505 12 2021-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eaglewood Pictures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5738255 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

The change of seasons is such a self-evident phenomenon that we take it for granted yet we struggle to catch it in the act. Look outside - the nature seems so static compared to the hectic lives we must live. At best we might notice a sudden heatwave or an unexpected freeze, a violent storm or a particularly vibrant sunset. But in fact nature is everything but still – it’s in constant motion changing and morphing, we just function on different timescales. Maybe that’s the reason we sometimes struggle to grasp bigger shifts such as climate change?

The obsession with trying to bring those timescales closer for me started with time-lapses where with relatively simple techniques I could speed up hours and translate them to human-perceptible seconds. I was fascinated by the results, but soon after found myself wondering - what’s next? At the dawn of drone photography I briefly played around with aerial time-lapses, but the results were somewhat lacking. That is until the spring 2019 when I asked a simple question - what if I could somehow speed up the change of seasons and at the same time showcase the nuanced beauty of Latvia which just happens to be blessed by proper four seasons? And do it in the most dynamic way possible to pay homage to the fluid nature of the nature (what a mouthful!).

About 30 locations all around Latvia where chosen - from the iconic bends of river Daugava and the lake district of Latgale to the ancient valley of Gauja National park to bogs of Ķemeri National park, the rocky beaches and rolling hills of Vidzeme, pine forests of Kurzeme and agricultural lands of Zemgale. Unsure how much of it would end up in the final piece (in fact - more than a half of material didn’t make the cut), I kept driving thousands of kilometers, returning to the same locations over and over again. Amidst all the logistics and technicalities thoughts about the meaning of it all kept creeping in. The value and fragility of NOW, the coming of better times and the passing of bad ones, the inevitable cyclicity of it all yet at the same time the uniqueness of each cycle. In this case nature being a mere catalyst for the thought-train. The train that doesn’t have the first, nor the last car. Same as this video having no definite beginning or end.

The project was filmed using a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone controlled by a third-party app called Litchi. The idea was simple: arrive at a location (or more often than not camp there), launch the drone, compose a shot, record the starting GPS location, height and heading, fly to the final location, record the same values in addition to the desired speed and what video mode was used (HQ or full FOV), save it all as a mission to repeat next time, lay back and let the robots do their work. And this is where simple part ends.

Find out more about the technicalities of this long term project on the project's website: landscapesofchange.com

2021-12-16
Use props
Dakster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 378196 ft
United Kingdom

An awesome video, you must have invested a great deal of time and effort. A great result  
2021-12-16
Use props
Eaglewood Pictures
lvl.4
  • >>>
Latvia

Dakster Posted at 12-16 10:49
An awesome video, you must have invested a great deal of time and effort. A great result

Yes, three years in fact. Most of which in post-production (albeit with some long off periods). Thank you for your comment!
2021-12-16
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Same here: bloody awesome. So I was right (in AirVuz): waypoints or rather the same function in another app. Like the editing and the transition style.
2021-12-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very impressive. What foresight and depth of planning you have put into this lengthy project. The result is outstanding.
2021-12-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stunning footage.  
2021-12-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Spectacular footage!  You nailed this long term project.
2021-12-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Stunning video!
Absolutely stunning!
2021-12-17
Use props
Climbnride58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67736 ft
United States

Great footage, and a lot of dedication to the project.
2021-12-18
Use props
Elevated Camera
Second Officer
Australia

Absolutely brilliant idea Arvids! Same as Depp I suspected the use of waypoints but reading through the tech debrief it struck me there's much more to account for When can we expect the final part to be released? Great great work, really impressive.
2021-12-18
Use props
Eaglewood Pictures
lvl.4
  • >>>
Latvia

Elevated Camera Posted at 12-18 18:20
Absolutely brilliant idea Arvids! Same as Depp I suspected the use of waypoints but reading through the tech debrief it struck me there's much more to account for  When can we expect the final part to be released? Great great work, really impressive.

Thank you all for the comments!

I've compiled all behind the scenes infos on http://landscapesofchange.com/

As seen on PetaPixel too: https://petapixel.com/2021/12/21 ... he-flow-of-seasons/
2021-12-22
Use props
Elevated Camera
Second Officer
Australia

Eaglewood Pictures Posted at 12-22 01:34
Thank you all for the comments!

I've compiled all behind the scenes infos on http://landscapesofchange.com/

What a fascinating read! Thanks for completing the post production side of things in your blog post. Knowing this had to be truly difficult, only now one appreciates the attention to detail that went into making this such a stand out movie!

Hands down one of the best drone projects I've seen to date. Thank you for sharing
2021-12-22
Use props
SHERLOCKHOLMES
Second Officer

India

it looks so good
2022-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules