Regular maintenance on Mini 2
7157 29 2021-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hawkeye Photography
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1444895 ft
United States

Today marks the 100th mile I've flown on my Mini 2, I was curious, is there a regular maintenance schedule that's supposed to be done on it? I change the props about every 10 hours of flight time just to be safe, the drone has never been crashed and has stayed relatively clean.

Am I missing something?
2021-12-8
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Yes, you are missing something:
Why do you change the perfectly working props after just 10 hours?
2021-12-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no regular maintenance schedule.
Your drone is relatively maintenance free, just keep it clean.
10 hours and 100 miles are nothing.
All your 10 hour old props are good for using a lot longer.
2021-12-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The one thing I would suggest is check the props screws are nipped up. Bearing in mind the screw-thread's size, do not go over board tightening them
2021-12-8
Use props
red_canyon16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

As the others have said, there is no need to change the props out very often. I've even read that you only need to change them if they are broken or have nicks in them.

That being said, here is the maintenance schedule suggested by Airdata:

Basic - Every 20 flights or 200 minutes

1.   Look for cracks in the outer shell, specifically around the motors which are more prone to cracks

2.   Check visually that all screws are in place and are tight

3.   Inspect the propellers and look for broken pieces, bent blades or other damage

Extended - Every 100 flights or 1000 minutes

1.   Perform IMU calibration. IMU calibration works best on a completely flat surface. After you’ve connected the remote controller with the mobile device, go to Settings – Sensors – Check IMU – IMU Calibration.

Tip: Perform this calibration when the aircraft has cooled down to room temperature. This will assist later with the startup time of the aircraft.

2.   Perform Compass calibration

3.   Perform Gimbal calibration

It is strongly recommended to also perform the Basic drone service as part of this service.

Full - Every 200 flights or 2000 minutes

Carefully inspect all systems of the aircraft:
Exterior Shell:

1.   Check that all screws are in place and make sure there are no loose screws. Use a flashlight and a small screwdriver to help with this.

2.   Inspect all the stickers on the aircraft and make sure there are no loose stickers. Loose stickers may fall midflight and obstruct the motors.

3.   If your country regulations require, verify that the aircraft registration label shows up properly on the aircraft

4.   With propellers on, rotate each propeller with your finger and make sure all move freely

5.   Remove propellers, turn on aircraft and start the motors. Check if motors are rotating without unusual vibration and that the motor shafts rotate straight without any wobble.

Sensors and Vents:

1.   Verify all vents are clean and open

2.   Verify that the Sonar sensors and Proximity sensors (if equipped) are clean

Gimbal:

1.   Check gimbal vibration absorbers - make sure they are not cracked or stiff and that they are inside their housing

2.   Check the gimbal pins that are securing the vibration absorbers - make sure at least 2 are installed

3.   Inspect gimbal lens for damage

4.   Inspect gimbal arm and wires for damage

Battery Contacts:

1.   Remove the battery from the aircraft

2.   Check all gold battery plates inside the aircraft. If there are any stains on the surface, you can use a Q-tip dipped in pure (anhydrous) isopropyl alcohol (alcohol containing no more than 1% water) or electrical contact cleaner (typically comes in a spray can) to clean them to ensure good contact.

3.   Check to see if the metal contacts of the battery power and data sockets are damaged. If the surface severely burnt, use a piece of a fine sandpaper (Grit 150 or higher) to carefully clean the surface.

It is strongly recommended to also perform the Basic and Extended drone services as part of this service.

2021-12-8
Use props
Hawkeye Photography
lvl.3
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 12-8 06:44
Yes, you are missing something:
Why do you change the perfectly working props after just 10 hours?

I have severe OCD (Actually diagnosed, not the clean-freak kind lol) and something in my mind tells me that if I don't change them often that the props will break mid flight and I'll crash.
2021-12-8
Use props
Hawkeye Photography
lvl.3
United States

red_canyon16 Posted at 12-8 07:06
As the others have said, there is no need to change the props out very often. I've even read that you only need to change them if they are broken or have nicks in them.

This really helped, thanks a lot!

I'll try to not change them (as often)
2021-12-8
Use props
red_canyon16
Second Officer
United States

Hawkeye Photography Posted at 12-8 07:18
This really helped, thanks a lot!

I'll try to not change them (as often)

Here is a PDF that is better formatted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 3R/view?usp=sharing
2021-12-8
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Hawkeye Photography, I do not change the props very often, but must echo someone else concern - to NOT tighten the prop screws too tight.  You stand the chance of
striping the one screw driver that fits them well, and also the screws.  Well and snug . . .make sure that the props move freely after you have put the new ones on.
Also, it IS YOUR drone, if your gut says to change them - then change them if it makes you feel good about it.
2021-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Hawkeye Photography. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I will post a DJI link where in you can check some tips on how to maintain your DJI Drone. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://store.dji.com/guides/properly-maintain-drone/
2021-12-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As the others have said, there is no need to change the props out very often. I've even read that you only need to change them if they are broken or have nicks in them.

RE compass calibration, there is no logical reason to do this, at all...

I am fairly certain that this schedule isn't primarily for the Mini 2, i think it dates back to the older Phantoms, at the very least, i remember it from my P4P days on Airdata, i don't use Airdata so much now that i don't see the wind data.

My maintenance consists of wet cloth wiping it down, checking screws (once a year'ish), RE prop screws, if they dont turn finger tight, then they ain't loose, dont force the issue. I do check the batteries after every charge before they go in the bag and every time i change them out, look down them, so you can see if there's any bulging starting, make sure they slide in and out the same (easily). The props are checked before the 1st flight. Thats pretty much me lol
2021-12-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I won't change anything until I notice something is wrong.
2021-12-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-9 06:47
I won't change anything until I notice something is wrong.

Dont you find that the MIni 2 gets dirty quickly, captures all the dust in its rough shell
2021-12-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-9 07:53
Dont you find that the MIni 2 gets dirty quickly, captures all the dust in its rough shell

I never noticed it does.
But then again, I also have not looked
2021-12-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Red-canyon16, that's drawn up for the Phantom series and possibly the Phantom 3. (gimbal pins and cracking motor mounts.)
Some of it is probably detrimental to the Mini i.e. removing the props unnecessarily, the screws have loctite on them and this may be lost.
2021-12-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Airdata's suggestions contain a few that are not necessary.

There is no need to recalibrate the compass or IMU (and probably the gimbal too).
They don't lose their calibration , but if they did, you'd know things aren't right.
Unnecessarily recalibrating won't do a thing to make the drone fly better or safer.
2021-12-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-9 09:02
I never noticed it does.
But then again, I also have not looked

Prob me just flying in dusty conditions etc.... my mates is the same but then he only flies with my 99% of the time
2021-12-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-10 04:35
Prob me just flying in dusty conditions etc.... my mates is the same but then he only flies with my 99% of the time

Could be indeed.
2021-12-10
Use props
Reguzz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60375420 ft
Indonesia

After 4000+ flights with my original mini, I just did the basic maintenance. For calibration, I only calibrate when the app tells me to calibrate.
2021-12-10
Use props
red_canyon16
Second Officer
United States

Look Guys, I didn't say that he had to follow that maintenance plan. He asked what others did and that is the only published maintenance plan that I knew of.
2021-12-10
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Hawkeye Photography Posted at 12-8 07:17
I have severe OCD (Actually diagnosed, not the clean-freak kind lol) and something in my mind tells me that if I don't change them often that the props will break mid flight and I'll crash.

Change the props after every flight! The air that passes by them are wearing them out! 2 minutes flight time max.
2021-12-11
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

That did evoke a chuckle from me, Jonny J!
2021-12-11
Use props
djiuser_3dKKH5LoOASp
New
Flight distance : 38891 ft
Australia

Sorry don't know where to post this as I cant start a new topic yet.I have a DJI mini 2 and a vivo y52 .From doing some research it looks like my phone should be compatible with it but the RC never connects to it.Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it purely just not compatible?
2021-12-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_3dKKH5LoOASp Posted at 12-11 18:49
Sorry don't know where to post this as I cant start a new topic yet.I have a DJI mini 2 and a vivo y52 .From doing some research it looks like my phone should be compatible with it but the RC never connects to it.Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it purely just not compatible?

Have you enabled Developer mode in your and then enabled USB debugging? see if that works

To enable Developer mode, go to about phone, Software information, then keep tapping Build number till it tells you developer mode is activated.
2021-12-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_3dKKH5LoOASp Posted at 12-11 18:49

Why do you think your mobile device is approved for use with the DJI Fly app? It is not on their list. I only see the Vivo NEX 3, which is much faster.
2021-12-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maintenance? I change the electrons in the battery every 3000 miles.
2021-12-11
Use props
Hawkeye Photography
lvl.3
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 12-11 07:00
Change the props after every flight! The air that passes by them are wearing them out! 2 minutes flight time max.

I do it every 30 seconds just to be safe!
2021-12-12
Use props
Hawkeye Photography
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-11 20:36
Maintenance? I change the electrons in the battery every 3000 miles.

I use the 10w-30 high mileage electrons, makes the gimbal combobulator last longer.
2021-12-12
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Ah! But what about the Flux density macerator!
2021-12-12
Use props
red_canyon16
Second Officer
United States

DJI Vasily_2 Posted at 12-16 06:24
Hello there Hawkeye Photography. Good day and thanks for attaining out. I will post a DJI hyperlink wherein you can check some hints on how to preserve your DJI Drone. Thank you and fly securely always.

Https://shop.Dji.Com/guides/properly-keep-drone/

Fixed the link...

https://store.dji.com/guides/properly-maintain-drone/
2021-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules