8014 17 2021-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shashank_Mishra
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6316 ft
Germany

Halo,
I am traveling by Ryan air from Frankfurt to Italy. I would like to know can I carry my Mavic mini in cabin luggage.
As per airline guidelines, the drone battery should be less than 160Wh which I think is the case with mini.
But I don't see any information apart from 2400v on the controller.

Does anyone here have any experience in this regard?
It would be really helpful for my coming trip.
2021-12-20
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

carry on is fine. They might wanna inspect your batteries to make sure the Wh is right though.
2021-12-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Would it not be better to ask Ryan air, their aircraft their rules.
2021-12-20
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Mavic Mini aircraft batteries are 17.28Wh (2400mAh 7.2V), the Watt Hour number is printed in very tiny characters on the back.
Remote batteries are 9.36Wh (2600mAh 3.6V), no Watt Hour marking but there is capacity and voltage (you multiply them and you have Wh).
Both are well below the 160Wh limit, you can carry them safely on a plane. As for any lithium battery, you can ONLY carry them in the cabin, they cannot go in the hold.
2021-12-20
Use props
Shashank_Mishra
lvl.1
Germany

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-20 07:17
Would it not be better to ask Ryan air, their aircraft their rules.

I asked airline but they just reply whatever mentioned on their website. If batteries are below 160Wh it will be allowed.
I am pretty sure others might have faced this situation so I asked here.
2021-12-20
Use props
Shashank_Mishra
lvl.1
Germany

120ccpm Posted at 12-20 10:11
Mavic Mini aircraft batteries are 17.28Wh (2400mAh 7.2V), the Watt Hour number is printed in very tiny characters on the back.
Remote batteries are 9.36Wh (2600mAh 3.6V), no Watt Hour marking but there is capacity and voltage (you multiply them and you have Wh).
Both are well below the 160Wh limit, you can carry them safely on a plane. As for any lithium battery, you can ONLY carry them in the cabin, they cannot go in the hold.

2021-12-20
Use props
Shashank_Mishra
lvl.1
Germany

Guorium Posted at 12-20 06:15
carry on is fine. They might wanna inspect your batteries to make sure the Wh is right though.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any experience taking drone in cabin luggage.
2021-12-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Shashank_Mishra Posted at 12-20 10:31

Thousands of people do.
People fly with drones every day with no problem.
2021-12-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Shashank_Mishra. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who visited Italy can give out there experiences in bringing there DJI drones. For reference, kindly please read through your airline's battery transportation regulations when traveling with LiPo batteries and I will post a link where in you can learn about regulations for your specific airline ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/airlines ). Thank you and please stay safe always.
2021-12-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It should be ok as a carry-on. But since it is international travel, it may get complicated. I suggest being ready with a plan B if they refuse you, but they probably will not. Sorry, I have no experience with your specific situation.
2021-12-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flown Ryan Air many times with my drone in my carry on,  no issues at all, Ryan Air wont even know you have it.     Also never had an issue with airport security checks,  I guess they are so used to seeing them.
2021-12-20
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Shashank_Mishra Posted at 12-20 10:31

Yeah cabin luggage is not a problem. I took it through international and domestic flights. Security may check your battery by inspecting the stickers on them and hopefully they will not thrash your drone in the process... I had one thrashing my things and one asked me nicely to show him. Definitely do not put in your check-in bag as it may be depressurized and burst... You have to agree and sign a declaration to announce you have no Lithium batteries in the check-in bags anyway by buying the ticket and boarding with it.
2021-12-21
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-20 20:12
It should be ok as a carry-on. But since it is international travel, it may get complicated. I suggest being ready with a plan B if they refuse you, but they probably will not. Sorry, I have no experience with your specific situation.

To my knowledge, there is nothing complicated about flying internationally with drones. I flew across US and Europe (including Germany and Italy) with my Mini and never had a single issue. Thinking about it, I was never even asked to take it out of its case!

The only potential problem with international travel is about drone regulations in the destination country, but it has nothing to do with the actual air travel.
2021-12-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

120ccpm Posted at 12-21 10:33
To my knowledge, there is nothing complicated about flying internationally with drones. I flew across US and Europe (including Germany and Italy) with my Mini and never had a single issue. Thinking about it, I was never even asked to take it out of its case!

The only potential problem with international travel is about drone regulations in the destination country, but it has nothing to do with the actual air travel.

Ok then. So he should just go with plan A and not bother to plan otherwise? Will you guarantee that for him? I traveled to nearby Jamaica once many years ago. Everyone said it was easy and they just took anything they wanted. I got examined  and questioned for over an hour on arrival.... just because I brought TWO cameras. What has worked for you in the past may mean nothing today.
2021-12-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-21 20:20
Ok then. So he should just go with plan A and not bother to plan otherwise? Will you guarantee that for him? I traveled to nearby Jamaica once many years ago. Everyone said it was easy and they just took anything they wanted. I got examined  and questioned for over an hour on arrival.... just because I brought TWO cameras. What has worked for you in the past may mean nothing today.
I traveled to nearby Jamaica once many years ago.
Who was the pilot ... Wilbur or Orville?

Hundreds of people fly each day with their drones.
It's no more complicated than taking a camera or laptop, except that as already explained above, the batteries have to be in carry-on luggage.
2021-12-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-21 21:12
I traveled to nearby Jamaica once many years ago.
Who was the pilot ... Wilbur or Orville?

"Who was the pilot ... Wilbur or Orville?"

Neither. It was Icarus, so no wonder the problems ;-)
2021-12-21
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-21 20:20

I got examined  and questioned for over an hour on arrival....
Nothing to do with the cameras, you simply look very suspicious and up to no good...
2021-12-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

120ccpm Posted at 12-22 09:35
I got examined  and questioned for over an hour on arrival....
Nothing to do with the cameras, you simply look very suspicious and up to no good...

Pretty sure you are right. But they did ask a lot of questions about the cameras, like real details. What is the make and model of each, what kind of film do you use, how old are they, why do you have more than one, etc. It was a crime to "smuggle" goods like cameras into that country.
2021-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules