You DON'T need a big drone to win big awards
491 18 2021-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I've been honored to win 17 international drone film awards in 2020/21. That includes a recent US$5000 win in the landscape category at the world's premiere
drone film event,  Jeju International Drone Film Festival in South Korea. My first winning short film "Unseen Australia" featured shots from an M2P but also from the original Mavic!

My second film  "Outback" (the South Korea winner) was ALL shot on the M2P. The fact is YOU can win too, so be "Inspired" you have the tools already, go to it!

(You can also get to make lame speeches)

2021-12-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good on you mate!!! You are the man who can win a $5000 award with a $50 drone from Dick Smith's...
2021-12-6
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Monkey007 Posted at 12-6 10:21
Good on you mate!!! You are the man who can win a $5000 award with a $50 drone from Dick Smith's...

Ha! let me know when Dick sells 'em that cheap!
2021-12-6
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Those videos are magnificent just like all the ones you've posted here. Really inspirational for drone flyers.

I'd be lucky to win $50 with a $5,000 drone, so well done.
2021-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there christangey. Good day and thank you for sharing these awesome information and these epic videos you have filmed. Congratulations and two thumbs up. .
2021-12-6
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-6 19:18
Hello there christangey. Good day and thank you for sharing these awesome information and these epic videos you have filmed. Congratulations and two thumbs up.  .

Thank you DJI Stephen and nice to hear from you again!
2021-12-6
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

how long it take you to get all the footage for 1 film and how long does it take you on average to get 1 clip in each film?
2021-12-6
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-6 21:29
how long it take you to get all the footage for 1 film and how long does it take you on average to get 1 clip in each film?

Impossible question to answer Ant, no one-size-fits-all situation. Certainly many times I go out with the intention of getting just one usable shot. Actually I did that last night chasing lightning. I went to a spot I know has a large sheet of water and positioned myself opposite where the storm was coming from, and at the correct height, so if there was lightning I would also get the reflections in the water. For that to really work you also need to not have the rain come ahead of the storm (or bye-bye drone) and for the storm to come in when it is nearly dark to make the reflections highly visible. On top of that once I see lightning I then work out a nice frame and just slowly move left to right and right to left, over and over again, sometimes for up to 45 minutes with a battery change (it's only a card you can use repeatedly after all!) I think I did ok last night but haven't had a chance to go through it yet. Attached is a shot from the same area on a previous night. Hopefully that gives you some idea of the intent and focus I give to each shot. Because I often also gather my footage at random on my location scouting jobs and also for my 4K stock footage collection I'm not consciously gathering it for any particular film though, it just kind of happens in the edit suite every now and then!  
2021-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

M2P is a big drone
2021-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BTW, congrats man.
You seriously nailed this one!
2021-12-7
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Prairie Chicken Posted at 12-6 17:37
Those videos are magnificent just like all the ones you've posted here. Really inspirational for drone flyers.

I'd be lucky to win $50 with a $5,000 drone, so well done.

Thank you Captain chicken, I'm sure you're better than you think!
2021-12-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well done Chris.   
2021-12-7
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

christangey Posted at 12-6 22:18
Impossible question to answer Ant, no one-size-fits-all situation. Certainly many times I go out with the intention of getting just one usable shot. Actually I did that last night chasing lightning. I went to a spot I know has a large sheet of water and positioned myself opposite where the storm was coming from, and at the correct height, so if there was lightning I would also get the reflections in the water. For that to really work you also need to not have the rain come ahead of the storm (or bye-bye drone) and for the storm to come in when it is nearly dark to make the reflections highly visible. On top of that once I see lightning I then work out a nice frame and just slowly move left to right and right to left, over and over again, sometimes for up to 45 minutes with a battery change (it's only a card you can use repeatedly after all!) I think I did ok last night but haven't had a chance to go through it yet. Attached is a shot from the same area on a previous night. Hopefully that gives you some idea of the intent and focus I give to each shot. Because I often also gather my footage at random on my location scouting jobs and also for my 4K stock footage collection I'm not consciously gathering it for any particular film though, it just kind of happens in the edit suite every now and then!  [view_image]

I should be doing it like that.  When I fly I just go through the batteries and leave not really trying to catch anything nice.  I should dedicated days trying to get some good shots rather than trying to get 1 video from 1 battery or over all the batteries I have with that drone.  I hardly care about filming anything anymore but perhaps I can do a time lapse of the boardwalk over 3 batteries w/ the new Air 2S.
2021-12-7
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Maybe imagine the shot first Ant, only you know what makes that boardwalk look best and from what direction, then wait for the right conditions and shoot and shoot until you "get the shot"
2021-12-7
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thank you Captain!
2021-12-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome,  great achievement.
2021-12-8
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 12-7 00:32
BTW, congrats man.
You seriously nailed this one!

thanks Montfrooij!
2021-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

christangey Posted at 12-6 20:54
Thank you DJI Stephen and nice to hear from you again!

Hi there christangey. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-12-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2021-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now