your content in the highest quality until the very end.

5.1 definitely takes more space and requires more effort from the rendering machine, which in my case is not a video station.
Considering that most of the world is only catching on even 4K capable screens (HD seems to be the current screen-du-jour), and I'm not going to do any big-screen-worthy footage, but rather casual stuff, is it even worth wasting card space and processing time on handling those large files?

2021-11-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Sorry I was about to share my thoughts but saw the question is for pros and I am not
2021-11-28
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 11-28 10:57
Sorry I was about to share my thoughts but saw the question is for pros and I am not

Lol, please do. I simply want to to hear from experienced people
2021-11-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DarthSLR Posted at 11-28 11:01
Lol, please do. I simply want to to hear from experienced people

I was joking
This is my personal opinion as a non-pro filmmaker - I prefer 4K 60 fps instead of 5.x K 30 fps - I have not M3 yet but I had EVO 2 pro and Air 2S (that's why the .x instead of .1)  - people who will tell You higher resolution will allow You to zoom in without losing data are right - but I personally very seldom zoom  but often fly on speed and 60 fps are priceless in this case (I fly at the moment DJI FPV and never saw such smoot footage before!)
2021-11-28
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 11-28 11:29
I was joking  
This is my personal opinion as a non-pro filmmaker - I prefer 4K 60 fps instead of 5.x K 30 fps - I have not M3 yet but I had EVO 2 pro and Air 2S (that's why the .x instead of .1)  - people who will tell You higher resolution will allow You to zoom in without losing data are right - but I personally very seldom zoom  but often fly on speed and 60 fps are priceless in this case (I fly at the moment DJI FPV and never saw such smoot footage before!)

Thank you, appreciate your sharing!
2021-11-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Recording in higher resolution is an advantage, yes you can crop but mostly rendering to lower res IE from 5.1k 60fps to 4K 30FPS will render very smooth footage . Yes it takes space memory and time. But if you’re getting into it for fun then get editing program like LumaFusion great app tremendous value it operates on iPad costs $30 and handles 5.1k like hot knife through butter. Its a simple app to use wit loads of tutorials on YT. It has direct connection to YT and most social media platforms and all footage can be stored on hard drives.
2021-11-28
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-28 12:09
Recording in higher resolution is an advantage, yes you can crop but mostly rendering to lower res IE from 5.1k 60fps to 4K 30FPS will render very smooth footage . Yes it takes space memory and time. But if you’re getting into it for fun then get editing program like LumaFusion great app tremendous value it operates on iPad costs $30 and handles 5.1k like hot knife through butter. Its a simple app to use wit loads of tutorials on YT. It has direct connection to YT and most social media platforms and all footage can be stored on hard drives.

I heard of LumaFusion a few times already. Still trying to see if I can my DaVinciResolve17 skills up the snuff... Still like the idea of editing on a big screen
2021-11-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DarthSLR. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this matter. Have a safe and a happy flying always.  
2021-11-28
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 11-28 11:29
I was joking  
This is my personal opinion as a non-pro filmmaker - I prefer 4K 60 fps instead of 5.x K 30 fps - I have not M3 yet but I had EVO 2 pro and Air 2S (that's why the .x instead of .1)  - people who will tell You higher resolution will allow You to zoom in without losing data are right - but I personally very seldom zoom  but often fly on speed and 60 fps are priceless in this case (I fly at the moment DJI FPV and never saw such smoot footage before!)

What about using the 50fps..?
2021-11-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

BrianKushner Posted at 11-28 20:56
What about using the 50fps..?

Ha, M3 can do this - great. But I am posting 4k - have no device with higher res yet. And 5+k are tougher on hardware to edit and bigger for storing...
So when (if?) I buy M3 I'll do some experiments but most likely will stik to 4k60
2021-11-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DarthSLR Posted at 11-28 12:13
I heard of LumaFusion a few times already. Still trying to see if I can my DaVinciResolve17 skills up the snuff... Still like the idea of editing on a big screen

Davinci is a great tool I use studio for years and am very happy with results!
2021-11-28
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 11-28 21:09
Davinci is a great tool I use studio for years and am very happy with results!

My Windows 10 PC does not seem to like h265. I was told iPad Pro would fly through it.
The thing is, I don't do much of a video, but I'm trying to get better, so I'm trying to find what is a good tool for me to use in the long run.
2021-11-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DarthSLR Posted at 11-28 21:20
My Windows 10 PC does not seem to like h265. I was told iPad Pro would fly through it.
The thing is, I don't do much of a video, but I'm trying to get better, so I'm trying to find what is a good tool for me to use in the long run.

Never used an iPad, but Yes Davinci requires some HW - I use it on a laptop But a Video card is important - I have RTX3070 and it exports at 60+ fps
2021-11-28
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 11-28 22:15
Never used an iPad, but Yes Davinci requires some HW - I use it on a laptop But a Video card is important - I have RTX3070 and it exports at 60+ fps

That's the issue. My video card is about 6-7 years old, and with the damn chip shortage I can't get any decent new one for a reasonable price.
2021-11-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm not sure how 'good' the resolving power of the M3 lenses are, but on the smaller drones (everything so far), I see  little difference between 2.7K and 4K.
So I shoot at 2.7K usually, to get the best optimum between file size, processing power needed (rendering times) and image quality.
Maybe the M3 will be much better at 4K, but I have yet to see proof of that.
2021-11-29
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Montfrooij Posted at 11-29 00:06
I'm not sure how 'good' the resolving power of the M3 lenses are, but on the smaller drones (everything so far), I see  little difference between 2.7K and 4K.
So I shoot at 2.7K usually, to get the best optimum between file size, processing power needed (rendering times) and image quality.

Interesting observation. I made several comparisons between 2.7 and 4K with my MP back then and scratched 2.7 as too much of a compromise with quality never tried again
2021-11-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

alex_markov Posted at 11-29 01:36
Interesting observation. I made several comparisons between 2.7 and 4K with my MP back then and scratched 2.7 as too much of a compromise with quality never tried again

For me it was the other way around. Especially with the Mavic Pro that had a limited bitrate.
2021-11-29
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-29 00:06
I'm not sure how 'good' the resolving power of the M3 lenses are, but on the smaller drones (everything so far), I see  little difference between 2.7K and 4K.

Well, the smaller drones have smaller sensors (and hence smaller lenses), so it's reasonable to think you can't produce higher quality video. Mavic 3, however, is a different story, so I'm really curious to see some proper reports on the subject.
2021-11-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DarthSLR Posted at 11-29 07:11
Well, the smaller drones have smaller sensors (and hence smaller lenses), so it's reasonable to think you can't produce higher quality video. Mavic 3, however, is a different story, so I'm really curious to see some proper reports on the subject.

I do wonder if the lens is that good.
But only a M3 owner willing to shoot and share some source files shot under the same conditions can give that answer.
2021-11-29
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-29 07:29
I do wonder if the lens is that good.
But only a M3 owner willing to shoot and share some source files shot under the same conditions can give that answer.

I'll do that once I get my M3C back, unless some more advanced video people do that first  
2021-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules