Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic 3 v.s. Samsung S21 Ultra - tele camera image quality co...
953 6 2021-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jerryway
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3935541 ft
United States

DJI Mavic 3 has a 7X tele camera, with 162mm lens, f/4.4 aperture, and 12MP, 1/2" sensor.

Samsung S21 Ultra has a 10X tele camera, with 240mm lens, f/4.9 aperture, and 10MP, 1/3.24" sensor. This is one of the best tele cameras to date on a mobile phone.

Samsung just released an Expert Raw tool, allowing user to capture tele camera images as RAW files. Interestingly, the RAW files have the same resolution as Mavic 3's 7x tele camera (4000x3000, 12MP).

Sadly, Mavic 3's tele camera can only produce JPG files, not RAW.

DJI's tele camera has a shorter focal length (162mm v.s. 240mm), but 62% bigger sensor (1/2" v.s. 1/3.24"). Both cameras have a stabilization system. The rest of the specs are very similar, if not the same.

Out of the curiosity, I tried shooting the same scene with both cameras, to see what are the differences between the two.  
To make comparison easier to the eyes, I did some post-processing to Samsung's RAW file, to match the look and feel of DJI's JPG file.

Some key takeaway:

1) Although not a huge difference, DJI's tele camera produces a sharper, more detailed image. This is probably the biggest surprise of all.
2) DJI's tele camera image has a more neutral color presentation.
3) DJI's gimbal stabilization system did an amazing job, enable the tele camera to shoot sharp images at 162mm focal length with 1/15 sec exposure, in windy condition.

It is a real shame that DJI disabled the RAW image option for the tele camera, which could have so much more potential.

Full image:

full image

full image

100% zoom-in:

100% zoom-in

100% zoom-in

2021-12-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2399075 ft
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing!
2021-12-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting test and results.  Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully, in a future update DJI will enable RAW image capability.
2021-12-4
Use props
rajajana
lvl.1

Samsung just released the new Expert RAW app with new features Linear DNG 16bit raw, Lossless JPEG, HDR, Professional mode functions such as ISO, Shutter-Speed, EV, Manual Focus, White Balance, Histogram,   Samsung-Expert-RAW-App.jpg
you can download the latest version from here Expert RAW App v1.0.00.16 you can also improve s21 ultra photo quality using a lightroom PC profile
https://www.gizdev.com/download-new-samsung-camera-expert-raw-app/
2021-12-15
Use props
CloudVisual
First Officer
Flight distance : 25957795 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good comparison

However, the tele camera in its current setup is a total joke. No RAW and auto settings only. I can't for the life of me see why it is impossible for DJI to allow manual controls on the tele lens. If it's got auto, it's got manual settings. Oh and 30fps only?!

I would have overlooked the ridiculous nature of the 165mm tele lens (who asked for this?!) if it was actually useful in the cinematography/pro-photography world. If they turn on the ability to shoot RAW and manual controls then we have something worthy to use as a camera in a professional setting.
2021-12-15
Use props
Tornado12
Second Officer
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

I've always felt the 162MM camera looked fine if you just stop at 7x and don't go into digital zoom. I am someone who was actually intrigued by the additional camera. I like the ability to zoom in and check out distant objects, purely for the scouting capability of it. I live out in the country, and the other day saw a lot of smoke billowing off in the distnace over the trees. I threw the drone up and was able to zoom right in and see what was going on. It was just a local farmer burning off his pasture for the winter. I was able to see that by just flying straight up above my house and using the zoom. Little things like this are just neat to me. I wasnt trying to shoot any video or photo here, I just wanted to scout out what was going on. At 1x I was not able to see what was actually burring, only at 14 and 28x was I able to then see it. At 7x, the camera is actually not that bad. You could easily get very usable footage out of it. I saw a youtube video the other day where a guy shot a lot of footage just with the 7x camera and made a video with it. It looked very professional and the footage was of a high quality.

I fully expect RAW to come to this camera. I think they will expand its capability as much as possible. If they manage to get RAW, Dlog, and certainly 60fps capability on this camera, it will be pretty nice actually.
EDIT: Here is that youtube video I was talking about where it was shot exclusively with the 162mm lens.

2021-12-15
Use props
jerryway
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3935541 ft
United States

FYI - DJI has been collecting user feedback for both Mavic 3 and DJI Fly app in their China user forum for a while. Full manual control and RAW support for telephone lens, fast switch between 1x/7x zoom are some of the most frequently asked user requests. Personally I think there is a very high likelihood all these features are enabled between January 2022 and Q1 2022 timeframe. Also expect some massive update to DJI Fly app in the same time frame.

For more information, check out this thread (Chinese language only - use Google translate to read in it English):

https://bbs.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=290312
2021-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules