Yaw drift
1561 10 2021-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Original Thought
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

I need to experiment more with this, but I believe my Mini 2 might always be drifting to the left when I use the yaw control to rotate.

If I centre the criss-hairs on an object and yaw left or right then the point I centred on drifts to the right of the shot. I think it's the same whichever way I yaw, but I need to confirm this as I have a habit of yawing anti-clock.

Related question... Is yaw rotation centred on the camera or the centre of the aircraft? Shouldn't make a bit difference from a good height, but might be noticeable on lower level shots.

-N.O.T.
2021-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Did you check with new props?
2021-12-19
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It's a new aircraft.

Only flown twice and saw the issue both times. No collisions or prop contact with anything other than prop storage strap.

And this is with good GPS lock in wide open areas.

The drift isn't massive, but enough to spoil a vertical rotating shot.

-N.O.T.
2021-12-19
Use props
MiniManiac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 12-19 04:36
It's a new aircraft.

Only flown twice and saw the issue both times. No collisions or prop contact with anything other than prop storage strap.

I would try an IMU calibration and see if that cures the issue, also wind can be a factor, it may be calm on the ground but windy at height.
2021-12-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I would also try a controller calibration.
2021-12-19
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MiniManiac Posted at 12-19 06:26
I would try an IMU calibration and see if that cures the issue, also wind can be a factor, it may be calm on the ground but windy at height.

It seems to be to the left relative to the aircraft rather than in a particular wind direction, but I'll try IMU calibration.
2021-12-19
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-19 07:05
I would also try a controller calibration.

Hover seems to be stable, but will try controller calibration as well.

Based on the suggestions I assume what I am seeing is not normal?
2021-12-19
Use props
red_canyon16
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23302795 ft
United States

When I asked about this in the forum a few months ago, I got all the same suggestions you are getting. One person suggested calibrating the joysticks which seemed to help.
2021-12-19
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Not sure which sorted it, but before flight today (primarily to test some details of RTH on controller connection loss) I calibrated compass, IMU and gimbal.

A couple of days ago I had also calibrated sticks.

Today my yaw rotation test - despite some pretty 'orrible ground level gusts - was bang on the mark.

I positioned the centre of my landing pad on the crosshair which the gimble 90deg down and spun... and all is good, the crosshair appeared to remain within an inch or two of the centre while flying at below eye level - that's is more than a little impressive!

-N.O.T.
2021-12-31
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

Might need to try this, I have a very slow (but noticeable in photos) yaw to the left but only when I do AEB photos.
2021-12-31
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AussieDronePilot Posted at 2021-12-31 16:08
Might need to try this, I have a very slow (but noticeable in photos) yaw to the left but only when I do AEB photos.

I'll be interested to know how you get on - I couldn't quite believe the improvement!
2022-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules