Landing the M3 on the Lake : Police are watching
123Next >
2857 100 2021-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rainphantom
lvl.3

United States

Testing out the Rescue Jaket on the M3 , its incedible power along with a Stream Line Design provides for serious time over the water.

2021-12-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there rainphantom. Good day and thank you for sharing this interesting video with us. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-12-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-18 19:09
Hello there rainphantom. Good day and thank you for sharing this interesting video with us. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

You mean ...  thankyou for advertising your products again on this forum
2021-12-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, that is true. But...I am glad he posted this. I am seriously considering it for purchase. But I wonder if the M2 jacket would work as well with the M3.
2021-12-18
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Very nice tests. This could save many pilots drones. I have seen many posts on here about pilots losing their drones to the water.
2021-12-18
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that is a cool idea.  I can honestly say i would never try to use it on purpose, but when flying over water the question becomes, would I put one of these on my M3?  HECK YES.

Thank you for sharing this one!
2021-12-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-18 21:14
Yep, that is true. But...I am glad he posted this. I am seriously considering it for purchase. But I wonder if the M2 jacket would work as well with the M3.

But I wonder if the M2 jacket would work as well with the M3.
Work as well  ...  at catching the wind and reducing the drone's speed and battery life?
2021-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

After a long distance flight you can see the wipers as he’s sitting in the car he would be much better off buying a jacket for himself , he’d be able to get out of the car then
2021-12-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A fascinating and exhaustive test. Works well on calm water and controlled landings. Did the police ask questions, I wonder.
2021-12-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Now that is brave.
2021-12-19
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Advertising maybe, but sill shows that it works! If it allows those who wish to fly over water with more confidence then where's the harm?
2021-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not something I would consider.
2021-12-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice test of the rain jacket.    I think the police were just amused at seeing the drone flying in the rain.  
2021-12-19
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 03:19
Not something I would consider.

I wouln't use one either but I guess there is still a market for them out there.
2021-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

yogi053 Posted at 12-19 05:21
I wouln't use one either but I guess there is still a market for them out there.

I think so indeed.
2021-12-19
Use props
rainphantom
lvl.3

United States

Rescue Jackets are not just to navigate the water but are used in the Snow, Sand, Mud . High Grass , and rock terrain. and its a life saver for boaters who need to reach out and grab the drone.   
The Rescue Jacket allows you to grab with a lot of confidence that your not going to get caught by the Props ,  Its a utility tool that has a lot of uses .   

Recently I took the Drone out on the Jet ski , the waters were rough , We had to stop as we herd someone asking for help.
The rescue Jacket saved the drone because if she missed the grab we would have had to leave the drone to land on its own as we went to resuce the girl.

Start the video at 6 minutes in for the hand catch .
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/584651292

2021-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rainphantom Posted at 12-19 09:55
Rescue Jackets are not just to navigate the water but are used in the Snow, Sand, Mud . High Grass , and rock terrain. and its a life saver for boaters who need to reach out and grab the drone.   
The Rescue Jacket allows you to grab with a lot of confidence that your not going to get caught by the Props ,  Its a utility tool that has a lot of uses .   

This is some awful BS, and making a mockery of SAR to line your own pockets. Your long winded ridiculous videos are about nothing except self gratifying ego trips your having. What is your purpose please feel free to explain instead of trying to show ridiculous videos that serve little purpose.
2021-12-19
Use props
rainphantom
lvl.3

United States

I do have more videos of hand catching off the boat with the Rescue Jacket  but I think the Jet Ski hand catch was the best example of someone who has never touched a drone was able to reach out and grab it safely , and we did save a girl from drowning . so there is that.      
2021-12-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

over the years, 3 times the police set up on me.  twice they got out of the car, approached me in the field, asking harmless questions.

"nice drone,  im thinking about getting one for my son; does your drone have a camera on it?"

i replied with "my drone has all the equipment it came with from the manufacturer."

i think he could tell by my body language i didn't want to have a discussion so he left.

the other time, officer came out to with my drone on pad ready to launch and he stood there waiting to see takeoff.  i told him i was wrapping up and about to leave, so he left.

so you said it best, it's really uncomfortable for some of us when they watch but just remain calm and be nice since all i was doing was "having fun."
2021-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rainphantom Posted at 12-19 10:58
I do have more videos of hand catching off the boat with the Rescue Jacket  but I think the Jet Ski hand catch was the best example of someone who has never touched a drone was able to reach out and grab it safely , and we did save a girl from drowning . so there is that.

Total BS, you were pi$$ing about with your drone while supposedly the girl was drowning “What kind of SAR is that. Or was this whole thing a “Happy Coincidence “ your here trying to promote your goods at the expense of people who actually put their lives on the line to rescue people. Nobody believes your BS ….
2021-12-19
Use props
Apatron
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, pretty cool. I can see there are some places I would use this. For example, landing close to the subject while you wait for action to begin rather than hover.
2021-12-19
Use props
Apatron
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing,  that is pretty cool. I can see there are some places I would use this. For example, landing close to the subject while you wait for action to begin rather than hover.  
The only concern is that when I crash, I rarely crash flat or at a slow speed. So if you can have a smooth and controlled crash, this will save you a lot of money.
2021-12-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Apatron Posted at 12-19 13:51
Thanks for sharing,  that is pretty cool. I can see there are some places I would use this. For example, landing close to the subject while you wait for action to begin rather than hover.  
The only concern is that when I crash, I rarely crash flat or at a slow speed. So if you can have a smooth and controlled crash, this will save you a lot of money.

There is another benefit. Even if you crash upside down... if you have the Care Refresh insurance, you can retrieve the drone and get another one at a large discount. I am seriously considering purchase. If I do get one, I will do some testing to document the negative effects and advise whether I think it is feasible.

Edit: I just ordered one. I will let you all know how it works. Be very nervious rainphantom guy ;-) JK...or am I?

2021-12-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-20 19:36
There is another benefit. Even if you crash upside down... if you have the Care Refresh insurance, you can retrieve the drone and get another one at a large discount. I am seriously considering purchase. If I do get one, I will do some testing to document the negative effects and advise whether I think it is feasible.

Edit: I just ordered one. I will let you all know how it works. Be very nervious rainphantom guy ;-) JK...or am I?

I will do some testing to document the negative effects and advise whether I think it is feasible.
That would be interesting.
His website avoids giving any details of just how much his products handicap your drone's performance.
2021-12-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-20 21:01
I will do some testing to document the negative effects and advise whether I think it is feasible.
His website avoids giving any details of just how much his products handicap your drone's performance.

Well, to be honest, does any seller advertise the handicaps loudly ? That would business suicide. Notice how the drug companies leave the disclaimers for last and very fast and low in volume ;-) For example I take the heart drug Plavix and it has save my life at least once. There are a huge number of disclaimers... I ignore them.
2021-12-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-20 21:09
Well, to be honest, does any seller advertise the handicaps loudly ? That would business suicide. Notice how the drug companies leave the disclaimers for last and very fast and low in volume ;-) For example I take the heart drug Plavix and it has save my life at least once. There are a huge number of disclaimers... I ignore them.

Well, to be honest, does any seller advertise the handicaps loudly ?

If you are considering whether to strap a big wind-catching device to your drone, what effect it has on the drone's performance should be the #1 point to consider.
2021-12-20
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-20 21:01

Hi Labroides,
I personally made a test range using the Wetsuit and Rescue jacket in my Mavic Air 2 and the result was not bad. Does not affect too much the performance. I am just a happy client from Phantomrain. Just to give you an example of use, when you need to wait over the water for action when you are far from shore or you cant get close but you want the drone close is an exellent option. There is a company that i know used to record iceberg braking. They can not be very close because the wave is damgerous for the boat and they can not hover until happen because will drain the battery, so they just land close and wait with the drone in standby, then they take off when happen. That can take days to happene but is just a quick example. All depend the use.
In my opinion all depend what you want to do with the product.

Here is the video.

2021-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 12-21 15:02
Hi Labroides,
I personally made a test range using the Wetsuit and Rescue jacket in my Mavic Air 2 and the result was not bad. Does not affect too much the performance. I am just a happy client from Phantomrain. Just to give you an example of use, when you need to wait over the water for action when you are far from shore or you cant get close but you want the drone close is an exellent option. There is a company that i know used to record iceberg braking. They can not be very close because the wave is damgerous for the boat and they can not hover until happen because will drain the battery, so they just land close and wait with the drone in standby, then they take off when happen. That can take days to happene but is just a quick example. All depend the use.
In my opinion all depend what you want to do with the product.

So you did a range test with water landing gear and “Rain Jacket. “You never entered the water” and there was no rain. How ridiculous is that , I can guarantee you that without jacket and floats your performance would have been much better and believe me that does not take a genius to figure out.
2021-12-21
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-21 15:09
So you did a range test with water landing gear and “Rain Jacket. “You never entered the water” and there was no rain. How ridiculous is that , I can guarantee you that without jacket and floats your performance would have been much better and believe me that does not take a genius to figure out.

Hallmark007,
I fly over a lake very often and take videos from wildlife. This is just an extra layer of security in case something does wrong I can recover my drone. The test was to check how much is affected the drone by using the rescue jacket and id did well. I know will do better without it but that was not my point.

As I mentioned my intention is not land in the water as daily basis but be able to recover the drone is a plus.
2021-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 12-21 15:16
Hallmark007,
I fly over a lake very often and take videos from wildlife. This is just an extra layer of security in case something does wrong I can recover my drone. The test was to check how much is affected the drone by using the rescue jacket and id did well. I know will do better without it but that was not my point.

I fly over water almost every time I fly but I don’t need to add anything to my drone to keep it safe, but I do know if I invest in my skills flying and gaining knowledge on how and when to fly I will keep my drone safe from harm.
I have never ever heard of one single drone being saved by this contraption on any drone , but I have heard of many being saved by skilled and informed pilots. This jacket and float adds nothing to any drone and if it did then drone manufacturers would quickly design similar. Its a half baked idea that encourages people who are nervous about flying over water to buy and use it, but money would be far better spent learning how to fly and learning how to fly safely.

If there were many drones saved by this contraption , it might have some merit. You talk about it landing in the lake, if this happens does it come with a Boat or do you have to go get a boat while keeping one eye on the 9 inch drone in the middle of a lake , cmon this is a gadget that has as much potential to do damage as it has to save anything, similar to using other ridiculous gadgets like go getter another folly that has not shown a single positive result for a single drone.

I think its clear that results using these gadgets are Zilch zero nada none that they have ever been responsible for saving a single drone, but all manufacturers including dji will void your warranty for using these and payloads “WILL” show up in flight log. So advising people to void their warranties in order to try save their drone is a complete misnomer.

Remember if you put your drone into the water at 30mph you will damage it and even if you find it you will have voided your care refresh and warranty.
2021-12-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-21 15:52
I fly over water almost every time I fly but I don’t need to add anything to my drone to keep it safe, but I do know if I invest in my skills flying and gaining knowledge on how and when to fly I will keep my drone safe from harm.
I have never ever heard of one single drone being saved by this contraption on any drone , but I have heard of many being saved by skilled and informed pilots. This jacket and float adds nothing to any drone and if it did then drone manufacturers would quickly design similar. Its a half baked idea that encourages people who are nervous about flying over water to buy and use it, but money would be far better spent learning how to fly and learning how to fly safely.

"Remember if you put your drone into the water at 30mph you will damage  it and even if you find it you will have voided your care refresh and  warranty."

Are you going to rat him out? Sounds like it.

I will be glad to test your theory when I get mine. Stand by....

"...if this happens does it come with a Boat or do you have to go get a boat..."

This guy did not land on water, but it might have well been so. That did not stop him from renting a boat to get it before the tide came in. Not much difference there.

2021-12-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007,

You are wasting your time explaining anything to these guys. They object to everything that does not fit their agenda. And some guys are afraid of doing anything remotely interesting and new. Pity them.
2021-12-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-20 21:32
Well, to be honest, does any seller advertise the handicaps loudly ?
If you are considering whether to strap a big wind-catching device to your drone, what effect it has on the drone's performance should be the #1 point to consider.

What does that comment have to do with the line you quoted? Nothing... unrelated.
2021-12-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Hallmark007,

The test was to check how much is affected the drone by using the rescue jacket and id did well. I know will do better without it but that was not my point.
Having a customer say that it doesn't affect performance too much isn't enough.
If I was in the market for this, I'd be wanting to see actual numbers from the maker to indicate how much this affects the drone's performance.
Wind is often a serious concern for my flying and I have to know that my drone can get out and back safely.
I suspect that the performance cut would be too much for me and possibly contribute to losing a drone.

This is just an extra layer of security in case something does wrong I can recover my drone.
A floatie is no security where I do most flying.
If the drone goes down, recovery isn't an option anyway.
But my drones have flown well over the ocean for many years and I have confidence in their abilities.

2021-12-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-21 21:07
The test was to check how much is affected the drone by using the rescue jacket and id did well. I know will do better without it but that was not my point.
Having a customer say that it doesn't affect performance too much isn't enough.
If I was in the market for this, I'd be wanting to see actual numbers from the maker to indicate how much this affects the drone's performance.

"A floatie is no security where I do most flying. "

Not a good point. Some of us are more prepared to get it in a better location. Sorry for your loss...in advance :-)
2021-12-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-21 21:52

Not a good point. Some of us are more prepared to get it in a better location. Sorry for your loss...in advance :-)

Not a good point. Some of us are more prepared to get it in a better location.
Better location?
Some of us are prepared to fly where photo subjects are, not a backyard pond or canal.

Sorry for your loss...in advance :-)
Don't kid yourself.
Today my #1 drone's over-the-ocean flying total passed 4000 miles.
And >1000 miles of over-land flight with no incidents.

2021-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 12-21 20:03
"Remember if you put your drone into the water at 30mph you will damage  it and even if you find it you will have voided your care refresh and  warranty."

Are you going to rat him out? Sounds like it.

No need to rat him out payloads will register in your flight log, and you if your guy had have landed in the water with the raft on board even if he hired the Royal Navy he wouldn’t have found his drone out there. So don’t be ridiculous and show us how many drones have been saved using this contraption .
2021-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 12-21 20:06
You are wasting your time explaining anything to these guys. They object to everything that does not fit their agenda. And some guys are afraid of doing anything remotely interesting and new. Pity them.

Maybe you’ll be on standby to fetch his drone for him in the middle of lake Gitchigumi
2021-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 12-21 21:52

So your drone is covered for all failures except pilot error, so your putting this contraption on that has never saved anything, and from manufacturers recommendation will effect your craft and how it flys, and you say we are the ones objecting because it doesn’t fit our agenda. The fact that you lack confidence in your own ability to fly the drone, I would suggest a glass case will give you much more protection.

The irony here is , you buy a drone spend big money and the reduce its capabilities by adding something “not recommended “ voiding the warranty and you think your odds are lifted to saving it
2021-12-22
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

My friends. The product is not for everybody. You can’t find use for it but some people for example boat owners will appreciate the product as an example. I personally do not use the rescue jacket all the time since I don’t see that necessary depending the application.

The fact I don’t like a product doesn’t mean I will made a bad propaganda to it. I leave that to individual judgement respecting everyone point of view.

At the end, I guess phantomrain just bring something positive trying to help the hobby or work to some people. Something positive.
2021-12-22
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules