4380 20 2021-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5076896 ft
  • >>>
United States

My prop guards got stuck in a tree on take off,  (DON'T USE THEM!) .  I was able to get it lose, it fell perhaps 15' landing on grass and fractured like a piece of glass, even with the prop guards on.   Looking at how it's made it's no surprise, just thin plastic (no carbon fiber) holding the arms on, and  to fix it looks like a complete teardown and rebuild.  Certainly my Protek35 wouldn't have had a problem (but it developed hardware issues).  I've flow Mavics for years and doubt they'd have broken.  .   So to send it in, with the refresh (the 2nd time and I've only been able to use it 5 times)  is $279.    I don't think this a practical FPV drone.  I'll sell it and get out.  I can see why so many FPV pilots build their own with a sturdy carbon fiber frame.  Crashes are inevitable.

DJI FPV BrokenArm 2.jpg
DJI FPV  1.jpg
2021-12-22
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
United States

That sucks sorry for your loss.
2021-12-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there BarnSwallow. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI FPV, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2021-12-22
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2832844 ft
Italy

Hello !!

I'm really sorry for what happened to you it's a real damage !!

Unfortunately the DJI FPV is a very delicate drone and as you said for sure accidents can happen and sometimes they are inevitable.

I have been building my FPV builds for 5 years now .... the greatest damage is losing or not recovering the drone ... little time and with a few euros.
2021-12-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ouch, that is sad to see.
2021-12-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to see that damage.  This is exactly why I build my own FPVs.  I really prefer the size of the cinewhoops.  
2021-12-23
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Crashes are NOT inevitable. You made mistakes that cost you, that's not the drone's fault. I have been using mine to shoot every weekend since it came out and I haven't crashed it. You have stuffed it twice but you are blaming the product to not survive your bad flying. Here are some tips for you. 1. To not crash, don't hit stuff. 2. To not hit stuff, don't fly too close to stuff.
2021-12-23
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

KerryG Posted at 12-23 05:33
Crashes are NOT inevitable. You made mistakes that cost you, that's not the drone's fault. I have been using mine to shoot every weekend since it came out and I haven't crashed it. You have stuffed it twice but you are blaming the product to not survive your bad flying. Here are some tips for you. 1. To not crash, don't hit stuff. 2. To not hit stuff, don't fly too close to stuff.

Bunk.    No carbon fiber drone would have broke , and flying close to stuff is the point of FPV.
2021-12-23
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-22 20:17
Hello there BarnSwallow. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI FPV, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

I did,  I'll see what they'll give me to get out of it, I'll keep the goggles.   
2021-12-23
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-23 04:03
Sorry to see that damage.  This is exactly why I build my own FPVs.  I really prefer the size of the cinewhoops.

My conclusion as well.   I'm looking at this:  XILO 5" Freestyle Beginner Drone Bundle - Joshua Bardwell Edition   Got a better idea?    There's no way around understanding the electronic components, because they all break and you need to be able to understand it, and fix it.      There are no shortcuts.
2021-12-23
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 12-22 21:35
Hello !!

I'm really sorry for what happened to you it's a real damage !!

There's a reason every serious FPV pilot builds their own,and I finally learned it.   With a $270 a refresh and such a delicate drone, I'm sorry, it just doesn't make sense.
2021-12-23
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

One positive, in my attempt to break into FPV,  , is my time spent on Liftoff has gotten me much better  at flying FPV.    I've been playing with my Mini 2 with control sensitivity turned up and flying in FPV I'm having a blast.  It's 4K, and the refresh is only $70.   Since I want to do flying through trees in the mountains, not racing, it's really what I'm after.  I won't be going 90 mph , but it's not necessary.    It's so compact and light,  it's ideal to take hiking.    Can't say I was looking forward to hauling the DJI FPV on a 10 mi hike up the mtns in Colorado at 10,000 - 12,000 ft.

2021-12-23
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

KerryG Posted at 12-23 05:33

Hello !!

You can see that you don't know anything about real FPV flight !! If you make the Sunday cruise flight at 50 meters it is clear that giving in and breaking is practically impossible .... but never say never !!

If you start looking for more proximity and aerobatic flight in manual acro mode then the chances of hitting and falling into something are always around the corner.

And if you want to fly with an FPV drone with the tranquility with which you use a Mavic then in my opinion you have the wrong drone.

The fact that the DJI FPV is a delicate drone to be an FPV is a fact !!

Then we can discuss its use in relation to the type of drone it really is .... a cruise FPV dorne and not a freestyle one.

If you were flying true freestyle then you would understand what I'm talking about.
2021-12-24
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I would never fly the drone without the arm braces (should be standard)  which I had purchased, but you can't put both the prop guards, and the braces on, or I would have done it.     Talked to DJI Support they were very helpful.
2021-12-24
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 12-24 00:31
Hello !!

You can see that you don't know anything about real FPV flight !! If you make the Sunday cruise flight at 50 meters it is clear that giving in and breaking is practically impossible .... but never say never !!

It's beautiful when it flies, but it's clearly not built for true FPV pilots.     Shame everything else is so well done, and the body is so flimsy.  Why did they do it?  To save weight?
2021-12-24
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

Hello !!

It is a beautiful drone but very particular and unfortunately delicate.

I think it was made of plastic because having that shape in carbon its weight would have been absurd !!

The DJI FPV should be taken for what is an FPV drone for quiet flight and cruise.

To do another type of flight you have to go two drones with a carbon frame there is little to do ...
2021-12-24
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 12-24 22:33
Hello !!

It is a beautiful drone but very particular and unfortunately delicate.

"Max Pain" is what my attempts to break into FPV has amounted to.   When does the fun start?    You have to have a high tolerance for hardship in this game.
2021-12-25
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

Hello !!

Merry Christmas !!

Unfortunately, the learning curve for FPV flying is quite tough for many .... if you don't give up the satisfaction and fun of flying will come.

One thing you need to understand is that in FPV flight you can't improvise ..... but you have to study and know how things work .... so you can limit the damage.

I understand that sometimes the initial frustration is really great but unfortunately it is.
2021-12-25
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 12-25 10:50
Hello !!

Merry Christmas !!

I'm looking right now at how to diagnose boards for failures.   Seems a critical skill.   Thanks for your interest.

2021-12-25
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

BarnSwallow Posted at 12-23 07:38
Bunk.    No carbon fiber drone would have broke , and flying close to stuff is the point of FPV.

YOU crashed and you are blaming the drone for being fragile. What a joke. The "point" of FPV is not flying close to stuff at all, its about the perspective when flying. YOU choose how to fly it, and your poor skills put it into a tree. Own up a little and have some accountability for your actions.
2021-12-27
Use props
fansf0572733
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2098566 ft
United States

KerryG Posted at 12-27 06:56
YOU crashed and you are blaming the drone for being fragile. What a joke. The "point" of FPV is not flying close to stuff at all, its about the perspective when flying. YOU choose how to fly it, and your poor skills put it into a tree. Own up a little and have some accountability for your actions.

Agreed. Well said.
OP, Dont blame the drone when the crash was as a result of user error. Carbon material or not the drone would sustain some damage if dropped from 15ft height due to its weight.
2021-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules