603 16 2021-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Webevision
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5906043 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is anyone else finding the ProRes file size far too big?
I'm sure it's fine for top end features, but for bog standand TV broadcast and low end drama its way too large. I was talking to someone who does a bit for BBC Natural History unit using the Inspire 2 with ProRes, and even they found the file sizes too hefty and took up too much space and processing power.  
Hopefully if the DJI boffins are monitoring this, can you add the LT version on the next update please?

Other than than simply amazed at the quality of the images from such a lightweight, compact drone.   

Cheers

Phil
2021-12-19
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you think ProRes is too large then it's probably not for you. It's large because it contains the colour detail and dynamic range that the editors need.

The Mavic 3 can film h265 D-Log which will be satisfactory for TV broadcast and low end drama. I know because I've shot for both in this on the Mavic 2. I've even filmed for Nat Geo in h.265, so it's not just the low end stuff which it can be used on.

If you think ProRes is large and cumbersome, you should have a look at filming in RAW on the Inspire 2.
2021-12-19
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ProRes is an option not a must!  

You have the choice of the other codecs on board ...
2021-12-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

how big are we talking; filesize?

for the cine, can you opt for some other type of video file?
2021-12-19
Use props
Webevision
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes I understand there are other codec other than ProRes, it was more a nudge to DJI to say it would be handy if they made the LT version as an available option. The thing I didn't mention was I'm shooting 50p which obviously doesn't help!

Yes aware of the better colourimetric data which you get with ProRes, and  would prefer to shoot with it rather than .H265, which although offers some great compression, it can be prone to image bleed with fast movement. This guy highlights in his YT video - - jump to 9.48 he shows the bleed in action, which I hadn't fully appreciated before.

In effect I'm being greedy, I want my high res video cake with a scoop of cream alongside without killer fat data calories which come with it.... I live hope!

2021-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Webevision Posted at 12-19 12:40
Yes I understand there are other codec other than ProRes, it was more a nudge to DJI to say it would be handy if they made the LT version as an available option. The thing I didn't mention was I'm shooting 50p which obviously doesn't help!

Yes aware of the better colourimetric data which you get with ProRes, and  would prefer to shoot with it rather than .H265, which although offers some great compression, it can be prone to image bleed with fast movement. This guy highlights in his YT video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nne0ddaQa7M - jump to 9.48 he shows the bleed in action, which I hadn't fully appreciated before.

When you pay a premium you’re entitled to ask for improvements that will help all of us including DJI .
2021-12-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes aware of the better colourimetric data which you get with ProRes, and  would prefer to shoot with it rather than .H265, which although offers some great compression, it can be prone to image bleed with fast movement. This guy highlights in his YT video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nne0ddaQa7M - jump to 9.48 he shows the bleed in action, which I hadn't fully appreciated before.

The sample at 9:48 is not 'bleed', that's his odd term for it, it is actually motion blur. And as such, there it a use for motion blur. This guy is no expert.
2021-12-19
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes aware of the better colourimetric data which you get with ProRes, and  would prefer to shoot with it rather than .H265, which although offers some great compression, it can be prone to image bleed with fast movement. This guy highlights in his YT video - - jump to 9.48 he shows the bleed in action, which I hadn't fully appreciated before.

Ha, I've just realised I know you. We briefly met in the summer.

Thought I recognised your company name!
2021-12-19
Use props
Webevision
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ha ! Yes, I'll post you off forum.
2021-12-19
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The issue is there are no prores options. It basically offers the highest quality option without offering the lighter versions of Prores. I'm not sure on the tech side of things but I would imagine it is something they could implement in the future with an update.
2021-12-19
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

itsdavesdrone Posted at 12-19 13:19
The issue is there are no prores options. It basically offers the highest quality option without offering the lighter versions of Prores. I'm not sure on the tech side of things but I would imagine it is something they could implement in the future with an update.

The ProRes just doesn't seem to be that good for the bitrate though, so I'd be really cautious to use any lite version if it was offered. In my tests it was nearly unusable at ISO 800, the shadows were so noisy.
2021-12-19
Use props
erikjsschneider
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22513 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used ISO 400 and 800 in d log prores and it was very usable. Also, if filming at night with it, noise reduction is just something you have to be accustomed to. Any of my actual cameras will need the same treatment. Also, prores is indeed a large file size. But it's so easy to work with that I'll deal with the size lol.
2021-12-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Phil. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI Department for attention. Thank you and have a nice day.
2021-12-20
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Huh. The clips with colour bleeding that Potato Jet demonstrated are the h.264 clips. He was indeed hoping that h.265 was less prone to that type of artefact, which is likely.
2021-12-20
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 12-19 13:03
The sample at 9:48 is not 'bleed', that's his odd term for it, it is actually motion blur. And as such, there it a use for motion blur. This guy is no expert.

I think you may be looking at something different. The colour bleed that potato jet refers to is like this:

Clearly the motion blur is about 100mm long around the bike forks. The colours of the red fork hardware and blue bag are gently smeared over to the right of the bike, by a good metre or so.
2021-12-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is too big for most applications indeed.
But surely nice to have if you must.
2021-12-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hopefully they will add some more options in the future.
2021-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules