Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Best car charger for Mavic 3
340 21 2021-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jerryway
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2775653 ft
United States

I have been looking for a 3rd party car charger for Mavic 3, because DJI's own charger has two drawbacks (besides the price):

1) DJI's charger is rated at 65W. However, Mavic 3 battery support PPS fast charging protocol up to 88W. Strangely, DJI did not give its own charger enough power to fast charge its own battery.

2) I need a car charger with three ports, to charge battery, remote controller, and mobile phone at the same time. DJI's charger has two ports only.

With a bit of researching and measurement, I think I found the best car charger (so far) for Mavic 3:

screenshot.jpg

This Wotobeus 120W Car charger has three advantages over DJI's charger:

1) fast charge Mavic 3 battery with PPS protocol, providing power close to 88W;
2) charge RC-N1 remote controller at the same time;
3) charge a mobile phone at the same time.

I measured the output power of the first USB-C port. When connecting to my Mavic 3 (with remote controller and mobile phone all being charged at the same time), it can output power close to 88W.

88W output

88W output

For less than half the price ($42.99), this little gem beats DJI's charger hands down.

2021-12-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there jerryway. Good day and thank you for posting these information. Just a friendly reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories like car chargers to charger the batteries of your DJI Mavic 3's intelligent flight batteries. These 3rd party chargers might affect the said intelligent flight batteries and the said DJI drone when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party chargers will be able work. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party chargers if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.
2021-12-1
Use props
jerryway
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-1 20:19
Hello there jerryway. Good day and thank you for posting these information. Just a friendly reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories like car chargers to charger the batteries of your DJI Mavic 3's intelligent flight batteries. These 3rd party chargers might affect the said intelligent flight batteries and the said DJI drone when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party chargers will be able work. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party chargers if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.

Looks like I am getting conflicting information regarding "3rd party" chargers/car chargers for Mavic 3, from different DJI tech support.

There have been multiple discussions in DJI's official user forum in China (bbs.dji.com), regarding the 3rd party charger support. At least one DJI product manager, and two forum moderators (both of them DJI employees), have confirmed that Mavic 3 battery support PPS charging protocol up to 88W. The standard charging time for Mavic 3 battery, with DJI's own 65W charger, is 96 minutes. If user finds a PPS-compatible charger which support 88+w charging, they can reduce the charging time to 78 minutes. None of them said 3rd party chargers are NOT recommended, or void warranty if doing so.

2021-12-1
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1122201 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't worry. The moderators here always give that standard reply about not using 3rd party products. You are probably right, although you may be the seller also ;-) And by the way most mobile phones works for days on a charge, not hours. No rush there.
2021-12-1
Use props
jerryway
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-1 21:58
Don't worry. The moderators here always give that standard reply about not using 3rd party products. You are probably right, although you may be the seller also ;-) And by the way most mobile phones works for days on a charge, not hours. No rush there.

I am certainly not a seller here. Just another user unhappy about the design of the factory charger & car charger for Mavic 3. It is quite weird that DJI designed the battery to support 88W PPS fast charging protocol, kept it as undocumented secret, and released a 65W USB-PD charger instead. Both USB PD & PPS are standard protocol, which means as long as you find a charger supporting these protocols, there should be no issues for charging whatsoever. The fear mongering of accusing third party charger here is completely baseless.

As for mobile phones, if you use them for GPS navigation, it would only last a few hours, not for days. Two years ago I was driving along the beautiful coast of the Black Sea in Northern Turkey, and I used the phone for navigation from dawn to dusk. I had to keep it charged in the car, otherwise the battery is long dead. So yes there is indeed a valid use case to keep the phone charged while driving.

By the way, there are so many scenics spots along the Turkish Black sea coast, one could easily spend hours and hours take aerial images along the coastline. It took me five days to drive the entire Turkish Black sea coast, and I ended up using 5-6 drone batteries each day for aerial shot. That trip made me realize the importance of a heavy duty car charger, to charge the drone battery, remote controller and mobile phone at the same time, with maximum power.

2021-12-1
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 3976234 ft
  • >>>

jerryway Posted at 12-1 22:26
I am certainly not a seller here. Just another user unhappy about the design of the factory charger & car charger for Mavic 3. It is quite weird that DJI designed the battery to support 88W PPS fast charging protocol, kept it as undocumented secret, and released a 65W USB-PD charger instead. Both USB PD & PPS are standard protocol, which means as long as you find a charger supporting these protocols, there should be no issues for charging whatsoever. The fear mongering of accusing third party charger here is completely baseless.

As for mobile phones, if you use them for GPS navigation, it would only last a few hours, not for days. Two years ago I was driving along the beautiful coast of the Black Sea in Northern Turkey, and I used the phone for navigation from dawn to dusk. I had to keep it charged in the car, otherwise the battery is long dead. So yes there is indeed a valid use case to keep the phone charged while driving.

While trawling through the various DJI documents, I did I see that they do mention that you can use any PD/PPS  compliment charger, despite digging through I can’t find it now. It’s out there somewhere!
2021-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2164990 ft
Netherlands

That looks interesting!
2021-12-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 5907336 ft
United Kingdom

Sadly doesn't appear to be available in the UK yet.   I will keep an eye out though as this looks cracking.
2021-12-2
Use props
Nicodema
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30062 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting product, with an impressive output.

On a practical note though, if you use that to charge multiple devices, it is likely to draw over 10A from the car. Now if the engine is running that's not a problem for draining the battery, but it does mean that the accessory circuit and fuse will run hot. These are usually fused at 15A, which means 10A will heat the fuse gently. Now that isn't usually a problem for short periods, like when it was used originally to light cigarettes, but a long charging session could start to soften and even melt the plastic of the fuse box.

I'm not saying that's definitely going to happen, but be careful and check the fuse temperature. These fuse boxes are not generally sited for great cooling, so check your risks.
2021-12-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
United States

Interesting find.    Best on the tech specs it should work great for the use you described.  
2021-12-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jerryway Posted at 12-1 22:26

As for mobile phones, if you use them for GPS navigation, it would only last a few hours, not for days. Two years ago I was driving along the beautiful coast of the Black Sea in Northern Turkey, and I used the phone for navigation from dawn to dusk. I had to keep it charged in the car, otherwise the battery is long dead. So yes there is indeed a valid use case to keep the phone charged while driving.

"As for mobile phones, if you use them for GPS navigation, it would only last a few hours, not for days. "

Well. you may want to check your phone battery then. I have my Samsung S9 on constant GPS reception in a background app that is logging location and it lasts a week if I do not use the actual phone functions, where it is transmitting.
2021-12-2
Use props
jerryway
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-2 11:37
"As for mobile phones, if you use them for GPS navigation, it would only last a few hours, not for days. "

Well. you may want to check your phone battery then. I have my Samsung S9 on constant GPS reception in a background app that is logging location and it lasts a week if I do not use the actual phone functions, where it is transmitting.

Running a GPS logging app in the background is a very different story, from running Google Maps in the foreground, for GPS navigation during driving.
2021-12-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Unless there has been a quantum change in battery thinking at DJI with the Mavic 3, it does not matter if you use a third party charger capable of delivering a faster charge, because DJI have always had the Battery Management System built into the actual batteries. The 'charger' is not in fact a charger at all, but simply a power supply. You can connect a power supply capable of greater than 88 Watt capacity but it will not make the battery charge any faster.
2021-12-2
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-1 20:19

DJI can’t guarantee it’s own products to work correctly given the number of M3 issues.
2021-12-2
Use props
jerryway
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-2 12:16
Unless there has been a quantum change in battery thinking at DJI with the Mavic 3, it does not matter if you use a third party charger capable of delivering a faster charge, because DJI have always had the Battery Management System built into the actual batteries. The 'charger' is not in fact a charger at all, but simply a power supply. You can connect a power supply capable of greater than 88 Watt capacity but it will not make the battery charge any faster.

Your statement shows a complete lack of understanding about PPS protocol, and it could't be any further away from the truth.

First of all, DJI designed the Mavic 3 battery to support PPS fast charging up to 88W. This is a fact not speculation. Their product manager has stated that with a PPS-compatible charger (88W+), the charging time for Mavic 3 battery can be reduced from 96 minutes to 78 minutes.

Now let's see how PPS works.

PPS is the most sophisticated charging protocol up to date. It is a two-way handshake protocol, both the charger and the device being charged need to have logic built-in to support PPS, otherwise they won't be able to talk to each other, and the fast charging would not work.

PPS enables the charger and the device being charged to communicate in real-time, so the charger can dynamically adjust the voltage and current, to maximize charging speed AND safety at the same time. The dynamic adjustment depends on a multitude of factors (e.g, remaining battery percentage, cable resistance, connect chip, environment temperature etc). For example, when your battery's charging status is less than 10%, it has more tendency to accept current, so the charger outputs higher current to fast charge the battery. As the battery gets full or hot, the current goes down to focus more on the safety. It all happens dynamically in the background.

2021-12-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jerryway Posted at 12-2 11:58
Running a GPS logging app in the background is a very different story, from running Google Maps in the foreground, for GPS navigation during driving.

Not really. I have no such issues. Maybe you were using analog roaming or something in that area. I use Maps all the time and never have to charge the phone more than twice a week. I haven't use the car charger in years.
2021-12-2
Use props
jerryway
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-2 13:35
Not really. I have no such issues. Maybe you were using analog roaming or something in that area. I use Maps all the time and never have to charge the phone more than twice a week. I haven't use the car charger in years.

Have you tried some long distance driving trip, running Google Maps for GPS navigation from dawn to dusk? And combine that with some photo taking, video recording, drone flight along the way?

I uses a Samsung S21 Ultra phone, with 6.8 inch, 120HZ 1440P screen. It has a big battery (5,000 mAh). Still, the battery percentage drops fast, the moment I start taking photos, recording 4K videos, using Google Maps for GPS navigation. Taking photos intensively could drain its battery from 100% to ~20% in about 4 hours. So I know for a fact it would not last a day, under the heavy usage scenarios.
2021-12-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jerryway Posted at 12-2 13:54
Have you tried some long distance driving trip, running Google Maps for GPS navigation from dawn to dusk? And combine that with some photo taking, video recording, drone flight along the way?

I uses a Samsung S21 Ultra phone, with 6.8 inch, 120HZ 1440P screen. It has a big battery (5,000 mAh). Still, the battery percentage drops fast, the moment I start taking photos, recording 4K videos, using Google Maps for GPS navigation. Taking photos intensively could drain its battery from 100% to ~20% in about 4 hours. So I know for a fact it would not last a day, under the heavy usage scenarios.

LOL. OK....so now you have added the taking of photos and hi res videos with the phone all day long? How is that related to flying this drone? 20 minutes typical flight.
Next you will say you are playing online games at the same time.
End of conversation.
2021-12-2
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 13129777 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting, but not for me.  I would personally install a converter and charge my drone from there.
2021-12-2
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16098002 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of this banter to possibly save 18 minutes per battery? Interesting... Personally, I use Jackery power stations when I'm not going to be near an outlet for hours/days (w/solar panels). Now flying the M3C, voiding this birds warranty would be a very expensive proposition to save a few minutes.

P.S. Definitely keep an eye on your cars' fuse box as mentioned above. Luckily most decent SUV's here in the USA have incorporated AC plugs for this very reason.
2021-12-2
Use props
Drone Cuiabá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10786070 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

This is also a good charger: Baseus 100w
2021-12-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jerryway Posted at 12-2 13:29
Your statement shows a complete lack of understanding about PPS protocol, and it could't be any further away from the truth.

First of all, DJI designed the Mavic 3 battery to support PPS fast charging up to 88W. This is a fact not speculation. Their product manager has stated that with a PPS-compatible charger (88W+), the charging time for Mavic 3 battery can be reduced from 96 minutes to 78 minutes.

As I said in my opening statement, DJI may have made a change to the battery management in the Mavic, but as I don't have one, I cannot say. There is no need to be rude in your reply.

What I said remains true about all other DJI batteries, with the possible exception of those in the Mavic 3.
2021-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules