how to storage charge drone battery for the winter
4142 16 2021-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andre Laf
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

would anyone have a real answer on the process to storage charge the betteries for the winter . which is about 5 months sadly. thanks
2021-12-2
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

I could be wrong but the batteries do self discharge and put themselves into a storage charge. But somebody else should be able to say for sure whether that's good for 5 months.
2021-12-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Andre Laf. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The DJI FPV has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 97% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference, I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. In addition it would be best for you to store your DJI FPV Intelligent Flight Batteries on a DJI Battery Safe Bag. The DJI Battery Safe Bag offers reliable storage, and transportation for batteries. It can effectively mitigate damage from combustion, reducing the possibility of igniting surrounding objects. For reference I will post a link where in you can check the DJI FPV Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ty_Guidelines_9.pdf

2021-12-2
Use props
Andre Laf
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

what happens after 5 days .
2021-12-3
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Andre Laf Posted at 12-3 23:33
what happens after 5 days .

nothing. They set a that charge till they slowly go dead
2021-12-4
Use props
fliegerben
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1918087 ft
Germany

Good question, Andre Laf.

What is recommended to increase the battery life span if the battery is not used for a longer time period?

Charge it to 100% and put it away?
Have it charged to mid level, e.g. 50% or 2 LEDs?
Leave it as it is after the last flight (usually around 20% to 30%)?
Discharge it to the lowest level possible…?

@DJI, any advice? Anyone else have an idea (for the Intelligent Flight Batteries)?

Thanks for your help.
2021-12-4
Use props
Joecos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3294770 ft
United States

fliegerben Posted at 12-4 11:23

What is recommended to increase the battery life span if the battery is not used for a longer time period?

Best storage Practice for battery longevity is to store batteries at 40% to 50%.

Never store batteries at 100% - not good!
2021-12-4
Use props
maihem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 251211 ft
United States

fliegerben Posted at 12-4 11:23

DJI smart batteries put themselves into storage.  I have never had a single one have an issue unless it was flown, then not charged, and put away for a long time.  Now with regular lipo batteries for RC, those need to be put into storage mode to keep them from puffing up and being wasted.
2021-12-7
Use props
Andre Laf
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

I have done that in past but have lost 5 inspire batteries and 3 phantom 4  batteries by letting the smart board look after them for the winter. And when the spring rolled around the would not charge ,most of them only had 20 or less cycles on them . We all know how little dji batteries cost.
2021-12-7
Use props
maihem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 251211 ft
United States

Andre Laf Posted at 12-7 17:48
I have done that in past but have lost 5 inspire batteries and 3 phantom 4  batteries by letting the smart board look after them for the winter. And when the spring rolled around the would not charge ,most of them only had 20 or less cycles on them . We all know how little dji batteries cost.

Oh wow, that would irritate me to have lost that many batteries...even though they are so reasonably priced, .  I guess I have been fortunate to have only lost one Phantom 2V+ battery ever out of seven DJI drones totaling 24 DJI batteries.
Now, don't ask me about regular lipo RC batteries because I have lost plenty of those through the years as I am sometimes irresponsible with storage levels even though I know they should be done.
2021-12-8
Use props
Ranger7777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152782 ft
United States

Just a thought, perhaps every couple weeks or so, maybe once a month, fully charge your batteries and just hover indoors to perhaps 20% of charge to avoid a RTH situation, then fully charge till the next time.  I guess I am lucky,living in central Texas can fly most anytime.  Any further thoughts on this possible solution?
2021-12-8
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Ranger7777 Posted at 12-8 07:34
Just a thought, perhaps every couple weeks or so, maybe once a month, fully charge your batteries and just hover indoors to perhaps 20% of charge to avoid a RTH situation, then fully charge till the next time.  I guess I am lucky,living in central Texas can fly most anytime.  Any further thoughts on this possible solution?

Hey! I live in El Paso. So like you I get to fly almost all year long too.

Out of the 2 DJI products that I own I've only ever lost 2 and they lasted better than 2 years before they went
2021-12-8
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Andre Laf Posted at 12-7 17:48

You are 100% correct. DJI Batteries can not be left longer the 3 months without recharging. Its actually a recommendation that they make for one of their Drones. Cant remember which one.

I have lost several Phantom 2, Phantom 4, and mavic batteries that were left for longer than 3 months.

I have a regular reminder in my calendar now to remind me to recharge all my DJI batteries. And I have a lot.

DJI should do a definite care and feeding for all their batteries rather than the haphazard ones they do for particular models.

2021-12-8
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

bjr981s Posted at 12-8 21:19
You are 100% correct. DJI Batteries can not be left longer the 3 months without recharging. Its actually a recommendation that they make for one of their Drones. Cant remember which one.

I have lost several Phantom 2, Phantom 4, and mavic batteries that were left for longer than 3 months.

I wouldn't say you can't leave them for 3. I've done it.

It may not be best. But I haven't had a problem.  Right now my Mavic's batteries have been sitting in my living room since they where used to film an event on September 26.

It's not the first time nor the longest. I'd be willing to bet they're fine. (Not the first or longest)

It may not be recommended. But it can be done. So I wouldn't say can't

2021-12-9
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SgtRay Posted at 12-9 00:10
I wouldn't say you can't leave them for 3. I've done it.

It may not be best. But I haven't had a problem.  Right now my Mavic's batteries have been sitting in my living room since they where used to film an event on September 26.

You miss read my response. Its says longer than 3 months.

It also says that DJI recommends a cycle of 3 months.

Arbitrary boundaries do need to be set. You will always get the what if 3 Months plus 1 day brigade.

This is a safe limit not a hard limit. i can assure you that 6 months spells damage to a DJI Smart Battery.
2021-12-9
Use props
Andre Laf
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Ya that is not much help on how to store them for long term but thanks for the mild info .
2021-12-16
Use props
Antto
New

Finland

Andre Laf Posted at 2021-12-16 22:42
Ya that is not much help on how to store them for long term but thanks for the mild info .

As mentioned above, the batteries discharge themselves to storage charge. Every 3 months recharge the batteries and let them put themselves back to storage charge.
2023-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules