Mavic mini SE missing 'subtitle' setting option.
2474 18 2021-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aairon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72831 ft

United States

I'm new to all of this but have been looking at some you tube videos and reading. I can't find anyone else mentioning this so I'm wondering if I'm the only one.
The examples I see all over the place clearly show a selection option for subtitles in the advanved camera settings.

Any input will be much appreciated.
P.S. I have played the video I've done so far and when I use VLC and go to sub titles I get info filling the screen about chroma etc but nothing like the simple position and height etc. it's just text overwriting the entire screen in vlc. Mind you this is without anyway to select subtitle in the app.
Wondsering if perhaps this is unique to only the 'SE'?

2021-12-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there aairon. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please try to enabled the subtitle option on the DJI Fly application to see if the issue will still persist. Thank you.
2021-12-9
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-9 20:12
Hello there aairon. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please try to enabled the subtitle option on the DJI Fly application to see if the issue will still persist. Thank you.

I'm using a Samsung S10 all other functions are present as I have observed in many videos. There is no way to "enable" the subtitle option  In the DJI fly app

as I stated already it does not exist as one of the many options on that screen.
Thank you very much for your time.

So if anyone else reading this and has a mini or a mini se or even a  mini 2

please! tell me if this setting exists in your dji fly app in the  advanced camera settings or anywhere?.
2021-12-9
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

aairon Posted at 12-9 20:18
I'm using a Samsung S10 all other functions are present as I have observed in many videos. There is no way to "enable" the subtitle option  In the DJI fly app

as I stated already it does not exist as one of the many options on that screen.

So do I give up and sell this drone or can this issue be resolved??
2021-12-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3 dot menu -> camera -> advanced camera settings -> video subtitles and switch them on......... Perhaps
2021-12-11
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-11 10:50
3 dot menu -> camera -> advanced camera settings -> video subtitles and switch them on......... Perhaps

Nope I keep saying it's NOT THERE IN THE SETTINGS ANYWHERE! NO OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!
2021-12-11
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-11 10:50
3 dot menu -> camera -> advanced camera settings -> video subtitles and switch them on......... Perhaps

Do you have a MAVIC Mini SE? I think this issue may be ONLY the Mini SE!
2021-12-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I do not have an SE just a Mavic Mini and  Mini 2.

Well now ain't this a poke in the eye.

I have phones with Fly App versions  1.1.6 (for a Mavic Mini), 1.3.something (for a  Mini2) and 1.5.4 ( for an FPV) on them.
With each phone disconnected from any controller all three show the "Video subtiltles" option in the "advanced camera settings" menu. Similarily when connected to a Mavic Mini controller, EU spec model MR1SD25, all three continue to show the video subtitles option and indeed it is still there and on when the controller is connected to its drone ( an EU spec Mavic Mini.)

BUT as 1.3 & 1.5.4 connect to a Mini 2 controller (RC231) the option disappears. Conversely when the phones are disconnected from the controller the option reappears.

Great big puddles of cow digested grass.

Seemingly another loss to 'improved' versions.
You might try the not connected ----connected-----not connected test yourself.

2021-12-11
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-11 12:02
I do not have an SE just a Mavic Mini and  Mini 2.

Well now ain't this a poke in the eye.

Thanks for the info, Now at least I can assume mine is the same as all others lol. I'll try with it disconnected. Confirmed that it does show while the controller is disconnected from the phoine/app. What a disappointment. They seem to keep removing "features" which are actually very key for some users.

2021-12-11
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

aairon Posted at 12-11 12:10
Thanks for the info, Now at least I can assume mine is the same as all others lol. I'll try with it disconnected. Confirmed that it does show while the controller is disconnected from the phoine/app. What a disappointment. They seem to keep removing "features" which are actually very key for some users.

It's no wonder that DJI Stephen  disappeared so quickly funny how that happens when a real issue pop's up.
2021-12-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What happens if you play a cached video on the phone?
The telemetry exists on the phone in the flightlog if nowhere else, (the App's flight replay uses it to create the flight replays).
You could probably lift the data from the csv of the flight log after the flight log is processed by the likes of PhantomHleps logviewer and or Airdata and then create sn SRT file of it (How ,I haven't s clue but I assume it could be done. ) and then use the SRT file as subtitles for VLC but I suspect that that would quickly become a pain in the derrier.
2021-12-11
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-11 12:35
What happens if you play a cached video on the phone?
The telemetry exists on the phone in the flightlog if nowhere else, (the App's flight replay uses it to create the flight replays).
You could probably lift the data from the csv of the flight log after the flight log is processed by the likes of PhantomHleps logviewer and or Airdata and then create sn SRT file of it (How ,I haven't s clue but I assume it could be done. ) and then use the SRT file as subtitles for VLC but I suspect that that would quickly become a pain in the derrier.

Good point, I tried that right away just to see if it was on by default making the selection unimportant, There is indeed telemetry data when using subtitles in VLC but the data is mostly about various camera settings like exposure and chroma all over writing the video on the screen so not really very useful as I can't seem to find position or altitude data in all that mess.
2021-12-11
Use props
JasonLoop
New

United States

The only reason I purchased my DJI Mini 2 was to make 360 spin videos at different altitudes to see the view from different floors of new buildings and I just assumed this data would be available. Is there some way to turn it on? I really just need height but height and direction would be awesome.
2021-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buying based on assumptions proves to not be a good idea where drones are concerned, better to try to check before hand.

That aside.
I haven't checked a Mini 2 flight replay or flight log for this but if the flight replay indicates when the drone is recording you could use the video and replay timestamps to determine the height at a particular time in the video.
Alternatively and again I havent checked to see whether the data is available in the csv I will mention and you'd have to process the flight log through Phantomhelps log viewer but, with some of my drones the flight log indicates when the drone is recording. If the Mini 2 does this and if that data is in the csv down loaded from PhantomHelp you could again compare timestamps and heights etc.
2021-12-18
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

I'm quickly learning that these DJI forums aren't very useful, with the robot moderator and the canned responses, I suggest perusing some other forums like the Mavic users one. Apparently these drones are being electronically castrated by DJI and a lot of folks are totally cool with that. So rather then swim upstream go with the flow and try some more informative sites. Sorry can't post links here.
2021-12-18
Use props
indigo141
lvl.1
Flight distance : 304777 ft

New Zealand

" There is indeed telemetry data when using subtitles in VLC but the data is mostly about various camera settings like exposure and chroma all over writing the video on the screen so not really very useful as I can't seem to find position or altitude data in all that mess."

Hi aairon, I have a mini SE with version 1.4.12 of DJI Fly (most up to date version that does not give me other problems). I can confirm that I have the subtitles on/off option where Sean-bumble-bee suggested to look. "3 dot menu -> camera -> advanced camera settings -> video subtitles and switch them on". I am having the same problem of extraneous data covering the screen when i turn subtitles on while watching a video in vlc, and am beginning to think this is a mini SE problem. I used https://djitelemetryoverlay.com/subtitle-extractor/# to extract the .srt file from a video i had shot. On the .srt file i can see that distance, height gps are there, but not seen on screen because of all the extraneous data preceding it. I would like to find a solution where i can see only distance, height, gps coordinates, like Mini 2 users have it. I have also posted about this in the Mavic Pilots >> Mini SE help forum>> "Words onscreen?" thread. I have posted there the data provided per frame of video.
2021-12-30
Use props
Xiarcher
lvl.2
United States

aairon Posted at 2021-12-9 20:18

as I stated already it does not exist as one of the many options on that screen.

I do not have them either,  samsung s20fe app 1.5.4
2022-1-5
Use props
Known1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 365495 ft
United States

Hello all, the SE is my first quadcopter/drone ever.  I'm really enjoying it!  Before flying my drone I went through all of the app settings.  I did indeed find the subtitles option, as I recall disabling it thinking "that's a strange setting when there is no audio".  That was about 3 weeks ago.  Do you recall your first three weeks with a drone?  I've obviously learned a lot since that time.  I now know what that setting controls and wish to enable it again.  

I'm not sure if it was a firmware update or an application update that did it, but like the OP, I no longer have the option to enable or disable this feature with the current version of the application.  Obviously the mini SE has the capability, as did the fly app at one time...not long ago.  What is going on in this regard; does anyone have an update?  Is there a more formal process when it comes to contacting DJI technical support about such matters?

Thanks,
Known1
2022-5-15
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1515965 ft
United Kingdom

aairon Posted at 2021-12-9 20:18

Yes it does under subtitles
2023-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules