1126 16 2021-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5076896 ft
  • >>>
United States

While charging a 3s battery, I tried to plug in a 6s battery on the plate.  Instant short.  Battery obviously ruined, and the charger looks dead.   Don't see a reset on it anywhere.   Is there a fix for the charger?    Anyway, don't do what I just did.  
Battery Failure.jpg
2021-12-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the warning!
2021-12-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you looked for a fuse that might have blown?
2021-12-28
Use props
Max90payneFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2832844 ft
Italy

Hello !!!

I love you but it seems to me that you are entering the world of FPV the wrong way !!!

YOU MUST DOCUMENT US before doing anything ... especially with LIPO batteries !!

No offense but you are starting the approach to this world the wrong way ..... you are not documenting yourself !!

You can connect in series batteries all with the same cells (4S, 6S) even with different capacities .... 850,1200,1500 mAh without any problem.

Greetings
2021-12-28
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 12-28 11:39
Hello !!!

I love you but it seems to me that you are entering the world of FPV the wrong way !!!

Daar Max, My FPV career ended with that blowup.   Just wanted to leave a note to let others to know how dangerous doing that is.    Guess I'll stick with my Mavics, not all bad, I learned to fly FPV much better with Liftoff, and now I'll fly my Mavics using those skills.   Thanks for you help.  
2021-12-28
Use props
Max90payneFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2832844 ft
Italy

Hello !!!

My friend you don't have to give up if you like FPV flying !!

Just do things calmly and patiently .... and documenting yourself!

As I have already told you the learning curve is difficult but not impossible.

I advise you not to abandon FPV flight !!

If you want advice and suggestions you know where to find me
2021-12-29
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dear Max,    My goal is to fly in FPV mode in the mountains, and I can accomplish that with a Mavic in FPV mode.     I never really got off the ground with these other drones, and that fire scared the hell out of me.    I had it in  a lipo bag or it could have been serious.   Dumb maybe but everyone is dumb a certain percentage of the time.   I saw Bardwell charge up his drone without an antenna, so even he isn't free of mistakes.
2021-12-29
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Does anybody know why this happened.  When I plugged in the mostly charged 6s  with a 3s charging, was it the difference in the balance?  Why is that a problem?
2022-1-2
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

BarnSwallow Posted at 1-2 15:54
Does anybody know why this happened.  When I plugged in the mostly charged 6s  with a 3s charging, was it the difference in the balance?  Why is that a problem?

These adapter plates are generally wired so that the top and bottom pins of the balance plug are connected to the pins of the XT power plugs, so I would hazard the guess that when you plugged in the 6S, it applied 4 of the cells across one of the cells of the 3S. That cell didn't take kindly to having around 16v applied across it and took the easy way out. FOOM!

Now you know why you should never plug more than one type of pack into the adapter plate.

In fact unless you are in desperate rush to charge all the packs, I'd only do one at once. When you charge more than once at once, there is cross charging between packs which can get sketchy.
Edit to add: In fact now I think about it, you also may have shorted across part of the 6S pack. Depends on precisely how the adapter plate is wired.

2022-1-4
Use props
maihem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 251211 ft
United States

BarnSwallow Posted at 1-2 15:54

Just to make sure I understand what happened...
3s was charging...then you plugged in a 6s to the same board the 3s was on or to the other side of the charger?
If to the same board as the 3s, the 6s greatly overpowered the 3s and you are lucky you had it in a fireproof bag.
If to the other side of the charger, I am not familiar with that particular charger but on my two- double multi-chargers, I can set each output to separate battery types, perhaps the settings were off.
2022-1-4
Use props
maihem
lvl.4
United States

Nicodema Posted at 1-4 07:45
These adapter plates are generally wired so that the top and bottom pins of the balance plug are connected to the pins of the XT power plugs, so I would hazard the guess that when you plugged in the 6S, it applied 4 of the cells across one of the cells of the 3S. That cell didn't take kindly to having around 16v applied across it and took the easy way out. FOOM!

Now you know why you should never plug more than one type of pack into the adapter plate.

I agree, if you charge with those boards/adapter plates, which I use regularly because I have 6 to 10 of the same lipo batteries for my regular non-DJI FPV stuff.  You need to stick to the same type and specification of battery across the entire board/plate.  Heck, I keep to the same group of batteries that were purchased at the same time as I label each group to keep them straight.  
Also agree, the boards/plates are not ideal to use every time.  I try to occasionally charge each battery individually to keep them from having variances over time from all being charged together.  I'm certain that some are off a little but not by much with the way I have been doing it.  I am overly cautious at checking and double checking to keep from screwing up, because I go from small FPV lipos to huge RC truck lipos, and have been fortunate to have never had one catch fire...I have had some swell here and there but more from improper storage levels than from improper charging.  Also, I try to keep one charger for the smaller batteries and one for the larger ones so I have less of a chance of messing up settings if you're switching things around frequently.
2022-1-4
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nicodema Posted at 1-4 07:45
These adapter plates are generally wired so that the top and bottom pins of the balance plug are connected to the pins of the XT power plugs, so I would hazard the guess that when you plugged in the 6S, it applied 4 of the cells across one of the cells of the 3S. That cell didn't take kindly to having around 16v applied across it and took the easy way out. FOOM!

Now you know why you should never plug more than one type of pack into the adapter plate.

I can see that the amperage would go way up for the 6s, burning up the 3s, but why did the charger burn out?   Dead as a door knob.
2022-1-4
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

maihem Posted at 1-4 12:39
Just to make sure I understand what happened...
3s was charging...then you plugged in a 6s to the same board the 3s was on or to the other side of the charger?
If to the same board as the 3s, the 6s greatly overpowered the 3s and you are lucky you had it in a fireproof bag.

Yes, you were right, 3s and 6s on the charger plate. Guess that bumped up the amperage overpowering the 3s, but why did the charger get fried?  
2022-1-4
Use props
maihem
lvl.4
United States

Oh, for the charger, look for any sort of fuse to replace...also, see if it will charge a single battery without the plate, maybe it just fried the parallel charging board.
2022-1-4
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

maihem Posted at 1-4 13:14
Oh, for the charger, look for any sort of fuse to replace...also, see if it will charge a single battery without the plate, maybe it just fried the parallel charging board.

The charger itself blew.  Wouldn't charge.  Someone previously said he soldered a wire over a melted piece within the charger.    I returned it.  Sad to say my FPV career ended with this.  I'm over my depth.  Just curious why it overloaded the charger itself.
2022-1-5
Use props
maihem
lvl.4
United States

BarnSwallow Posted at 1-5 02:49
The charger itself blew.  Wouldn't charge.  Someone previously said he soldered a wire over a melted piece within the charger.    I returned it.  Sad to say my FPV career ended with this.  I'm over my depth.  Just curious why it overloaded the charger itself.

It overloaded because it was charging at 3s and got backfed with 6s power.
2022-1-5
Use props
PaulJ92029
lvl.1
United States

Does anybody have the time to explain to a newb what the advantages of this charger are and what 6s and 3s cells are and what their advantages/disadvantages are?  I have the DJI FPV Fly More Kit with its 3 station, one battery at a time charger and wasn't aware of any other batteries for the FPV.
2022-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules