DJI Air 2s & SC Help Please
1311 37 2021-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101870 ft
Ireland

Hi all, Just received my SC back from DJI after repairs and testing.

Looking for advice on how to properly update Battery firmware please. I have the SC Combo version and tried the charging directly from the charger as opposed to the HUB.

Nearly lost my friggin life today with my Air2s during flight and only 145 meters away from me over a tidal estuary (but may as well have been on the moon as the mud made it inaccessible) and my Air 2s disconnected from my SC. Thankfully I was Screen Recording so I can share and seek advice from ye.

2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Oh can't seem to upload a video only a picture, sorry for the stupid question can we not upload a video directly from our PC to this forum? This is the screenshot of the screen recording, the SC completely disconnected from the Air2s mid flight??
2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Anyone know or witnessed this happening mid flight? And ill try to upload the screen recording video here.

My Air 2s was only 145/8 meters away when it disconnected and 197 meters when it reconnected.
2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Can't seem to be able to upload a video directly to this forum and I don't have a youtube channel like some of you guys.

But here's the sequence of screenshots from the screen recording playback from my PC...
2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Does anyone know what the following Error means " CURRENT REMOTE CONTROLLER MODE INCOMPATIBLE WITH CONNECTED AIRCRAFT MODEL. TO ENSURE FLIGHT SAFETY, SWITCH REMOTE CONTROLLER MODE" ??
2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Would be nice to get a reply from DJI on my first post and question above, on how to correctly update battery firmware....
2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Hopefully this will work I've set up a dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qva16t ... ler%20Fail.mp4?dl=0
2021-12-19
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Eoin 2021 Posted at 12-19 05:21
Hopefully this will work I've set up a dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qva16tyvq7e3dtf/Smart%20Controller%20Fail.mp4?dl=0

Hello Eoin

Upload your Flightlog to - https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link here
More information which could help can be found in the log
2021-12-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How was your life endangered?
What do you have the fail-safe response set to?
2021-12-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

When there is a controller disconnect the drone goes into RTH. Don't have a cardiac event for no reason.
2021-12-19
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-19 06:32
How was your life endangered?
What do you have the fail-safe response set to?

"Life endangered" is a figure of speech

and my fail safe or RTH is normally set as Return to Home at 100m ALT and no Hovering just plain RTH with ByPass.

Only thing and why I got such a fright was my Drone didn't carry out its normal RTH when signal was lost it kept travelling as have a look at the video again... I lost signal at 145m distance, it disconnected at 148m distance...BUT when it reconnected with the "New Controller" distance was 195m or so.

2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-19 07:10
When there is a controller disconnect the drone goes into RTH. Don't have a cardiac event for no reason.

Yeah thanks for that and I agree I have experienced the weak signal and loss of RC connection at approx. 1,200m distance and normally my Air2s will carry out its RTH and I can reacquire signal and RC control around 1,000m and stop the automatic RTH and carry on as normal.

But this latest disconnection and complete loss of control without the automatic RTH was a bit unnerving.

Never came across the "New Controller" error in any of my research or on any YouTube videos yet!
To be honest I didn't realise their was two "Controllers" within the SC Hardware Software configuration.

AS DJI didn't reply here again unfortunately I sent an email with the screen recording for their response.
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Pleomax Posted at 12-19 05:47
Hello Eoin

Many thanks for that I will have a look at it
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Pleomax Posted at 12-19 05:47
Hello Eoin

Ok had a read of the link you shared and a serious many thanks for that Pleomax

Might take my little aging head bit more reading to process because while it appears from your link there are very easy reading and understandable instructions to follow (for someone like me (: to follow). However, my SC's flight data logs are recorded as .DAT files and within your link  "....Note: This log viewer is not able to process DAT flight logs. Most DAT files can be read with DatCon....  "

and  then according to the DatCon link that "...Note: The onboard .DAT for the Mavic Air, Mavic 2, Mavic Air 2, Mavic Mini and Mavic Mini 2 is encrypted and can not be processed by either DatCon or CsvView. In addition, the .DAT created for the Mavic Mini 2 by the Fly App is also encrypted and can not be processed by either DatCon or CsvView...."

So it appears that my SC does have flight logs but they are stored as '.DAT' files, and I can't view them as they're encrypted??  
2021-12-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Install Airdata uav. It syncs with the Fly app. You can view the logs on the app or the website.
2021-12-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With regards to "......he video again... I lost signal at 145m distance, it disconnected at 148m distance...BUT........."  is it possible that what you suffered initially was a signa,l weak enough to freeze the video, but not a full blown disconnection and that whilst the drone had a weak signal it continued to fly at the commanded speed. It would take a little over 3 seconds for it to flight from 145m to 194m at 14.2m/s
Indeed, from memory, my Mavic Mini showed the same behaviour when I flew it out over the sea to disconnection i.e. a temporary screen freeze but when the screen 'de-frosted' the drone was further away and infact it then went several hundred metres further away before it did fully disconnect.

With regards to flight logs there are two types, the txt's which likely have names along the lines of "DJIFlightRecord_2021-08-09_[14-42-43].txt" these are the ones you seek. The others are DAT's which as you found are unprocessable.
Can you post here the path (the chain of folders ) to the DAT's that you found.  
I think there are a number of threads on here or the forum MavicPilots which give the path to the flightlogs in the Smart Controller.
Incidentally if the DAT's you found where in a folder called "MCDatFlightRecords" it would be unusual for there to be no "DJIFlightRecord_2021-08-09_[14-42-43].txt" type logs in the folder that held MCDatFlightRecords.

You might like to have a look at the thread https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ge-location.117729/ and the posts by eEridani and Zbip57

2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-20 06:24
With regards to "......he video again... I lost signal at 145m distance, it disconnected at 148m distance...BUT........."  is it possible that what you suffered initially was a signa,l weak enough to freeze the video, but not a full blown disconnection and that whilst the drone had a weak signal it continued to fly at the commanded speed. It would take a little over 3 seconds for it to flight from 145m to 194m at 14.2m/s
Indeed, from memory, my Mavic Mini showed the same behaviour when I flew it out over the sea to disconnection i.e. a temporary screen freeze but when the screen 'de-frosted' the drone was further away and infact it then went several hundred metres further away before it did fully disconnect.

Many thanks for the detailed explanation Sean-bumble-bee

"......but not a full blown disconnection..." I had thought I had a full blown disconnection and had to re-watch my video again https://www.dropbox.com/s/qva16t ... ler%20Fail.mp4?dl=0 and sure enough whilst there was a complete RC loss it wasn't for long and your analysis does have merit and does make complete logical sense to me too. I sent off another email to DJI asking what the Error "..Current Controller Incompatible with Current Aircraft.." means. And sure enough as you say the controller had connection whilst it was doing the switching of controllers.

Again the SC "disconnection" and "switching of controllers" doesn't make any sense to me as I use the SC and its the only method I have to communicate or fly my Air2s??? I bought the SC flymore combo.
So within the SC software there are 2 (or more) controllers?? and sorry for the ignorance here guy's again this doesn't make any sense to me, why would there be 2 or more operating systems in a dedicated one time use unit??

And for anyone else reading this post yeah sure enough I found the flight logs and again thanks for that Sean-bumble-bee, and this is their path in my SC ... and as I use an SD card as the main storage record. I don't need to connect my SC to access files just connect the SD to my PC... USBDrive**\Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord\MCDatFlightRecords

Now the .txt files are located in the 2nd last folder (FlightRecord) and the .DAT files are located in the last folder (MCDatFlightRecords).
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

ah the penny dropped ...oops...sorry for my ignorance it just dawned on me why there would be 2 or more controllers within the SC .

The SC has the capability to connect to several drones and this is done in the Aircraft Management screen  
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-20 06:20
Install Airdata uav. It syncs with the Fly app. You can view the logs on the app or the website.

will have a look at that
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Sincerely grateful too here everyone for chiming in and giving advice many thanks.

Another question here and apologies if it sounds stupid as I'm a newbie. But why would ye look at flight logs? and what can be learned from them?

Ha I've a hard enough time just trying to remember where stuff is and how to just enjoy flying my drone. Pity there are so many complications and conflicting issues people experience as we all bought and are using the same technology, I guess it Kinda sounds stupid to me a non IT guy.
2021-12-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Eoin 2021 Posted at 12-20 09:12
Sincerely grateful too here everyone for chiming in and giving advice many thanks.

Another question here and apologies if it sounds stupid as I'm a newbie. But why would ye look at flight logs? and what can be learned from them?

Mainly when something goes wrong on a flight. The logs will show ALL the telemetry with time stamps. There is a ton of information to be learned, if you need it.
2021-12-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For me looking at logs started as a way to keep track of battery usage and performance. The logs normally record battery serial numbers automatically as well as flight time, charge used, production date etc etc.
The logs are the basis for the flight replays available in the app.

BUT their real value is in analysing problems and in some cases showing why drones crashed or were lost, much as they are used in accidents with manned aircraft.
If you really want to see what logs can do there are some good analysts on here or on MacicPilots, browse threads concerning lost and or crashed drones, it's impressive what some of these people can pull out of a log.
txt flightlogs, in general, contain information about the flight, heights, speeds, distance, location, stick inputs, pitch and tilt etc..
DAT's tend to contain more technical details about how the drone is responding, earlier app verisons and drones created readable* DAT's either on the drone ( Phantom 3) etc. or on the phone (Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic Mini ) which included records of the motor speeds, the latter was useful in diagnosing propellor blade deformation in the Mavic Mini.

* when processed by the likes of CsvView and or DatCon.

You might in a separate thread post how you set the controller up to write the logs to the memory card, I dare say there will be people who would be grateful for that information, it may get lost in this thread.

With regards to the drone ''switching'', I would be surprised if the controller started the wrong app for the drone, I may be wrong but I would be surprised.

I have Go, Go 4 and FLY on several phones. It is my recollection that even when I have, say Go4, up and running (wrong screen icon touch etc.) and then connect the phone to a Mavic Mini or a Mini2, the 'phone' starts, and takes me to, the FLY app. I am left wondering if your controller actually switched from 2.7Ghz to 5.whatever GHz or vice versa but others may be able to say if that is what happened, I am just speculating.

2021-12-20
Use props
Wavicle
lvl.3
United States

Eoin 2021 Posted at 12-19 02:36
Oh can't seem to upload a video only a picture, sorry for the stupid question can we not upload a video directly from our PC to this forum? This is the screenshot of the screen recording, the SC completely disconnected from the Air2s mid flight??
[view_image]

I have the same combination and had this happen once in about 50 flights. When it happened, there were large high power transmission lines between me with the SC and the Air 2S out over a farm field. The distance between the SC and Air 2S was about 2,500 ft.  I thought it would default to "return to home" but instead re-connected after less than 10 seconds and I flew it safely back.

I take care to make certain the SC antennas have the optimum positioning and other than possible electromagnetic inference from the power lines I have no explanation how or why this happened when I routinely fly a mile or more between the two devices (over open farm land).
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Wavicle Posted at 12-20 11:33
I have the same combination and had this happen once in about 50 flights. When it happened, there were large high power transmission lines between me with the SC and the Air 2S out over a farm field. The distance between the SC and Air 2S was about 2,500 ft.  I thought it would default to "return to home" but instead re-connected after less than 10 seconds and I flew it safely back.

I take care to make certain the SC antennas have the optimum positioning and other than possible electromagnetic inference from the power lines I have no explanation how or why this happened when I routinely fly a mile or more between the two devices (over open farm land).

Ironically where it happened is the same place I often fly. No power lines and an open tidal estuary. And yup I've seen enough videos on facing the flats of the antenna's at the Drones position.

I guess weird and another anomaly that seems to be an occupational hazard of these expensive toys...  
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-20 11:03
For me looking at logs started as a way to keep track of battery usage and performance. The logs normally record battery serial numbers automatically as well as flight time, charge used, production date etc etc.
The logs are the basis for the flight replays available in the app.

re the files and logs been written to the SD card.

All I did was insert it into the Smart Controller and a little pop up asks me do "I want to use SD card as data storage instead of Internal Storage" and I select yes and that's it.

Ha unfortunately I'm no I.T. guru... I wish as I see some of ye have fantastic range with some tweaking. But alas I haven't acquired those talents....................Yet...................
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-20 10:37
Mainly when something goes wrong on a flight. The logs will show ALL the telemetry with time stamps. There is a ton of information to be learned, if you need it.

Thanks again and definitely something to look into in the new year.

As a few of ye have said here and thanks again, there seems to be loads of information I have yet to learn and discover.  
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

I think I may have accidently found the answer to my initial post lads, and thanks DJI for replying in this thread when I asked in my first post ye were SO helpful again when someone was in trouble

I had charged my batteries individually from the charger as opposed to the Combo hub that came with my package. That didn't solve the battery firmware update as they still seemed to have different issues with each battery in flight. But one of my batteries did seem to behave better and have no SC screen video lags.

So for anyone else reading here and with the SC and unsure of Battery Firmware updates or not....
I bit the bullet despite swearing to myself I'd never update my SC or Air2s again after the October update fiasco I had, but I updated to the latest Firmware. But this time I tried something new, after the download and installation of the firmware. I went into the ABOUT tab in the SC Fly app, and sure enough the latest firmware version is displayed. So I pressed update and sure enough the popup told me latest firmware installed. But this time I then powered it down and swapped batteries and repeated the steps above but when pressing check for updates in the ABOUT tab the pop up tells me my aircraft requires updating. so I select that and a new pop up tells me 74% updated and then goes through the process of updating to 100%. So powering down again I swap batteries to the third and final in my combo set and repeat the above. And sure enough selecting the check for updates. it tells me again my aircraft requires updating.....which I did

So am I correct here guy's in thinking that this process updated my batteries firmware, and I should repeat these steps anytime I update the Air2s firmware?

2021-12-20
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

Eoin 2021 Posted at 12-20 14:54
I think I may have accidently found the answer to my initial post lads, and thanks DJI for replying in this thread when I asked in my first post ye were SO helpful again when someone was in trouble

I had charged my batteries individually from the charger as opposed to the Combo hub that came with my package. That didn't solve the battery firmware update as they still seemed to have different issues with each battery in flight. But one of my batteries did seem to behave better and have no SC screen video lags.

Yes, and yes.  Anytime you update the drone's firmware it should update the installed battery as well, then on subsequent updates it updates the installed battery, etc.  That's why the subsequent updates go faster.....it is just updating the battery.
2021-12-20
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

dr6583 Posted at 12-20 15:23
Yes, and yes.  Anytime you update the drone's firmware it should update the installed battery as well, then on subsequent updates it updates the installed battery, etc.  That's why the subsequent updates go faster.....it is just updating the battery.

Many thanks
2021-12-21
Use props
Eric L
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2429659 ft
United States

Eoin 2021 Posted at 12-20 09:12

The flight logs is kinda like the black box on airliners. It provides all the data and information needed for investigation & debugging. Rather than a few words and a couple of screenshots, it provide much more information from different angles. It definitely helps people to understand the context and the course of incident better
2021-12-21
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Yeah was watching a few very interesting videos on Air2s Flight logs on Youtube.

Fascinating the information stored; from Drone elevation, distance travelled after each turn or number of times and amount of force applied to the control joy sticks, any and all errors and or screen logged texts, complete flight path which can be overlaid onto a Google Earth map internal IMU wind strength and or variations, amongst everything else to do with any flight telemetry, including a crap load of info on the batteries. that in itself seems like a serious piece of information for us to know as in the variation or deviation between our battery cells.  Important for our battery maintanence and the longevity and safety of our drones. As I guess its vital for us to know when a battery is near its end which in my case would mean loss of drone inflight as most of my flights are over open water seascapes.
2021-12-21
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

And an update on the error and my initial post in this thread.

I updated to the latest firmware and updated all battery firmwares. Took a test flight today and tested all three batteries and it appears that i now only have a minium video lag more of a nuisance really but nothing like it was and it's livable with if it remains and doesn't get worse again.

BUT the best thing I noticed more importantly was today was the first time flying in my regular area and reached a max distance of 1,480m with all three batteries without loosing RC. That in it's self is flippin fantastic, as it's the first time since I bought the Air2s start of September that I have achieved that in my CE area of Ireland.

I wonder if that had anything to do with me sending my SC off to DJI for repairs last month, either way I don't care as today was the first time I had three all but perfect flights.

Will have more time over the holidays to test everything and all the functions because all I did today was enjoy my three flights
2021-12-21
Use props
Dong ZeYuan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 57060 ft
United States

This is very interesting
2021-12-21
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Ireland

Final Update to finish this issue.
As ye know I sent the SC off to DJI because they told me I had a Transmission Problem after they viewed my Screen recorded awful video lags.

While in repairs DJI informed me Transmission tested ok and they were returning my SC and if the issue persisted to send both my Air2s and SC back to them. But I was to update all my firmware to the latest.
So after receiving my SC back I did a test flight and was surprised that I got the furthermost distance I ever flew and had no serious video lag worth complaining about.
But as the makers man had made a suggestion and if I had issues going forward without updating firmware I felt I would be left in limbo.
So while I never wanted to update any firmware after the last fiasco I had, I still had to follow the repairer's instructions and update all firmware and battery firmware's.  
I now can get repeated consistent 1.5KM distance flights in the same area where I regularly lost RC from anywhere between 800m to 1,200m flight distance
So it's either the fixing of the transmission issue that DJI didn't do, or the updating of the firmware but either way I don't mind as I seem to have no transmission issues.

Flew over the holidays with repeated long 1.5KM distance flights without video lags Happy Days ahead

EDIT: Happy with the transmission as I said, but my SC can't connect to my PC anymore either from the Firmware Update or the DJI Repairs.....oops DJI, not again...!!
2021-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules