5656 104 2021-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1510059 ft
United States

Hello, first post here.

I have a Air 2 that's about a year old. In the past few weeks, the RTH has started to malfunction. When I hit the button, it initiates the RTH, but instead of rising to the preset hight, it keeps gaining altitude. It does this til it hits the preset overall maximum height. Then It barley moves as it's still trying to gain height.
I've tried rolling the app back to several previous versions, and it seemed to work once on 1.4.2, but now it does it on all of them I've tried. Not sure what to try next. I've calibrated everything multiplr times, tried another controller, and another phone. All the same...
2021-12-26
Use props
djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV
lvl.2
United States

Forgot to add, It actually comes to a stop when it rises, then moves forward probably about 100 feet or so, then rises again (probably in about 50 foot increments)
2021-12-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check if the firmware of your DJI Mavic Air 2 is on it latest version and may we also please know if you are receiving any error messages on the DJI Fly application when this is happening? Thank you.
2021-12-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try turning off the obstacle avoidance. It may be "seeing" something in front due to some sensors issue (fogging?).
2021-12-26
Use props
djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-26 19:42
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check if the firmware of your DJI Mavic Air 2 is on it latest version and may we also please know if you are receiving any error messages on the DJI Fly application when this is happening? Thank you.

No error messages. And I've used DJI Assistant 2 to refresh the firmware 2 or 3 times. No luck.
It's like it's going up a flight of steps. It goes up, goes forward, goes up, etc. I can get it to go down by pushing down on the stick, but as soon as I let off, it starts going up again.
All I can do is cancel the RTH. It flies pretty much normally otherwise, as far as I can tell. I tried sensor calibration through the DJI Assistant 2 this evening, but it's after 11:00 PM here now & I won't be able to test it and see if there's any change til tomorrow morning.
Thanks.
2021-12-26
Use props
djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-26 19:57
Try turning off the obstacle avoidance. It may be "seeing" something in front due to some sensors issue (fogging?).

Thanks.

I'll try that tomorrow morning. It's after 11 PM here now, and without functioning RTH, I'm definitely not attempting a night flight lol.
2021-12-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV Posted at 12-26 20:07
Thanks.

I'll try that tomorrow morning. It's after 11 PM here now, and without functioning RTH, I'm definitely not attempting a night flight lol.

Hey. I have done exactly that in almost total darkness with the MA2. It did work well.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=229937
2021-12-26
Use props
djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-26 20:09
Hey. I have done exactly that in almost total darkness with the MA2. It did work well.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=229937

Cool video, lol.

Yeah, I've been thinking about trying something like that. But not with the way it's functioning right now. The RTH is basically unusable at the moment. Once it hits the overall height limit it barely moves forward.
I do have another Air 2 that works fine, but I'm not ready to try it out at night yet. Too chicken lol

2021-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV Posted at 12-26 20:15
Cool video, lol.

Yeah, I've been thinking about trying something like that. But not with the way it's functioning right now. The RTH is basically unusable at the moment. Once it hits the overall height limit it barely moves forward.

That sounds very much like obstacle avoidance behaviour.
Post your recorded flight data and we can see if it confirms that.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It has instructions to find the .txt file from your phone or tablet which you can upload to that site
Upload it and it gives you a summary of the flight data.
Post a link to that summary.

Or just post the .txt file
2021-12-27
Use props
djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-27 01:16
That sounds very much like obstacle avoidance behaviour.
Post your recorded flight data and we can see if it confirms that.

Thanks. Here's the link
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/3VW80O4TY6QXZEPKK3DC

I initiated the RTH at 3 min. 11 sec

Here's another:   https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8N375GBT3YWX45VKPVKB
2021-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV Posted at 12-27 02:33
Thanks. Here's the link

You initiated RTH at 3:11 while the Mavic was 266 ft in the air.
It started returning normally in an easterly direction but at 3:18.5 the drone braked, pitching backwards and slowed almost to a stop.
It climbed to 287 ft and started the return again, picking up speed.
But at 3:27.4 it braked heavily, started climbing again.
This is classic obstacle avoidance behaviour, stopping when it perceives an obstacle in front and climbing to avoid it.
2021-12-27
Use props
djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-27 03:15
You initiated RTH at 3:11 while the Mavic was 266 ft in the air.
It started returning normally in an easterly direction but at 3:18.5 the drone braked, pitching backwards and slowed almost to a stop.
It climbed to 287 ft and started the return again, picking up speed.

So there's a problem with sensors? Because there was definitely no obstacle.  I have another Air 2, and have followed that same exact route and used RTH with no problems. Also, it happens no matter where I start from. I can be at 300 feet altitude, and it will still ascend after I hit RTH. The only thing that stops it is the overall height limit, or if I cancel the RTH.
To add, the drone has not been crashed or anything. Pretty sure it started after a firmware update, but I'm not positive. I wanted to try rolling back the firmware, but DJI Assitant 2 doesn't give that option, even after trying some instructions I found on line.
2021-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV Posted at 12-27 03:19
So there's a problem with sensors? Because there was definitely no obstacle.  I have another Air 2, and have followed that same exact route and used RTH with no problems. Also, it happens no matter where I start from. I can be at 300 feet altitude, and it will still ascend after I hit RTH. The only thing that stops it is the overall height limit, or if I cancel the RTH.
To add, the drone has not been crashed or anything. Pretty sure it started after a firmware update, but I'm not positive. I wanted to try rolling back the firmware, but DJI Assitant 2 doesn't give that option, even after trying some instructions I found on line.

The drone identified something as an obstacle.
The sun is a common cause of false OA behaviour.
If it wasn't flying toward a low, bright sun, you could try recalibrating the sensors.
If you don't need OA, you could just switch it off.You could
2021-12-27
Use props
djiuser_XMtI3qjx5AjV
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-27 04:49
The drone identified something as an obstacle.
The sun is a common cause of false OA behaviour.
If it wasn't flying toward a low, bright sun, you could try recalibrating the sensors.

Thanks.

Yes, I recalibrated the sensors last night. Just waiting for it to get bright enough outside to see if it helped. Still pretty early here. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try disabling sensors.
Regarding sunlight...I've tried it with no sun (cloudy day) with same results. Also flew my other Air 2 just moments later in the same area and used RTH with no problems. Worked normally.
EDIT: Unfortunately, it's pouring rain now, so it's going to be a while before I can test it out. My luck.
2021-12-27
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

I finally got in 1 flight between periods of rain. Recalibrating sensors didn't work. If anything, it's worse now. I get a beeping from my phone. No errors, just beeping.  Didn't get to try turning the sensors off...It started raining before I could try. This is driving me nuts, lol

Edit: Turning off sensors didn't work. Same deal. I'm lost. Don't know what else to try, other than rolling back the drone firmware but I can't find any way of doing it.
2021-12-27
Use props
WFisk
New

Guyana

@pagan65 Were you able to get this issue resolved?  As of this morning I'm also having the same issue. The drone wouldn't RTH, just went to max distance and stayed there.  I believe it is the sensors because i'm hearing the object sensor beeping from the remote when the drone is 100m in the air.  
2022-1-12
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

WFisk Posted at 1-12 10:30
@pagan65 Were you able to get this issue resolved?  As of this morning I'm also having the same issue. The drone wouldn't RTH, just went to max distance and stayed there.  I believe it is the sensors because i'm hearing the object sensor beeping from the remote when the drone is 100m in the air.

No, no resolution. I talked with a DJI rep on Facebook, who had me send him logs and a screen cap of the problem. He then told me that an engineer suggested that I update the firmware (which I had rolled back to previous version) and calibrate the sensors using DJI Assistant 2.
I tried this, even though I had already done this before, and it actually made it worse. Now it just goes strait up to the preset overall altitude limit, cancels the RTH, and just sits there.
I'm not happy lol
2022-1-12
Use props
WFisk
New

Guyana

pagan65 Posted at 1-12 10:37
No, no resolution. I talked with a DJI rep on Facebook, who had me send him logs and a screen cap of the problem. He then told me that an engineer suggested that I update the firmware (which I had rolled back to previous version) and calibrate the sensors using DJI Assistant 2.
I tried this, even though I had already done this before, and it actually made it worse. Now it just goes strait up to the preset overall altitude limit, cancels the RTH, and just sits there.
I'm not happy lol

Thanks for responding.  I just did a firmware update and tried again, this time I got a popup on my screen that said an obstacle was blocking RTH, but the drone was 60m up.  Good thing I have DJI refresh.  It sucks that I can't fly far with it though.  If I ever lose the connection this thing is going to land wherever.
2022-1-12
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

WFisk Posted at 1-12 11:03
Thanks for responding.  I just did a firmware update and tried again, this time I got a popup on my screen that said an obstacle was blocking RTH, but the drone was 60m up.  Good thing I have DJI refresh.  It sucks that I can't fly far with it though.  If I ever lose the connection this thing is going to land wherever.

Yeah...sounds like your problem is a little different than mine. But similar.
I don't get any kind of message, other than maximum height has been reached. Then it self-cancels the RTH.
RTH is essentially gone on mine. Completely non functional
2022-1-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WFisk Posted at 1-12 11:03

Is there something stopping you from flying home manually?
Did you switch obstacle avoidance off?
2022-1-12
Use props
WFisk
New

Guyana

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-12 11:50

nothing is stopping me now, but I usually fly far away and when the drone loses the connection it comes home.  when this started i was 2.5km away. lost connection and didn't realize the drone wasn't coming back .  luckily i was able to find it.
when I realized what happened I don't go as far, but even with obstacle avoidance off it still beeps all the time when flying, mostly side to side and forward. and with obstacle avoidance off, it still gives me an obstacle error when trying to use rth.
2022-1-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well realistically should you be flying beyond you visual range?
The following is an experiment, I do not have Air 2 so I can not test this myself.That said try, whilst the drone is actually moving towards home, pushing the forward stick fully forward. A skim of the manual says the drone can not avoid obstacles if the speed is greater than 12m/s, if by any chance that is because the drone disables the OA above 12m/s I do not know. But if you were flying in N mode you may not be able to break the 12m/s threshold. It maybe that the drone needs to been in sports mode when the RTH is initiated for it to be possible to force the drone above 12m/s.
2022-1-12
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

It doesn't matter what mode it's in. RTH is a mode of its own. And vlos is irrelevant. RTH should work, regardless. That's what it's for, in case you lose connection with the remote and/or phone
2022-1-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"It doesn't matter what mode it's in. RTH is a mode of its own" I'd agree with the second sentence but suggest you test the first sentence.
In windless condition or in wind where the out bound flight is up wind......
Fly out a reasonable distance, 300m or 400m perhaps, set the drone into Normal or tripod mode and initiate an RTH, push the forward stick fully forward and watch the speed, does it exceed 12m/s?
Once you are satisfied that you have seen a maximum speed cancel the RTH and fly back to the distant point. Switch the drone to sports mode and initiate and RTH, once the drone is returning push the forward stick fully forward and watch the speed, does it exceed 12m/s?.
I have done something similar with a Mavic Mini and it was possible to exceed the RTH mode's 'inputless' maximum speed by pushing the forward stick fully forward, I think that was providing the drone was in sports mode prior to the initiation of the RTH.
2022-1-12
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-12 16:01
"It doesn't matter what mode it's in. RTH is a mode of its own" I'd agree with the second sentence but suggest you test the first sentence.
Fly out a reasonable distance, 300m or 400m perhaps, set the drone into Normal or tripod mode and initiate an RTH, push the forward stick fully forward and watch the speed, does it exceed 12m/s?

The problem is, I shouldn't HAVE to push the stick forward. As of now, when I hit the RTH button it ascends PAST the preset RTH altitude limit. It goes straight to the overall altitude limit, and then SELF-CANCELS. It then just sits there. There is obviously a problem with a firmware and/or software update. I've been on many forums, and read many posts from people having the same problems. It seems to have started in the past month or so. As it stands. the RTH on mine is unusable and I will not fly it without functioning RTH.
2022-1-13
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-12 11:50

No there's nothing preventing it, but that is beside the point. What are you supposed to do if you NEED it? If the remote loses connection or your phone crashes? RTH is there for a reason, and it should function when needed.
2022-1-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

pagan65 Posted at 1-13 00:41
No there's nothing preventing it, but that is beside the point. What are you supposed to do if you NEED it? If the remote loses connection or your phone crashes? RTH is there for a reason, and it should function when needed.

Hi,

Can you share a flightlog whith this issue ?

cheers
JJB
2022-1-13
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-13 04:39
Hi,

Can you share a flightlog whith this issue ?
Here's a link I posted previously

2022-1-13
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

And another

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8N375GBT3YWX45VKPVKB
2022-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-12 16:01

There's no need to test because what he said is correct and can be easily seen in recorded flight data.
2022-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Does the fly app have a setting that allows you to choose whether to use obstacle avoidance in RTH?
Or is that just another one of many useful features from DJI Go4 that are missing from the Fly app?
2022-1-13
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

I've tried initiating RTH from all 3 modes, and the results were the same. It's not working properly, and as of now after calibrating the sensors and refreshing firmware as I was told to do by a DJI rep on Facebook, it isn't working at all. Just shoots up to the preset overall altitude limit and then self cancels the RTH. He's now telling me I need to send it in for service, which I will if I have to, but it no longer has refresh on it. I'd like to avoid it if possible.
2022-1-13
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-13 05:05
Does the fly app have a setting that allows you to choose whether to use obstacle avoidance in RTH?
Or is that just another one of many useful features from DJI Go4 that are missing from the Fly app?

Not that I'm aware of, no. Not in the Fly app.
2022-1-13
Use props
WFisk
New

Guyana

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-12 14:25
Well realistically should you be flying beyond you visual range?
The following is an experiment, I do not have Air 2 so I can not test this myself.That said try, whilst the drone is actually moving towards home, pushing the forward stick fully forward. A skim of the manual says the drone can not avoid obstacles if the speed is greater than 12m/s, if by any chance that is because the drone disables the OA above 12m/s I do not know. But if you were flying in N mode you may not be able to break the 12m/s threshold. It maybe that the drone needs to been in sports mode when the RTH is initiated for it to be possible to force the drone above 12m/s.

I tried your test.  On each try the drone would turn to face the home direction but not move forward to return home, just up because it was sensing an obstacle.  There is something wrong with the sensors because it's raising to max height to avoid the invisible obstacle its sensing in front of it. I have disabled obstacle avoidance but it doesn't matter, the drone continues to beep like crazy when I fly forward or side to side.  There is no way to disable obstacle avoidance when using RTH.  
I appreciate the help and feedback but I've opened a ticket with DJI.  
2022-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Looking at your first flight, it's clear that it's obstacle avoidance behaviour that is causing the issue.

The drone starts returning at 3:12.4 and just as it gets to 14 mph at 3:18.5, it pitches back 49° to come to a screeching halt.
It slowly moves forward again, but at 3:27.5 it does it again.
Then at 3:35.1 and 3:43, and you cancelled RTh and flew home yourself after that.

The drone's heading was 107° when it was having the problem.
Was there a low, bright light out to the east that could have set off OA?
Or a lot of bright white snow?

2022-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RTH is working properly but OA is the problem.

Next time you run into this, it might be interesting to cancel and manually fly to a position where the RTH path is 90° away from the path where OA is causing an issue.
See if OA gives you any trouble flying RTH in that direction.
You could also test flying home and continuing well past to see what RTH does at 180° to the problem direction.

2022-1-13
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-13 05:44
Looking at your first flight, it's clear that it's obstacle avoidance behaviour that is causing the issue.

The drone starts returning at 3:12.4 and just as it gets to 14 mph at 3:18.5, it pitches back 49° to come to a screeching halt.

No. It was a cloudy overcast day. And I was well above anything that could be even close to being called an obstacle. Wasn't near anything.
Also, I've tried other drones in the same exact spot, including a mini 2, And another Air 2, and RTH worked normally
Just to add....the drone has not been crashed, bumped hard or anything else of the sort. It flew perfectly fine up until the past month or so. I'm not sure exactly when it started, as I don't use RTH that often
2022-1-13
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-13 05:50
RTH is working properly but OA is the problem.

Next time you run into this, it might be interesting to cancel and manually fly to a position where the RTH path is 90° away from the path where OA is causing an issue.

Since the DJI rep on Facebook had me calibrate the sensors and refresh the firmware, it's not working at all. It just climbs straight to the max overall altitude, stops, and cancels the RTH.
2022-1-13
Use props
pagan65
lvl.2
United States

Oh...and I've tried the RTH from several different areas, and different places. Same results
2022-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

pagan65 Posted at 1-13 05:53
Since the DJI rep on Facebook had me calibrate the sensors and refresh the firmware, it's not working at all. It just climbs straight to the max overall altitude, stops, and cancels the RTH.

It's not a good situation having RTH that you can't rely on, and OA that you can't control.

One more question, is there a lot of snow on the ground where you are flying?
I remember some flyers having OA issues due to reflection from snow last northern winter
2022-1-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules