BUG? White Balance Shift Error When Changing Modes
566 13 2021-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

Hi All,

I'm back from vacation and beginning to go through my footage from Saint Lucia.  Some of it is looking very good, however I have already noticed a few issues.  Unfortunately I was unable to update firmware while on vacation, so this is using the November firmware.

The issue I've noticed here and other times prior, is the white balance shifting wildly when changing modes.  In the example below, on the left is a video I was taking with correct white balance.  Then, I switched to photo mode to take some pictures (which came out fine).  Upon returning to video/DLOG (about 30 seconds later, no perceptible change in environmental lighting, and no change in settings), the white balance is way off, as is the exposure, and extremely difficult to correct - it's not just a matter of shifting tint and color temperature, as getting the mountain looking accurate makes the water and sky look way off.  The ONLY processing done to these examples is applying the DJI Mavic 3 to Rec 709 LUT in the creative tab of Premiere Pro CC.  No other adjustments were made.  Beneath the photo I included some scopes, so you can see that the exposure is also off, and the white balance is very off, yet not proportionally.  

I believe this is a bug, and would like to know if DJI is aware of it and working on it, or if anyone else has experienced this.  Unfortunately, while shooting in DLOG, it is extremely difficult to notice this shift while out in the field on a sunny day, so all we can do is take the footage home and hope it came out okay.  In this example, I'll need to do a decent amount of work to color match the footage, which should not be something we have to do in a scenario like this.

Mavic 3 - St Lucia - White Balance Shift When Changing Modes.JPG
Mavic 3 - St Lucia - White Balance Shift When Changing Modes - Scopes.JPG

2021-12-14
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

For additional reference, here is the photo I took immediately before switching back to DLOG video with the example on the right above.  Unedited JPG straight out of the camera.  The white balance matches that of the image on the left above.

2021-12-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Chest Rockwell. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for sharing these information with us. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.
2021-12-14
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-14 22:23
Hello there Chest Rockwell. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for sharing these information with us. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.

Thank you Stephen.

For additional context in how it may be potentially replicated - I shoot with manual white balance when doing video in DLOG, and Auto WB when taking photos.  I do this because I don't want the white balance shifting while I'm filming, but I don't mind the app selecting the best WB for a specific shot.  It seems that when I switch from DLOG video, to Photo, then back to DLOG video, that is when this bug occurs.

I identified this bug in testing at home before leaving for vacation, and the work around I was doing was just remembering to reset my WB every time I switch back to DLOG video.  I usually did this on vacation but I didn't this time because there were people waiting for me and I was in a hurry, so I forgot.
2021-12-14
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

A lot of things were supposedly fixed with the recent updates. I can't advise you on how that may have affected your experiences. Bleeding-edge technology is just that.
2021-12-14
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-14 22:29
A lot of things were supposedly fixed with the recent updates. I can't advise you on how that may have affected your experiences. Bleeding-edge technology is just that.

Agreed.  I knew the risks when I took it on vacation.  Fortunately it seems like I only forgot to use my workaround of resetting the WB when switching back to video twice after reviewing all the footage, so only a handful of shots were messed up by it, and it's not completely irrecoverable.  Just wanted to bring it to people's attention so others know how to avoid it and hopefully DJI can fix it.
2021-12-14
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are the ideal beta tester ;-)
2021-12-14
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-14 22:38
You are the ideal beta tester ;-)

Ha!  You're right.  Would be more ideal (for me) if they sent it to me for free.  Unfortunately this is the second one I've purchased (returned the first for the Magenta on the sides).  This second one still has magenta but not as bad.  I'm honestly considering trying for a third one at this point, but I'll try the firmware update first and see if it helps.
2021-12-14
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Chest Rockwell Posted at 12-14 22:54
Ha!  You're right.  Would be more ideal (for me) if they sent it to me for free.  Unfortunately this is the second one I've purchased (returned the first for the Magenta on the sides).  This second one still has magenta but not as bad.  I'm honestly considering trying for a third one at this point, but I'll try the firmware update first and see if it helps.

I hear that the magenta corruption is fixed with the last firmware (today..yesterday ?). Anyway, it may be fixed.
2021-12-14
Use props
Xavier1984
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579088 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi with the new firmware when you switch from photo to video the wb is not kept !

Typically i want auto wb for photo and 6500k wb for video but it is not possible to keep both settings between 2 modes. So i need to re set the wb wvery time.

DJI please add the possibility to save the wb setting between two modes.
2021-12-15
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

Xavier1984 Posted at 12-15 12:00
Hi with the new firmware when you switch from photo to video the wb is not kept !

Typically i want auto wb for photo and 6500k wb for video but it is not possible to keep both settings between 2 modes. So i need to re set the wb wvery time.

Yup, that sounds like what I've been seeing.  I usually remember to reset the WB because I noticed this bug early on, but forgot this time.
2021-12-15
Use props
Xavier1984
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579088 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Chest Rockwell Posted at 12-15 12:01
Yup, that sounds like what I've been seeing.  I usually remember to reset the WB because I noticed this bug early on, but forgot this time.

Of course. But it is a bug that DJI must resolve. All camera settings must be saved independantly between modes.
2021-12-15
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

Xavier1984 Posted at 12-15 12:03
Of course. But it is a bug that DJI must resolve. All camera settings must be saved independantly between modes.

I agree.  I wouldn't be as concerned about it if it was simply a white balance shift but I can't correct it with just adjusting temp and tint, correcting it requires fine tuning in color wheels and that's just bizarre to me.  Something weird is definitely happening when switching between modes.  I've also noticed it when switching to Slow Motion modes, a similar tint and temperature shift that isn't very precise.  Very odd.
2021-12-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Chest Rockwell Posted at 12-14 22:28
Thank you Stephen.

For additional context in how it may be potentially replicated - I shoot with manual white balance when doing video in DLOG, and Auto WB when taking photos.  I do this because I don't want the white balance shifting while I'm filming, but I don't mind the app selecting the best WB for a specific shot.  It seems that when I switch from DLOG video, to Photo, then back to DLOG video, that is when this bug occurs.

Hi there Chest Rockwell. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information. Again, thank you for your valued support and keep flying.
2021-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules