How do you diagnose a bad board after crashing?
769 10 2021-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5076896 ft
  • >>>
United States

On my Protek 35 the visual issues got increasingly worse.   I would lose visuals and have to disarm the moters, and it would crash. Still flyable, but it got so bad that as soon as I spun up the motors the visuals would break up.   Was it related to the crashes?  I didn't see anything wrong visually.   But wire connections breaking down?  Should I have resoldered the wires?   How do you diagnose a board to find a problem?  At least know which board?

2021-12-23
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2832844 ft
Italy

Hello !!

Dearest, maybe you haven't quite understood what it means to fly FPV with this type of drones !!

Forget the DJI world with its Mini or Mavic !!

The world of flying with BNF builds or drones is a constant breaking and fixing !!

If you fall the drone takes damage and you have to evaluate that damage !!

Of course some links could be ruined by the fall.

The good FPV pilot always has the welder in hand!

This concept must be understood immediately and if it is accepted then you will be able to enjoy this type of flight .... otherwise it will be just a bad experience for you !!
2021-12-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If the problem got worse 'after' the crash, it is most likely that that was the cause.
Lots of connections inside that can get loose.
2021-12-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've see wire disconnects following crashes in the past.  I've also seen crashes cause cracks in the electronic boards and then disconnects.  Unfortunately, after every crash you basically have to do a tear down and thorough inspection.  
2021-12-24
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 12-24 00:23
Hello !!

Dearest, maybe you haven't quite understood what it means to fly FPV with this type of drones !!

I couldn't see anything wrong visually with the camera unit, or the connections.   So in that case I guess you buy a new stack.  and start replacing board by board?   
2021-12-24
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

BarnSwallow Posted at 12-24 07:25
I couldn't see anything wrong visually with the camera unit, or the connections.   Must have been internal damage.

Impact can crack solder joints on surface mount chips quite easily if it's a big hit. Best thing for that is a hot air rework station. You can sometimes track down intermittent faults by nudging components with a stiff plastic "poker" until you find one that causes the fault. Be gentle though.
2021-12-24
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nicodema Posted at 12-24 08:20
Impact can crack solder joints on surface mount chips quite easily if it's a big hit. Best thing for that is a hot air rework station. You can sometimes track down intermittent faults by nudging components with a stiff plastic "poker" until you find one that causes the fault. Be gentle though.

This is what I was wondering, how do you diagnose a board if you don't see anything visually.  Wow.  YIHUA 948-II 4 in 1 Hot Air Rework Soldering Iron and Desoldering Suction Tin Gun Station with Suction Pick Up Pen °F /°C - - Amazon.com
2021-12-24
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I bought Bardwell drone building kit.  Figure there's no middle ground in this hobby, you're either all in as a drone builder or don't bother doing it at all.
2021-12-24
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

Hello !! Today there is a good choice in already assembled FPV drones from good brands (Flywoo, iFlight, BetaFPV) I use these drones for cinewhoop (Beta 95x V3 and Protek35) and long range (iFlight Chimera7 ") use and they are great and honestly I have never had any kind of problem ..... I must say that I have never made any crashes ..

To do freestyle I assemble my builds because I fly with Kiss firmware and Fettec hardware ... and with these components you can't find drones already made.

Honestly, if you want to enter the world of FPV flight the best thing is to slowly put your hand to the welder and Betaflight !!

The kit you got is a great kit and I recommend you to see the various tutorials of the legendary Bardwell.

FPV flight is also nice because you always have to put your hand to something.

The real flying part in the end is just the final part of a beautiful and vast hobby.
2021-12-24
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 12-24 22:31
Hello !! Today there is a good choice in already assembled FPV drones from good brands (Flywoo, iFlight, BetaFPV) I use these drones for cinewhoop (Beta 95x V3 and Protek35) and long range (iFlight Chimera7 ") use and they are great and honestly I have never had any kind of problem ..... I must say that I have never made any crashes ..

To do freestyle I assemble my builds because I fly with Kiss firmware and Fettec hardware ... and with these components you can't find drones already made.

Merry Christmas Max.   I've just seen a series of issues I couldn't solve happening almost immediately.    transmitters not charging, throttle switching to right, losing video on the protek 35 and then after finally getting the nerve  to fly the DJI FPV and immediately getting prop guards hung in a tree on takeoff falling and shattering.  Talked to DJI and they may give me a break on the refresh.     I spend a lot of time on Liftoff.   I'll eventually get there but it's been rough.   I'm trying the iFlight alpha A75 minwhoop next.    I'm thinking a carbon fiber drone that's easy to fix, that I built and somewhat understand is the way forward.  
2021-12-25
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

Hello !!

Merry Christmas !!

The way to go is that first of all in studying things because 90% of the problems are due to wrong configurations or lack of knowledge of the settings by the pilot.

And then it takes a lot of perseverance and commitment.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, FPV flight is not for everyone ...
2021-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules