Video issues/grainy
1205 11 2021-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29134 ft
United States

Hello everyone!

I purchased my first drone yesterday which is the Mini 2 and I must say I'm very impressed. I've been in the RC industry and have built helicopters and planes since 1981 so controlling RC aircraft is no new task for me. When recording video and playing it back on my computer the video has a grainy effect almost like as if there was a real fine grit sandpaper over the lens but of course the lens is clean as can be. I notice this when light levels are lower of course but in general my videos weere recorded with all setting on auto right out of the box.

I notice other videos on here during the daylight hours and the one done of the Christmas Light show with the mini 2 (don't remember the user) and it looks fantastic but mine are lower quality and look as though it's almost in a 720K kind of format.

I made sure my settings are in 4K at 30 frames which I also know they are actually 29.97. I use PowerDirector 17 when editing and keep the settingd the same as they are in the raw video when in the "Produce" mode to finalize the video. I've produced my videos using different combinations as well.... (different formats, bitrates, frames,) and even as much as dropping it down to 2K but I still have the same grainy visual in my video's.

Is it just a matter of playing around with the different ISO and shutter speed settings?... Is there something missing i need in the Power Director program that will help eliminate this grain in my vids or lesson it somehow? or should i use another video editor that's better then this one?.

I don't have a video now to show but I am in the process of making a couple new ones and will post them here. I'm just trying to get some info that may help out my next videos before flying again.

Thanks for a really nice product DJI! I really like the Mini 2 and basically got the hang of flying it really nice already after only 4 flights.

Oh and one more thing.... I have the new Android phone called the CELERO 5G and it works perfect with this drone. Just thought you might want to list that in the sections that tell you what Android phones and versions are compatible for the "DJI Fly" program.

Thank You,
~A~

2021-12-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Are you using the video from the phone or drone? The drone sends 1080p to the phone for monitoring while flying. The drone records to a small internal memory or to a micro sd if you install one. The best is recorded on the drone/micro sd. You need to transfer this file in order to do post and assemble videos.
2021-12-26
Use props
lvl.2
United States

Oh yeah sorry forgot to mention this. I'm using a SanDisk Extreme PLUS 64GB, speeds up to 170mb read and 90mb write. I hookup the drone to my computer and download from the 100 Folder in the drone where it's stored. I never use the phone and have video cache turned off in the phone. I only record pictures to my phone.

Im working on a video now.

2021-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is it just a matter of playing around with the different ISO and shutter speed settings?
You will keep grain to the minimum if you leave the camera on ISO 100.
Increasing ISO = increasing grain
2021-12-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ~A~. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a short sample video showing the said issue for us to see and can assist you further? Thank you.
2021-12-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Try 2.7K
In my experience, that works a bit better.
But you still get this noise.
That is because DJI over sharpens the footage.
I have grown to accept it, since I have no other small camera that I can fly around so easily.
2021-12-27
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Mini 1/2 videos are in general pretty noisy, even in good light conditions, but your unit might be broken. We will know if your unit is ok or not when you upload a sample video.
2021-12-27
Use props
lvl.2
United States

OK news flash!...  In the video link posted here you can see the grainy, dotted foreground in the video where the cam is pointed at the water. After that as I fly around and particularly when I'm pointing the cam at darker areas then of course it shows up more. Now this video isn't bad and for an untrained eye it probably looks like eye candy but I look for details and am an perfectionist.... not so much as some but when something gets my attention in my videos that I don't see in other videos out there supposedly using the same exact drone, cam and settings then I tend to get a little ruffled.

Here's the other thing... this video just cuts off. Well guess what? the cam stopped working all together so then i instantly stopped the flight, switch over to map view, held the altitude and flew it back then did an auto land. This footage was shot at 275-300ft or so. After further investigating when I got it back inside I set it down reinitialized it and it came back on but I got a warning error to contact support to fix a camera gimble issue and that was it... I couldn't do anymore with it and it would not allow me to even start the motors. How in the heck i was able to fly it back is a mystery. However after landing it I did turn it off so maybe then when i turned it back on then that's when everything went haywire or something. Anyway.... I was able to get this much of the video and another little clip.

So then I loaded it up and took it back and swapped it out for a new one. One thing I did notice right off is the new one I got today was packaged a bit different and some of the things in the last one were not wrapped up like this new one (the replacement) was this morning. I picked up both of these from "Best Buy" so I'm thinking my first one was a Restock from someone else before me. This one I have now was packaged differently and more secure.

So today I'll try it out after work and see how it does. I will try the setting for the ISO at 100 and play around with the Shutter Speeds when it starts to get a little darker today.

For now though:
Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAywZpri3tE&t=1s

Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5m80tsOwGA
2021-12-27
Use props
lvl.2
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5m80tsOwGA

Same link, I can't delete it. Please delete this post

2021-12-27
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

I don't see anything out of the ordinary for Mini 2. YouTube tends to remove most of the grain produced by the Mini 2 anyway.
2021-12-27
Use props
lvl.2
United States

I'm currently editing a new video using DaVinci Resolve and it looks like the final rendering might be a lot better.
It's my first real video using this program for the first time and adding some music.

Just wish I had a better looking place to capture video but this is just all practice for me right now and get better acquainted with the drone itself...
I have to set the drone controls for a lot smoother operation but all this will come after figuring it out and what works best for me.

Stay tuned for the vid.
~A~

2021-12-27
Use props
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mini 2 test video

Well I can't get the video to post here. I've tried the [ ] [/ ], removing the "s" in https and a few others. My videos post on other sites and never had  this issue. Anyway here's the link, Highlight and right click and open or copy and paste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR8cYHnOejQ
2021-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules