Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Weird behavior after RTH
692 25 2021-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_S0VJAtwTBQUQ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34941 ft
Finland

After RTH the drone started to behave weirdly. It gained altitude way over the set RTH height...
Wind was not the issue. Max 6/ms gusts.
When i got a hold of it the returning speed was really slow.
It was -10c outside and minimum battery temp was 21c (max battery was 42c). So pretty optimal.
Airdata app: "not enough force/ESC error" started appearing at 9m52s time.
As you can see on the video, it was like an invisibe barrier near the island.

2021-12-23
Use props
HighInBC
lvl.2
Philippines

Strange. At about 3 minutes the video looks like you are descending but your altitude reading is going up. Not an expert but perhaps erroneous sensor data was causing some kind of failsafe to prevent you from moving forward.
2021-12-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Post flight data and it might help to find the explanation for the incident.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It has instructions to find the .txt file from your phone or tablet which you can upload to that site
Upload it and it gives you a summary of the flight data.
Post a link to that summary.

Or just post the .txt file

2021-12-23
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Barely made it back! It looks like the wind was very strong at that altitude and location. Once you reduced altitude after the l;ast warning, things went better. Of course the log would be helpful. As to why it increased altutude, perhaps there was a strong updraft behind the island, just a wild guess though.
2021-12-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Purely speculation and ive had it happen to me ableit it was foggy and +/-0C in my situation, there is prop icing to consider here considering the temps were so low, that could account for any lift/not enough force issues
2021-12-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-23 19:58
Barely made it back! It looks like the wind was very strong at that altitude and location. Once you reduced altitude after the l;ast warning, things went better. Of course the log would be helpful. As to why it increased altutude, perhaps there was a strong updraft behind the island, just a wild guess though.

As to why it increased altutude, perhaps there was a strong updraft behind the island, just a wild guess though.
Yes ... that's a wild guess.
If an updraft caused that, it's a very strange phenomenon and the first time such a thing has been observed affecting a drone.
The actual cause will be something else and possibly found when/if the OP posts flight data.
2021-12-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Never had this on my M2.
2021-12-24
Use props
djiuser_S0VJAtwTBQUQ
lvl.3
Finland

Here are few screenshots of the log.
Battery voltages seem to fluctuate

2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
2021-12-24
Use props
djiuser_S0VJAtwTBQUQ
lvl.3
Finland

Bashy Posted at 12-23 20:12
Purely speculation and ive had it happen to me ableit it was foggy and +/-0C in my situation, there is prop icing to consider here considering the temps were so low, that could account for any lift/not enough force issues

No icing or frost buildup when the drone got home.
2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What has been requested is the actual log, not snippets from it. You would do better to post the link to what looks like the output of PhantomHelps log viewer.
2021-12-24
Use props
Sakari Kaulaote
lvl.3
Finland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-24 02:00
What has been requested is the actual log, not snippets from it. You would do better to post the link to what looks like the output of PhantomHelps log viewer.

Is there a way to do this without the google maps stuff?
For privacy reasons.
2021-12-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sakari Kaulaote Posted at 12-24 03:33
Is there a way to do this without the google maps stuff?
For privacy reasons.

If you want help, just post the .txt file or a link to the Phantomhelp report.
There's a lot more data there than you can see and that's what's needed to investigate the incident.
2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only way I can think of that might work is to download the csv of the flight from Phantomhelp to your computer then open the csv and manually delete the latitude and longitude etc. columns. Save the altered csv, make a copy of it and then change its extension to .txt. Then upload that .txt to here. I do not think the loss of that data will affected the usefulness of the log. I do not know if the forum will accept the altered .txt.
You could probably take out serial numbers too, I do not remember if there are place names in the csv but you'd have to scroll through the columns to check. Note lat, long, and serial numbers exist in 2 or more places so check you have removed ALL the relevant columns.
2021-12-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-24 04:48
The only way I can think of that might work is to download the csv of the flight from Phantomhelp to your computer then open the csv and manually delete the latitude and longitude etc. columns. Save the altered csv, make a copy of it and then change its extension to .txt. Then upload that .txt to here. I do not think the loss of that data will affected the usefulness of the log. I do not know if the forum will accept the altered .txt.
You could probably take out serial numbers too, I do not remember if there are place names in the csv but you'd have to scroll through the columns to check. Note lat, long, and serial numbers exist in 2 or more places so check you have removed ALL the relevant columns.

There's nothing at all in that log that's a privacy concern.
It just shows that someone flew around an island somewhere in Finland and we already know that.
If he wants help ...

2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe you think so but the OP differs, I do not post logs for the same reason. Everyone has their own opinion. Just as you were offered solutions to photo naming problems with the M3 and choose to reject them.

2021-12-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-24 05:08
Maybe you think so but the OP differs, I do not post logs for the same reason. Everyone has their own opinion. Just as you were offered solutions to photo naming problems with the M3 and choose to reject them.

That's just nonsense.
I wasn't offered a solution at all and there's no private information in that log.
If he wants help, he needs to share data.
If he isn't interested to find out what the issue was, he can keep it all secret and protect his precious imaginary privacy.

2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Perhaps you can explain how the absence of lat, long etc would affect your analysis. UNLESS there are flight restriction zones involved I don't see how their absence matters.
2021-12-24
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

Did I just see that Mini 2 go from 40m high to 290m without stick input? If the RTH wasn't set for that, I would be very wary of flying it very far until I had completed a lot more testing at different height settings close to home points. With RTH testing a priority.
2021-12-24
Use props
Sakari Kaulaote
lvl.3
Finland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-24 05:23
Perhaps you can explain how the absence of lat, long etc would affect your analysis. UNLESS there are flight restriction zones involved I don't see how their absence matters.

Only altitude limit where i flew, no other restrictions.
Altitude limit was broken by the quad itself, not me as a pilot.
Anyhow. There is some privacy i like to keep in the interwebs... Let's leave it with that.
2021-12-24
Use props
Sakari Kaulaote
lvl.3
Finland

yogi053 Posted at 12-24 05:51
Did I just see that Mini 2 go from 40m high to 290m without stick input? If the RTH wasn't set for that, I would be very wary of flying it very far until I had completed a lot more testing at different height settings close to home points. With RTH testing a priority.

That is the most of my concerns. My pulse started to ramp up when i saw it gaining altitude itself.
I was few seconds away from aborting the flight by shutting down the motors and let it drop dead.
RTH was set at 41 meters.
2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sakari Kaulaote Posted at 12-24 08:30
That is the most of my concerns. My pulse started to ramp up when i saw it gaining altitude itself.
I was few seconds away from aborting the flight by shutting down the motors and let it drop dead.
RTH was set at 41 meters.

A few of points. 1) Is/was "41m" your normal RTH height or was that read from the downloaded csv?
If your normal then I would suggest you check the height currently set in the app. One of the things I DISLIKE about the FLY app is the slider buttons for distance and height limits. I once had an RTH climb to a similar height, when I looked at the App the RTH height it was set to something ridiculous, I would never have set it to that deliberately, the only explanation that I could come up with is that I accidentally dragged it up when I was changing another setting.
2) What was/is the maximum height setting set to, check the log and the app, from memory RTH height can exceed the maximum height setting. For the flight I mentioned I had changed the maximum height setting because I was flying the drone up and over a cliff top. I recollect trying, in later experiments, to set RTH height to more than the maximum and the app would not allow it. I also I think that if, after setting a high RTH height, I reduced the maximum height to below the RTH height the RTH height was reduced to the maximum height.
3) The manual contains the following "If the aircraft is at an altitude of 65 ft (20 m) or higher and has not yet reached the RTH altitude, the throttle stick can be moved to stop the aircraft from ascending. The aircraft will fly directly to the Home Point at its current altitude." i am not sure whether the drone complied with that as I can not make out when an RTH was initiated but I also have concerns that the weak GPS may have cancelled any ongoing RTH.
4) Unless the response to the CSC position is changed from the default of "emergency only" or something like that, it is likely that in this flight a CSC would not have stopped the motors. The setting needs to be changed to "anytime" for that to happen. BE WARNED, "anytime" is a dangerous setting, the delay period is under two seconds, as several pilots have found, to their cost.

2021-12-24
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just watched most of the video, up til the point when you gained control, what i can see is a drone out of control from the wind, granted, it doesn't explain why it gained the height it did, but watching the stick movements and the m/s and the flightpath, it all looks like a wind issue, when there was no stick input, the drone was moved backwards and upwards, looking at the flightpath, it really does look like it was pushed backwards and only when you lowered it considerably did the drone then start to go forward, you should have put it into sports mode. You say it was only 6m/s max gusts, that would have been at 10m, it could have been considerably more higher up and the higher it went, the winder it would have become and as it was in P mode, it got blown backwards. It looks like you dont have a lot of flight time under your belt, so you made a rookie mistake from the get go and that was having the wind at your back when flying out, therefore making more difficult on the homeward journey because you then have the wind against the drone.

As for the privacy issue, I'm not sure what the issue is, to be honest? unless you're hiding from the feds lol If you want a fully informed analysis, you have to provide the full flight log, else its all pretty much guesswork based on snippets. Follow the instructions on the phantomhelp to upload the log and if you prefer, just PM the link to either Labroides or JJB* or both then its not in the public eye and they will help you
2021-12-26
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-23 22:01
As to why it increased altutude, perhaps there was a strong updraft behind the island, just a wild guess though.
Yes ... that's a wild guess.
If an updraft caused that, it's a very strange phenomenon and the first time such a thing has been observed affecting a drone.

Glider pilots and birds use them all the time. One of the likely places to find them is over islands. The water is cold and the island is warmer = Updraft.
2021-12-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 12-26 19:49
Glider pilots and birds use them all the time. One of the likely places to find them is over islands. The water is cold and the island is warmer = Updraft.

Might be so but would they really have an effect on a drone, i cannot see it myself see as it has no large surface for the lift needed, also, the drone wasn't over the island at the time of incident, and i really don't think the island is even big enough to cause the effect needed? hey, could be wrong mind, it wouldnt be the 1st time...
2021-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-26 19:49
Glider pilots and birds use them all the time. One of the likely places to find them is over islands. The water is cold and the island is warmer = Updraft.

Updrafts are one thing, but an updraft strong enough that the drone can't maintain altitude is something else.
In 7 years of droning, I've not found any evidence of such a thing happening.
But maybe this was the first???
Without seeing the data, we'll never know.

And it's so pointless as there is no personal information in the data.

2021-12-27
Use props
Sakari Kaulaote
lvl.3
Finland

Is it the barometer freezing?
Seen few other issues lately where people have similar problems in freezing weather.

Look at the vertical speed in the video when the drone starts to climb up. Enable subtitles to see the data.
2022-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules