Video settings that don't cause Action 2 to overheat
3541 10 2021-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi - to everyone that celebrates it, I hope you had a peaceful and happy Christmas!
A quick question please - does anyone know what the highest video settings that the Action 2 can be configured with which will not cause the device to overheat during extended use?

Many thanks in advance.
2021-12-27
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

460p Just Kidding. I recieved one for Christmas but have not had a chance to experiment with it. Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you.
2021-12-27
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Visual Air Posted at 12-27 09:52
460p Just Kidding. I recieved one for Christmas but have not had a chance to experiment with it. Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you.

hehehe - I've heard filming with a potato is even better ;)
2021-12-27
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Visual Air Posted at 12-27 09:52
460p Just Kidding. I recieved one for Christmas but have not had a chance to experiment with it. Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you.

By the way - there's a firmware update for the Action 2 so please make sure you download the DJI Mimo app (currently at v1.7.10) and it'll update it for you automatically.
2021-12-27
Use props
cpt_carrot
lvl.2

New Zealand

4k @ 24/25/30 fps according to the camera menu. You can probably get higher depending on conditions (moving vs stationary, inside vs outside, ambient temperature, etc). Using a battery/screen module also helps.

Indoors, I get 42 min at 2.7k 24 fps before the lens module runs out of memory without overheating.
2021-12-27
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

edwardquan Posted at 12-27 10:06
By the way - there's a firmware update for the Action 2 so please make sure you download the DJI Mimo app (currently at v1.7.10) and it'll update it for you automatically.

I will check it out. Thank you.
2021-12-27
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Visual Air Posted at 12-27 12:26
I will check it out. Thank you.

Np - hope it helps.

FYI - v1.7.10 is the latest Android version - iPhone's latest is v1.7.8 - you can download them here:

https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo
2021-12-27
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

cpt_carrot Posted at 12-27 11:06
4k @ 24/25/30 fps according to the camera menu. You can probably get higher depending on conditions (moving vs stationary, inside vs outside, ambient temperature, etc). Using a battery/screen module also helps.

Indoors, I get 42 min at 2.7k 24 fps before the lens module runs out of memory without overheating.

Thanks for this info - I will have to do some experimentation.

The issue is I wanted to use the Action 2 both as a webcam and as a CCTV camera - the latter which would need to be ONVIF compliant.  I can plug it in permanently to my PC and use it as a real time cam, but obviously don't want it to overheat etc.
2021-12-27
Use props
cpt_carrot
lvl.2

New Zealand

edwardquan Posted at 12-27 13:09
Thanks for this info - I will have to do some experimentation.

The issue is I wanted to use the Action 2 both as a webcam and as a CCTV camera - the latter which would need to be ONVIF compliant.  I can plug it in permanently to my PC and use it as a real time cam, but obviously don't want it to overheat etc.

The bitrate in webcam mode is lower than the maximum. I've had video calls of more than an hour on the Action 2 without issues. That being said this is not the best device to use as a webcam or cctv camera, as it is geared towards capturing high quality video in a  very small form factor.
2021-12-27
Use props
edwardquan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

cpt_carrot Posted at 12-27 13:47
The bitrate in webcam mode is lower than the maximum. I've had video calls of more than an hour on the Action 2 without issues. That being said this is not the best device to use as a webcam or cctv camera, as it is geared towards capturing high quality video in a  very small form factor.

Again - thank you for the information and agree to your point.

For me it is the size of the camera that I am attracted to - I don't mind a lower bitrate etc for CCTV/webcam usage - as long as it can capture a face as to who is performing a certain action that's great - in fact if DJI could implement such a mode with the relevant settings that would be fantastic and take the guess work out for me!
2021-12-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there edwardquan. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference, the DJI Action 2 is constructed of aluminum alloy that can be prone to fast heat conduction and dissipation. Given that the DJI Action 2 supports 4K/120fps video recording, it’s normal for the camera unit to get hot when recording. The DJI Action 2 has a built-in temperature control system. Action 2 will automatically send a prompt to stop recording when the camera temperature reaches the set value. The Auto-Stop Rec Temp supports two set value settings ( Standard: 48℃ and High: 53℃ ). You can adjust the Auto-Stop Rec Temp in the settings according to your usage habits and preferences. ( *When using the Action 2 Camera Unit separately, the Auto-Stop Rec Temp refers to the frame temperature. When connected with the Front Touchscreen Module or Power Module, the Auto-Stop Rec Temp refers to the connected module’s frame temperature. There might be a temperature difference of around 1 to 2℃ ). Thank you
2021-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules