1084 51 2021-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm happy to report that my 2d copy of Mavic 3 Cine (replacement) is working now. No errors during activation, no lost connection.

Took a very short flight above the house just to get things going, but mostly to check if it can do it.
There was no light to speak of (two hours past sunset), and our community at night is not as interesting as those spectacular cityscapes many of you have posted.
All I got is a lame long exposure shot, only to see if the manual controls work (they do).

All in all, I feel that I finally got a decent unit that I can use. Stay tuned for more!

DNG processed in ACR

2021-12-3
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Took another flight. Kinda same.
Couple of strange things:
1) The map square is empty. As in nothing in it. At all. That's how it has been with the previous unit, except a couple of occasions.  When it actually showed something. it's possible I'm missing something in the settings, but I'm not sure what. I would expect google-map-alike by default, but it's not it.
It also mentioned something like GPS signal weak when it startsed. It was never weak for my Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 Pro. But maybe it's related?
Any idea how to make it show the actual map?

2) Videos options did not now MOV or D-Log or ProRes, only MP4 and Normal. I had to hit reset camera settings, at which point it started to show those other options.

To be continued...
2021-12-3
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 12-3 20:07
Took another flight. Kinda same.
Couple of strange things:
1) The map square is empty. As in nothing in it. At all. That's how it has been with the previous unit, except a couple of occasions.  When it actually showed something. it's possible I'm missing something in the settings, but I'm not sure what. I would expect google-map-alike by default, but it's not it.

Well, I spoke too soon. One of the props arrived cracked
I have notified DJI support, hopefully they can send a replacement soon.
C6272503-9EEE-4DB8-8C26-F78FBE5681CF.jpeg
2021-12-3
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here are the screenshots for the empty maps

Anyone encountered this? What's the cure?
2021-12-3
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

That empty map really bothers me. Any ideas what am I doing wrong?

2021-12-3
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Another long exposure, now 8 sec. This thing is a tank, so solid!

2021-12-3
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-3 20:57
That empty map really bothers me. Any ideas what am I doing wrong?

Double check that the controller isn’t in ‘aircraft mode’ and that it has a good wi-if signal, the map is cached so it will need a good wi-if signal initially while it downloads map data for your location.

I can’t say I have seen it do that, but I have had it display a ‘world view’ when it doesn’t had a good GPS lock.

When you originally started the controller did you pick the correct ‘region’ I think the default is China.
2021-12-3
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 12-3 21:36
Double check that the controller isn’t in ‘aircraft mode’ and that it has a good wi-if signal, the map is cached so it will need a good wi-if signal initially while it downloads map data for your location.

I can’t say I have seen it do that, but I have had it display a ‘world view’ when it doesn’t had a good GPS lock.

How can I check if controller is or is not in that mode? Do I have to leave it on for a while in idle, disconnected from the craft? With DJI GO 4 the map was always there, no ifs, not buts.
2021-12-3
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Well, I guess I didn't use the location pin at first. I browsed some vicinity maps now, are they cached? And if I'm in the field with no WiFi, how do I make it work?
With the phone on Mavic 2 Pro this want not an issue. I guess RC Pro is all sorts of different...
2021-12-3
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-3 22:35
Well, I guess I didn't use the location pin at first. I browsed some vicinity maps now, are they cached? And if I'm in the field with no WiFi, how do I make it work?
With the phone on Mavic 2 Pro this want not an issue. I guess RC Pro is all sorts of different...

As far as I know its automatic and based on the GPS fix the controller achieves. You don't need Wi-Fi once its got the maps into the cache but it will need two things initially, an internet connection and a good GPS fix.

GPS/GNSS etc is a very weak signal and will need a good view of the sky, depending on the sensitivity of the GPS receiver in the controller will dictate how long it takes to get a good lock, Even thick clouds can degrade the GPS signal significantly so if you're in a basement you won't get a GPS lock.

GPS is designed to work outdoors so the controller should get a lock after a few mins with a clear view of the screen. In the Fly App top left, if you see 'Locating...' then its trying to get a good fix.

Swipe down on the screen to see the quick settings, the circles are dark when they are not active and lit when they are.

2021-12-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice shot.   Have you checked for any Magenta cast on the video?
2021-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The images look nice!
2021-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DarthSLR Posted at 12-3 20:52
Here are the screenshots for the empty maps

[view_image]

Can it be related to the red icon in the top right corner?
2021-12-4
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 04:11

That’s obstacle avoidance disabled.
2021-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Buzzyone Posted at 12-4 04:13
That’s obstacle avoidance disabled.

Ah ok. I don't have that on the mini 2 .
However, I do notice very sometimes the map is missing.
Not sure what causes it.
2021-12-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 12-3 20:59

[view_image]

Great long exposure shots.  

Glad your replacement M3C is working much better than 1st one.  Not sure how factory QA missed that cracked prop but hopefully DJI will send you a replacement soon.  

2021-12-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-3 20:37
Well, I spoke too soon. One of the props arrived cracked
I have notified DJI support, hopefully they can send a replacement soon.

That's disappointing
2021-12-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-3 20:59

[view_image]

Looking good.
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 12-4 01:06
As far as I know its automatic and based on the GPS fix the controller achieves. You don't need Wi-Fi once its got the maps into the cache but it will need two things initially, an internet connection and a good GPS fix.

GPS/GNSS etc is a very weak signal and will need a good view of the sky, depending on the sensitivity of the GPS receiver in the controller will dictate how long it takes to get a good lock, Even thick clouds can degrade the GPS signal significantly so if you're in a basement you won't get a GPS lock.

Thank you!
With Mavic 3 Pro it's my first time to use a smart controller, so I'm still getting used to the differences compared to phone-based ones.
To be honest, I find it a bit counterintuitive.
If I'm going to fly in the wilderness, there will be no WiFi signal, right?
Heck, there maybe not even cellular service there, so hotspot trick would not work either.  
So how I'm supposed to get the maps there?
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-4 01:18
Nice shot.   Have you checked for any Magenta cast on the video?

Thank you!  
Didn't do any video last night. Was a long week, was tired. Hopefully will have a chance over the weekend.
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 04:10
The images look nice!

Thank you! I do appreciate having flying camera with full manual controls!
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-4 06:16
Great long exposure shots.  

Glad your replacement M3C is working much better than 1st one.  Not sure how factory QA missed that cracked prop but hopefully DJI will send you a replacement soon.

Thank you!
Yeah, I was a bit surprised myself, but comparing to what I got before it was a super minor issue, I just opened one of the replacement props pouches and switched it as soon as I have noticed the crack.
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 12-4 07:20
That's disappointing

Luckily not on a gimbal or lens
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you! Now I know I can do decent shots of the fireworks and such!
2021-12-4
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great photography! hopefully you get everything figured out.
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 04:11

FWIW I didn't disable OA on purpose, it is set to bypass, but I guess it turned off itself due to the low light. Which is a bummer, you'd think it's possible to use non-visible spectrum for obstacle avoidance pipeline, like sonar, lidar, or whatever.
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 12-4 09:45
Great photography! hopefully you get everything figured out.

Thank you!
I'm sure I will, this forum has always been very helpful in that respect!
2021-12-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Use your phone as a mobile hot spot. And - how far are you zoomed in on the map? Give zooming out a try. Just a thought.
2021-12-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-4 09:41
Luckily not on a gimbal or lens

For sure. At least a prop is an easy replacement.
2021-12-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-4 09:43
Thank you! Now I know I can do decent shots of the fireworks and such!

One for the "Festival" section soon, then?
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-4 10:27
Use your phone as a mobile hot spot. And - how far are you zoomed in on the map? Give zooming out a try. Just a thought.

Yeah, that I can do. However, two problems:
1) it eats into battery time if I always have to do it on location before the flight. Granted Mavic 3 has a much better battery than previous Mavics, but still, this is one of the most valuable resources, and I want want to waste it on something that should be there already.
2) sometimes I'm in the total wilderness, no cell towers for miles. How do I get the maps to RC Pro there?
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 12-4 10:32
One for the "Festival" section soon, then?

Not that soon, but eventually sure
2021-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DarthSLR Posted at 12-4 10:07
FWIW I didn't disable OA on purpose, it is set to bypass, but I guess it turned off itself due to the low light. Which is a bummer, you'd think it's possible to use non-visible spectrum for obstacle avoidance pipeline, like sonar, lidar, or whatever.

I think it uses 'regular' camera's. So they will be having a hard time in low light.
And the problem with those is that you don't want false detection, since that will lead to unwanted behavior.
2021-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DarthSLR Posted at 12-4 09:37
Thank you! I do appreciate having flying camera with full manual controls!

I totally get your point.
I do miss my DSLR when I'm flying my M2.
But then again, flying with my DSLR will get expensive quite quickly.
2021-12-4
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-4 10:07
FWIW I didn't disable OA on purpose, it is set to bypass, but I guess it turned off itself due to the low light. Which is a bummer, you'd think it's possible to use non-visible spectrum for obstacle avoidance pipeline, like sonar, lidar, or whatever.

The OA will be off whenever the light levels are too low or its on the ground, they turn off during landing, same as the Inspire 2 & other DJI aircraft.
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 12-4 12:05
The OA will be off whenever the light levels are too low or its on the ground, they turn off during landing, same as the Inspire 2 & other DJI aircraft.

Good to know, thank you for the clarification!
2021-12-4
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-4 10:33
Yeah, that I can do. However, two problems:
1) it eats into battery time if I always have to do it on location before the flight. Granted Mavic 3 has a much better battery than previous Mavics, but still, this is one of the most valuable resources, and I want want to waste it on something that should be there already.
2) sometimes I'm in the total wilderness, no cell towers for miles. How do I get the maps to RC Pro there?

I guess it depends on how much of the Map it downloads when it has got WiFi or Hotspot. I never really bother with the maps TBH, I use line of sight and the track line that draws as you fly.

The thin red line is the 'string' that has the Home Point as recorded at takeoff or the updated home point if you move it & the drone, so if you get disorientated just put the pointy end of the arrow onto the red line and its pointing at you, push forward ad its heading your way. You can confirm that by seeing the D value reducing as it gets closer.
2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 11:53
I totally get your point.
I do miss my DSLR when I'm flying my M2.
But then again, flying with my DSLR will get expensive quite quickly.

LOL you don't say. I can imagine a drone capable of handling my 5D4 + 200-400/f.4 Should be the size of a Predator no less. I can't even shoot it handheld, always have to use a big tripod and Wimberly gimbal head.
2021-12-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-4 10:34
Not that soon, but eventually sure

2021-12-4
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 12-4 12:10
I guess it depends on how much of the Map it downloads when it has got WiFi or Hotspot. I never really bother with the maps TBH, I use line of sight and the track line that draws as you fly.

The thin red line is the 'string' that has the Home Point as recorded at takeoff or the updated home point if you move it & the drone, so if you get disorientated just put the pointy end of the arrow onto the red line and its pointing at you, push forward ad its heading your way. You can confirm that by seeing the D value reducing as it gets closer.

So, what would be a proper procedure to preload the maps onto the RC Pro while I'm at home and it's sitting on my desk a couple of feet away from the WiFi router?  Do I just turn it on and go on location and choose the area I intend to fly around?
Sorry for asking so many questions, but again, a non-phone controller is a brand new thing to me...
2021-12-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules