Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI FPV -- A Ferrari for a Demolition Derby?
624 12 2021-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CoolestRides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5076896 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you're not an expert FPV pilot (I'm a newbie)  I  don't recommend the DJI FPV.   3rd time out I crashed it, and it cost $240 to fix it on the refresh program  Now I'm afraid to fly it.  Bought a Protek 35 ,  that I can repair myself and starting over,  There's great safety features on ithe DJI, its  beautifully made, and I appreciate the quick exit from Manual, but I'm just afraid to do any FPV with it.  Crashing is inevitable in FPV so I think I'll stick with drones I can fix myself.     Another knock, my props and the prop guards show in the camera so it ruins the cinematic aspect.  It's a bummer.   Sorry to say it.

2021-11-29
Use props
SgtRay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

Sorry to hear it. But you have to make the choice.
As people can see from the vids I post I'm having a ball! As for if I'm a pro... I don't think so. But I'm not new. And I have built a drone or two. My current skill level is where it is due to this drone though. So depending on how someone want to fly I still recommend it.

At our club their are about 8 so far who have it. from 40 to 70. None of us pro's. Only 2 (yes one was me) has crashed. I've had mine since day one and I fixed it myself and talked about it in a vid. There are enough Vids of this drone now that anyone should be able to see what they're getting into by now,
2021-11-29
Use props
CoolestRides
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SgtRay Posted at 11-29 13:42
Sorry to hear it. But you have to make the choice.
As people can see from the vids I post I'm having a ball! As for if I'm a pro... I don't think so. But I'm not new. And I have built a drone or two. My current skill level is where it is due to this drone though. So depending on how someone want to fly I still recommend it.

Ok,  I think I'll build my skills and hold onto it for a while.  Glad to hear you enjoy it.   Is there an adjustment for the  Field of View to get rid of the props?  Spending many hours on Liftoff, and the DJI  flight simulator, I am getting better, but  still not good.   Got a link for your repair video?  How do you fix a torn out motor?
2021-11-29
Use props
SgtRay
lvl.4
United States

There is a setting to remove the field of view for the props. Considering I do chases the props have never been a problem for me. But I do know some people don't like having them in the shot. There's a way to set it to where they won't show up in the shocked. I'm not sure if that stops you from seeing them in the goggles. But I know you can remove them from the final video. Look through the settings because I don't remember which option it is.

When mine broke the motors ripped out of the mount and the arm broke. Even if the arm had not cracked it would have had to been replaced because once the motors pull out of the plastic arm the arm is no good. Consequently neither was the motor. Lol the whole repair job cost me $54. But there's also a place that would have sold me the arm and the motor mounted complete all I would have had to have done is solder in the connections And that would have cost  $150. I ended up ordering both as you'll hear in the video

https://youtu.be/v3d5aXovjKQ
2021-11-29
Use props
SgtRay
lvl.4
United States

Also I typed DJI FPV arm repair into YouTube and saw several videos on how to do it that might be better than what I talked about.

This is one of them

https://youtu.be/5Fti49PDDbU
2021-11-29
Use props
CoolestRides
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SgtRay Posted at 11-29 16:26
Also I typed DJI FPV arm repair into YouTube and saw several videos on how to do it that might be better than what I talked about.

This is one of them

Thank You SgtRay.  Other than trottle down, is there a way to kill the power on the drone?   After the crash my drone started bouncing around tearing itself to pieces, just as it does in Liftoff.
2021-11-30
Use props
SgtRay
lvl.4
United States

Check the menu on the controller in the goggles in the goggles I think one of the updates allows you to program 1 of the buttons for motor kill
2021-11-30
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SgtRay Posted at 11-30 06:47
Check the menu on the controller in the goggles in the goggles I think one of the updates allows you to program 1 of the buttons for motor kill

Got my courage back up, and taking it very slowly.   It is truly a great machine.  
2021-12-3
Use props
xIcarus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3239127 ft
United States

It is extremely capable.  Sounds like you are doing manual flight?  Basing that on your comment on how you like how easy it is to bring out of manual mode.  Don't feel like that's necessary to have a good time with it.  I fly in S mode exclusively and zip down the road at 6" at 50mph+, fly through the woods and weave trees at 30mph+, skim tree tops within a foot, etc, etc.  I never fly in manual - crash within 30 secs in Sim every time, and have an absolute blast with my FPV.  I will never go back to line of sight flying or the hybrid phone-on-remotes.  I completely disagree that it's more likely to crash in FPV, I think the opposite is true.  And regulations aside, being able to fly a couple miles away at with hundreds of trees in between the goggles and drone while streaming crisp 60FPS 4K and zero screen glare is unmatched by non-FPV.  I can plop in the woods and buzz through trees for a mile or 2 without worrying about getting lost, something you don't get with a non-GPS drone.
2021-12-5
Use props
xIcarus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3239127 ft
United States

Also prop guards might be nice for flying indoors or in a tight area, but I would not use them in general.  They absolutely affect the flight dynamics in a negative way.  I have tried 2 different styles and found the same thing on both with how nimble the drone is, especially at speed.  I have found the FPV to be a sturdy drone that can take quite a beating.  Blows right through small bushes and branches and barely flinches bouncing off larger ones.
2021-12-5
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

xIcarus Posted at 12-5 13:55
Also prop guards might be nice for flying indoors or in a tight area, but I would not use them in general.  They absolutely affect the flight dynamics in a negative way.  I have tried 2 different styles and found the same thing on both with how nimble the drone is, especially at speed.  I have found the FPV to be a sturdy drone that can take quite a beating.  Blows right through small bushes and branches and barely flinches bouncing off larger ones.

Thank You Xlcarus.  Yes, I bought prop guards, my drone crashed on asphalt and then proceeded to tear itself to pieces.   Bought the more I fly it the more I appreciate how smooth, powerful and precise a machine it is.
2021-12-5
Use props
maihem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 251211 ft
United States

BarnSwallow Posted at 12-5 14:40
Thank You Xlcarus.  Yes, I bought prop guards, my drone crashed on asphalt and then proceeded to tear itself to pieces.   Bought the more I fly it the more I appreciate how smooth, powerful and precise a machine it is.

When I was learning FPV flying on cheaper drones, the worse crashes I had were on asphalt.  We started going to parks or school fields to fly when no one was around and that kept us from having to repair quite as many things.  Grass or dirt is much more forgiving than pavement.
2021-12-7
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

maihem Posted at 12-7 06:18
When I was learning FPV flying on cheaper drones, the worse crashes I had were on asphalt.  We started going to parks or school fields to fly when no one was around and that kept us from having to repair quite as many things.  Grass or dirt is much more forgiving than pavement.

Yes, I found that out the hard way.   Got a more repair friendly drone, Protek 35,  which I need because I can't fly worth a damn.  Broke the prop guard the first flight.
2021-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules