4292 6 2021-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quaxo76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 479386 ft

Italy

Hello,
I've been wondering on what kind of interference, if any, power lines can have on the drone.
From where I live, if I fly West, I can easily reach a distance of almost 2km before the signal starts to drop. This is flying over uninhabited area, with no cities or towns around (except for the small town where I live), and no obstructions.
But if I try to fly North-East, still with no towns or obstructions, the signal starts to drop at about 500 meters, and I can't go past 700-800. That's at the same altitude.
The only difference is that North-East, there's a high-voltage power line, but the signal drops before I get near it.

But on another occasion, I went flying near (REALLY near) a pylon for the same power line, to test for interference, and I had no issues at all. I didn't fly past 500 meters of distance, but still, I kept having full signal, even when flying directly beyond the power line.

So... Do they interfere at all with our drones? I would say no, based on my test. But then, what could be causing such a different range in two different directions, when flying from my home area? Since there are no cities or towns in either direction, I would think it can't be WiFi interference...

Cristian

2021-12-10
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Cristian,

I don't think the electricity lines would influence so much.
The radio of the drone is mostly influenced by electro-magnetic waves. WiFi could be one of these or radio towers.
Also, radio waves have problems getting thru water. Water, as in leaves of trees.
2021-12-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Power lines do not cause interference to our drones, the most common source of radio competition comes from WiFi, and WiFi is everywhere, every home, every farm etc.
2021-12-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Do they interfere at all with our drones?
No ... you'd have to be very close to observe any effect of high voltage power lines, like perhaps 20 metres.
They have no effect over greater distances
2021-12-11
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

The frequency of 50 or 60 Hz alone does not affect the radio band, but electrical discharges on line insulators do. These are clicks of varying characteristics and frequency. Sometimes the human ear will also hear the characteristic clicks of HF on power lines. In extreme cases, it may disrupt the operation of radio devices.
2021-12-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I never had issues with powerlines (and transmission)
2021-12-11
Use props
kbrosni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1008586 ft
United States

I fly over these all power lines the time... no issues.
2021-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules