Landing problem in breezy conditions
902 13 2021-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_A8aeRUwNBtkb
lvl.2
United States

Hello,

I've owned a Mavic Mini 2 for just over a month now and I'm having a blast with it.   The only real flying problems I've experienced so far is landing, which should normally be one of the easiest manuevers to accomplish considering the Mini 2's automatic landing protection system.   However, it's the automatic landing feature that I'm having a hard time interfacing with, unfortunately.   

Specficially, I fly frequently in moderately breezy conditions that are within the Mini 2's design speficiations.   Actual flight is no problem for me whatsoever, but when I come back to land above my landing pad, the auto landing system sometimes gives me grief in the aforementioned breezy conditions (10-15 mph winds).   What happens is that I manually manuever the Mini2 over the landing pad in a perfect setdown position, then press down on the vertical controller joystick and let the auto land system take over (as it always does by design).   The problem arises when a gust of wind happens during the autoland phase and blows the drone off course before it completes the landing.   It's not off course by much in this situation, but with a typical sized landing pad the drone's landing trajectory gets skewed just enough to one side of the landing pad for a propellor blade to snag a leaf, piece of grass, etc.   This is just plain annoying since I have no control after the autoland system takes over at about two feet above the ground.   

I am surmising that the autoland system has no capacity to correct for wind drift in this situation, even with the down vision sensors doing their thing?   The Mini 2 simply seems to go into a damped vertical speed mode to land but has no ability to maintain a precise horizontal position in a breeze to land centered on the the landing pad.  Again, I always manually set up a landing in a perfect position prior to letting the autoland engage.  I  always fly with full GPS lock and both the compass and MMU properly calibrated.   Normal flight is smooth and precise in a hover.   In calm winds by contrast, precise landings on a pad are effortless and consistent.   

Is my only solution just rigging up a huge landing pad when flying in breezy conditions or might there be a trick to this?   

Thanks so much for any insight or advice you can offer.       

2021-11-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Hand catch it. Search YouTube for how to videos.
2021-11-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

In autolanding you can still use the RC sticks to manual control/assist the landing.

2021-12-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 for Hand catching in these situations.
2021-12-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Couple of options come to mind.  One being to hand recover.  Since I live on a boat I always hand launch and recover.  The other option you have is to manually control the landing using the RC sticks.  I love my Mini 2 and glad you are enjoying yours.  
2021-12-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another one saying hand catch but, as JJB said, both sticks remain fully functional during the landing phase, just use them carefully.
2021-12-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I hand catch 99% of the time, this is favourable to me because of the gimbal, to me it seems far too flimsy, therefore i want to reduce any sort of knock to it as i can, plus its easier to adjust your hand below the drone and very easy to pull your hand out of the way giving you plenty of room to cancel the landing if needed (not happened yet mind), if landing on a pad, there is normally a reason for the pad, uneven ground etc, you're much closer to the ground with far less wiggle room to abort at the last second. I don't know, i just feel safer for the drone catching it than I do landing it on the ground, that's just me though, YMMV
2021-12-4
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

+1 for hand catching. I would recommend hand launches as well. If it is very windy, just go straight under the drone and catch it an arms length above your head.
2021-12-5
Use props
msgyorkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46493 ft
United Kingdom

I too hand catch.  Just seems to me to be a better way of retrieving rather than watch the thing flop onto a hard surface.  Plus it looks pretty cool to any bystanders who are watching!   
2021-12-6
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi get a set of leg extensions which will keep the propellers out of the grass, I use them all the time on my original Mavic Pro. If you try to hand catch (which I never have) have a  box of band aids handy!!
2021-12-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 12-6 03:52
Hi get a set of leg extensions which will keep the propellers out of the grass, I use them all the time on my original Mavic Pro. If you try to hand catch (which I never have) have a  box of band aids handy!!

If ya cut ya self hand catching a drone then youre doing something wrong ;)
2021-12-6
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 12-6 04:30
If ya cut ya self hand catching a drone then youre doing something wrong ;)

I agree totally, that's why I've never tried, seems to be asking for trouble.
2021-12-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 12-6 08:02
I agree totally, that's why I've never tried, seems to be asking for trouble.

I hand catch my P4P and 99% of the time i hand catch the Mini 2, so easy and safe to be honest with you, far safer than the P4P
2021-12-7
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Bashy Posted at 12-7 07:49
I hand catch my P4P and 99% of the time i hand catch the Mini 2, so easy and safe to be honest with you, far safer than the P4P

it is indeed easier to catch the mini2 than a bigger drone and less risky.

Handcatching the mini 2 for another reason. Had some gimbal problems when sand particles got around my gimbal. After blowing the dust/sand out, the problem was solved. Since then I handlaunch / handcatch the mini2 every single time.
The gimbal is more sensitive to dust and sand than the bigger models.

The M2P I only handcatch if the landing surface is being the problem. Being in a bushy place and only 1 rock in the open to launch from. The rock seemed to contain iron particles. The drone's compass went haywire. No other option than handlaunch and handcatch.
2021-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules