Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-24 15:13
TBH, thus far I have observed a decent correlation between the forecast and my actual number of sats.
The number of sats will vary due to the orbital patterns and the earth's rotation inside the cage they form around the earth.
But you won't ever find a time when there aren't many more than you need.

Begs the question again, why does it take so damn long to acquire enough of them…
2022-1-24
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-1-24
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Today after several minutes of wait for Home point fix - I start M3 fly to the limit (This is outrageous - OK they broke GPS But then they FORBID flying ) and made 2 panoramas till GPS Finally fix the home point
DJI - NEVER listen to customers
2022-1-25
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

How many satellites must the Mavic 3 (using the Fly app) acquire before getting a home point lock?  My M2P, using the Go 4 app, locks after acquiring 8 but I think the Mavic 3 takes more.
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Virgil Quick Posted at 1-25 20:10
How many satellites must the Mavic 3 (using the Fly app) acquire before getting a home point lock?  My M2P, using the Go 4 app, locks after acquiring 8 but I think the Mavic 3 takes more.

I think it wants 12. Above 8-9 it considers weak (yellow)
2022-1-25
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 1-25 20:34
I think it is ridiculous that this has been happening now for over 6 weeks without a fix released.

Maybe in January 2023? ;)
2022-1-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please provide us with the log for further analysis? Below are the methods to Aircraft Data, you may upload the files to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link with us.
(1) Download DJI Assistant 2 from the official website. Download link: https://www.dji.com/downloads?site=brandsite&from=nav
(2) Launch DJI Assistant 2. Within 20 seconds after the aircraft is powered on, connect it to DJI Assistant 2.
(3) After DJI Assistant 2 recognizes the aircraft, choose "Log Export", and then click "Save to local".
(4) The final exported data are ".dat" files.
2022-1-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-25 23:25
Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please provide us with the log for further analysis? Below are the methods to Aircraft Data, you may upload the files to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link with us.
(1) Download DJI Assistant 2 from the official website. Download link: https://www.dji.com/downloads?site=brandsite&from=nav
(2) Launch DJI Assistant 2. Within 20 seconds after the aircraft is powered on, connect it to DJI Assistant 2.

This issue is not related to one Mavic 3 drone but it is an issue across the board. Every Mavic 3 owner on here will provide you the log files but we never had this issue prior to the December update. Previous to this update the drone used to lock onto homeport very very fast and we would like that back again, even if the drone takes 30 to 40 seconds it will be acceptable but not 2 to 5 minutes to locks sats, this is eating away into flight/battery time.
2022-1-26
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Suren Posted at 1-26 00:06
This issue is not related to one Mavic 3 drone but it is an issue across the board. Every Mavic 3 owner on here will provide you the log files but we never had this issue prior to the December update. Previous to this update the drone used to lock onto homeport very very fast and we would like that back again, even if the drone takes 30 to 40 seconds it will be acceptable but not 2 to 5 minutes to locks sats, this is eating away into flight/battery time.

Hi Suren,
to be honest not everyone seems to have the GPS problem!

Of course, not everyone who has no problem at all reports in the forum. That's how it is with forums...

Some report that it is only the "very first" lock that lasts so long. Then the M3 would remember (save) the positions and use them at the next start...
Can you also tell that it got better (the second time around)???
2022-1-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

frankymusik Posted at 1-26 00:15
Hi Suren,

My drone does lock faster on the 2nd battery but for the first it is evidently longer. For me it did look like its better but I flew just now after flying about 4 hours ago and had to wait for over 3 minutes to get to 9 sats, then took off and just hovered there till I got homeport locked. Battery had drained from 100% to 96% by the time it got a full lock. That is a wastage of 4% of flight time I am losing just waiting for sats.
2022-1-26
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Suren Posted at 1-26 00:34
My drone does lock faster on the 2nd battery but for the first it is evidently longer. For me it did look like its better but I flew just now after flying about 4 hours ago and had to wait for over 3 minutes to get to 9 sats, then took off and just hovered there till I got homeport locked. Battery had drained from 100% to 96% by the time it got a full lock. That is a wastage of 4% of flight time I am losing just waiting for sats.

... I can understand that very well!

Others have already reported to me that this delay only occurred once after the SW update.
So something is "fishy" here...
2022-1-26
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 1-26 00:15
Hi Suren,

Second locks are fast because satellites are cached already. It's the first (cold start) time we are complaining  about.
Am I to understand that your M3 locks fast even for cold start?
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 1-26 02:55
... I can understand that very well!

Others have already reported to me that this delay only occurred once after the SW update.

There were two FW updates.
The satellite lock issue began manifesting itself after 2021-12-10 update, and was somewhat mollified with 2022-01-24 update, but not to the pre 2021-12-10 levels (or to M2P or other drones rate).
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if someone has time/willpower to downgrade their FW to 11/5/2021 and see the acquisition rate there again.
2022-1-26
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beating the dead horse...

I just executed a test flight to review and experiment with 360 degree panoramic photos, and as a part of the test I decided to wait on the ground until I had full satellite lock (strong GPS).  My environment was my home, where I flew off my back deck.  This environment has moderate obstructions to the sky (trees, neighbors' homes, my home).

I lost commitment to wait on the ground after 6 minutes.  I ascended 3.5m, and obtained lock and home point 15 seconds into flight.

I don't make any claims that this is software, hardware, or a combination of both.  But I draw the conclusion that this system is very sensitive to the unobstructed view to the sky, and anything a pilot can do to safely reduce obstructions will improve acquisition time.
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-26 08:51

I just executed a test flight to review and experiment with 360 degree panoramic photos, and as a part of the test I decided to wait on the ground until I had full satellite lock (strong GPS).  My environment was my home, where I flew off my back deck.  This environment has moderate obstructions to the sky (trees, neighbors' homes, my home).

Thank you for doing and sharing this. I'm sure DJI would like to get the logs of that wait pariod.

My situation at home is very similar to yours - trees and my house blocking half the sky.

While I haven't recently had enough stamina to wait that long ( I mostly shoot sunsets and the time is critical as it is), I do recall one case when I cold started in a wide open environment in the hills and the acquisition was very fast. I think I'm gonna test this hypothesis tonight after my regular hike. I can get to the middle of a local football filed located right where I park, and which is usually empty at that time of day, and see if the cold start on the ground shows any improvement.
2022-1-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Darth, I have an app called Satellite Check, it not only shows satellite location and strength, but type. GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BEIDOU, QZSS and IRNSS. Install this and see what you get in your area.
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-26 09:15
Darth, I have an app called Satellite Check, it not only shows satellite location and strength, but type. GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BEIDOU, QZSS and IRNSS. Install this and see what you get in your area.

Thanks man, I'll check it out!
2022-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DarthSLR Posted at 1-26 09:00
Thank you for doing and sharing this. I'm sure DJI would like to get the logs of that wait pariod.

My situation at home is very similar to yours - trees and my house blocking half the sky.

Have a look at this. Its from a forum member here “The Mad Angler” it explains a lot obviously done awhile ago so doesn’t cover this problem. But I think it will answer some questions for you.

2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-26 09:15
Darth, I have an app called Satellite Check, it not only shows satellite location and strength, but type. GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BEIDOU, QZSS and IRNSS. Install this and see what you get in your area.

Hmm, can't find it in iOS appstore. Is that exact correct name?
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 09:21
Have a look at this. Its from a forum member here “The Mad Angler” it explains a lot obviously done awhile ago so doesn’t cover this problem. But I think it will answer some questions for you.

https://youtu.be/i-CnCM0iEpk

Good find, thank you for sharing, and Mad Angler for making it.
It still does not explain drastic difference between M3 and say M2P.
Unless exclusion of GLONASS significantly reduced HDOP variety and the remaining constellations are now much closer to each other.
2022-1-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-26 09:21
Hmm, can't find it in iOS appstore. Is that exact correct name?

Yes. I have an Android phone. I did download it from APKPURE for android and installed it on my RC Pro. Everything works except the map.
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-26 09:34
Yes. I have an Android phone. I did download it from APKPURE for android and installed it on my RC Pro. Everything works except the map.

Uhg, would not help then. I'm on RC Pro, which does not have its own connection most of the time. I'll check iOS alternatives.
2022-1-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-26 09:36
Uhg, would not help then. I'm on RC Pro, which does not have its own connection most of the time. I'll check iOS alternatives.

It works on the RC Pro. I just installed it. Once installed no need for internet. But if you do If you need internet, use your phone hotspot.
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-26 09:40
It works on the RC Pro. I just installed it. If you need internet, use your phone hotspot.

I wish it was that easy...
Last time I checked RC Pro could not use hotspot on iPhone.
But I haven't tested it after last FW update, maybe it can now.
I'll check.
2022-1-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-26 09:43
I wish it was that easy...
Last time I checked RC Pro could not use hotspot on iPhone.
But I haven't tested it after last FW update, maybe it can now.

Install it at home. It doesn't need internet to work.
2022-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DarthSLR Posted at 1-26 09:30
Good find, thank you for sharing, and Mad Angler for making it.
It still does not explain drastic difference between M3 and say M2P.
Unless exclusion of GLONASS significantly reduced HDOP variety and the remaining constellations are now much closer to each other.

If that was the case then it would have been the case from the start and would mean FW is not the issue. I think there’s a lot of speculation and maybe DJI should clear this up and let users know what the problem is. This guy in the video clocks it at 90 seconds. I think if more done exact same video it might put more pressure on DJI to sort it . I have to say the 90 seconds in this video doesn’t seem long for starting off.

2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-26 09:52
Install it at home. It doesn't need internet to work.

Hmm.
Does RC pro have its own GPS module?
I know smartphones do, but I know RC pro in the past could not locate itself on the map until the drone would come "online".
And if it does not, then how on earth it would get the data about all the satellites, with no GPS of its own and no internet? It would have to rely on the drone again, which brings us back to square one...
2022-1-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

DarthSLR Posted at 1-26 09:00

In my situation, I also fly from my deck but the difference is the drone has a clear view of the sky. My Autel locks sats in seconds, the M3 before the December update locked sats in seconds as well. I will downgrade the firmware today when I get home just to test this theory.
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 09:56
If that was the case then it would have been the case from the start and would mean FW is not the issue. I think there’s a lot of speculation and maybe DJI should clear this up and let users know what the problem is. This guy in the video clocks it at 90 seconds. I think if more done exact same video it might put more pressure on DJI to sort it . I have to say the 90 seconds in this video doesn’t seem long for starting off.

https://youtu.be/twnGMPqfLJ0

You've read Charles's account, right? Lost patience after 6 minutes sitting on the ground, no bueno. I would too.
So far my experience has been very similar to his. Once I'm in the air (preferably as max allowed altitude since I still have to account for a pretty large hill on whose side my hose is situated), the acquisition is within 60..90 seconds. Which is not ideal, but usable, for a cold start at least.
If I'm on the ground, it can easily go into minutes.
2022-1-26
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 1-26 10:16
In my situation, I also fly from my deck but the difference is the drone has a clear view of the sky. My Autel locks sats in seconds, the M3 before the December update locked sats in seconds as well. I will downgrade the firmware today when I get home just to test this theory.

That would be awesome, thank you!
2022-1-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 09:56
If that was the case then it would have been the case from the start and would mean FW is not the issue. I think there’s a lot of speculation and maybe DJI should clear this up and let users know what the problem is. This guy in the video clocks it at 90 seconds. I think if more done exact same video it might put more pressure on DJI to sort it . I have to say the 90 seconds in this video doesn’t seem long for starting off.

https://youtu.be/twnGMPqfLJ0

This guy locked sats much faster then I do, he started his timer way early. I will try downgrading my firmware today and see if that clears the issue and post back here.
2022-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DarthSLR Posted at 1-26 10:16
You've read Charles's account, right? Lost patience after 6 minutes sitting on the ground, no bueno. I would too.
So far my experience has been very similar to his. Once I'm in the air (preferably as max allowed altitude since I still have to account for a pretty large hill on whose side my hose is situated), the acquisition is within 60..90 seconds. Which is not ideal, but usable, for a cold start at least.
If I'm on the ground, it can easily go into minutes.

My point is, was it FW update or is it something else, I think the more video evidence the more you have to go on. I’m certain a video showing 6 minutes should get some attention but 90 seconds from start up may not. I haven’t read Charles account but I have read Gary-h who was talking like it was a very very long time.
2022-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 1-26 08:51

I just executed a test flight to review and experiment with 360 degree panoramic photos, and as a part of the test I decided to wait on the ground until I had full satellite lock (strong GPS).  My environment was my home, where I flew off my back deck.  This environment has moderate obstructions to the sky (trees, neighbors' homes, my home).

That’s way to long and it shouldn’t happen. I think uploading a video might get some attention.
2022-1-26
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 10:57
That’s way to long and it shouldn’t happen. I think uploading a video might get some attention.

Maybe, but it's pretty simple to describe...  Imagine the user interface with a static picture.  Now imagine that for 6 minutes
2022-1-26
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-1-26
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 1-26 11:03
Maybe, but it's pretty simple to describe...  Imagine the user interface with a static picture.  Now imagine that for 6 minutes

I have no problem imagining it, but DJI need to be shown how bad this is for some. Looking at 90 seconds start up it doesn’t look like a third world problem :+) but waiting 6 minutes and still not enough to fly safely, well that’s a real problem, and it shouldn’t happen.
2022-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules