Mavic 3 SD Card Question... Or issue?
2006 11 2021-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cloudwalker
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi all. I may be missing a setting but I noticed that when the Mavic 3 records to the SD card the clip/file last approx 3 minutes then it will automatically stop recording and automatically restart recording creating a new clip/file continuing where the previous one left off. Noticed this on both my Prograde and Samsung SD cards. Actually I never notice on the remote that the M3 has stopped recording but when I go to play back on my PC the rocording is split in to seperate files about 3 min each. So if it is a 5 minute recording I will end up with two clips. One about three minutes and the other about 2 minutes. Any thoughts?  
2021-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They are pretty seamless and measured in GB’s, you won’t see any indication on the app that it has stopped an restarted.
2021-12-1
Use props
Cloudwalker
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-1 09:03
They are pretty seamless and measured in GB’s, you won’t see any indication on the app that it has stopped an restarted.

So its limiting to recorded clip time to GBs even though its a 256GB card?
2021-12-1
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s a limitation of the FAT Ex file system, nothing to worry about. Your post production software will be able to join the files seamlessly.

2021-12-1
Use props
KerryG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is pretty much standard on any camera that uses MicroSD cards
2021-12-1
Use props
Cloudwalker
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks guys. Did not know that. Feel better now.
2021-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Cloudwalker Posted at 12-1 10:59
Thanks guys. Did not know that. Feel better now.

You won’t notice in the end product .
2021-12-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DJI do this on all their aircraft. It is a hangover from an old import duty law that taxed cameras differently to video recorders. The file will be split into segments with a maximum size of 4GB each. They can be joined seamlessly together using a video editor. It has nothing to do with the FAT file system.
2021-12-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Cloudwalker. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.
2021-12-1
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 12-1 12:57
DJI do this on all their aircraft. It is a hangover from an old import duty law that taxed cameras differently to video recorders. The file will be split into segments with a maximum size of 4GB each. They can be joined seamlessly together using a video editor. It has nothing to do with the FAT file system.

An import duty that is standard across the globe, whatever next!

2021-12-2
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 12-1 12:57
DJI do this on all their aircraft. It is a hangover from an old import duty law that taxed cameras differently to video recorders. The file will be split into segments with a maximum size of 4GB each. They can be joined seamlessly together using a video editor. It has nothing to do with the FAT file system.

Umm, that's not what I remember. The EU import duty thing was a max record limit of 30 minutes, so that a DSLR isn't classed as a "Video Camera". Not an issue now as you say, but the 4GB file limit is a left over from the FAT32 format, which isn't necessary now, due to the exFAT system supporting larger files than we have any storage devices to hold.

There is a case for chunking into files around this size, so that in the case of corruption you might be able to sacrifice a single file but save the rest, but generally there are data reclaim programs that can save corrupted files from the bin.

So yeah, in general is is a bit of a historical limit, albeit still a very common one.
2021-12-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Nicodema Posted at 12-2 03:13
Umm, that's not what I remember. The EU import duty thing was a max record limit of 30 minutes, so that a DSLR isn't classed as a "Video Camera". Not an issue now as you say, but the 4GB file limit is a left over from the FAT32 format, which isn't necessary now, due to the exFAT system supporting larger files than we have any storage devices to hold.

There is a case for chunking into files around this size, so that in the case of corruption you might be able to sacrifice a single file but save the rest, but generally there are data reclaim programs that can save corrupted files from the bin.

No, it is not a result of the FAT32 format limitation, as DJI aircraft have been able to accept and use ExFAT formatted SD cards for ages. It is an intentional action performed by the video system.
2021-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules