My Mavic 3 just fallen from the sky. Lost it.
11942 192 2021-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2021-12-31 22:48
That's because you are looking at the flight data in Airdata ... which does not read M3 flight data properly.

Apparently neither does PH. I see the same thing there. Neither shows stick movement at those times. Both show Go Home at a later time than I was referencing. They are pretty much identical. Or do you mean that PH fails also?

Now to get back to my question, why do both sites show 30-40 mph speed and no change in the HP distance figure? Are they both showing the vertical speed included? Because it is falling fast.
2022-1-1
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

I expend already probably 12 hours and nothing. I guess if the drone crashed on the road someone still it or the drone crashed in a different direction not recorded by the data.
I will go again tomorrow to give the last shot.
2022-1-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-1 15:22
I expend already probably 12 hours and nothing. I guess if the drone crashed on the road someone still it or the drone crashed in a different direction not recorded by the data.

I was just thinking the same about someone picking it up off the road. If your phone number is on it somewhere, you might get a call if they find the number.
2022-1-1
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-1 15:33
I was just thinking the same about someone picking it up off the road.
And is sad because I have labels on it that say "if found please call and my number for reward. Also has the FAA numbers.
No calls so far.

2022-1-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried searching the canopy with another drone? If the forest is that dense, it probably did not make it to the ground.
2022-1-1
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-1 15:40
Have you tried searching the canopy with another drone? If the forest is that dense, it probably did not make it to the ground.

I mapped all the area with Dronelink with probably 400 pictures and check every single picture. Tomorrow i am doing the same but with video.

map.jpg
2022-1-1
Use props
Hawkeye Dronography
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1216867 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 2021-12-31 15:39
yeah that sucks, sorry to hear.  i can't help you with gps, logs, and what not but for your next drone and for others, this is what i use:  https://www.amazon.com/VIFLY-Wireless-Self-Powered-Battery-Airplanes/dp/B07VJMTFVH/ref=sr_1_5

The Apple Airtag is a good option too if you're in the general vicinity of the drone.
2022-1-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-1 15:22
I expend already probably 12 hours and nothing. I guess if the drone crashed on the road someone still it or the drone crashed in a different direction not recorded by the data.

You should be more worried about it dropping on someone or their property than someone stealing it.
2022-1-1
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-1 16:15
You should be more worried about it dropping on someone or their property than someone stealing it.

That is very true. I am happy I don't cause an accident. I am worry as well to know what really happened. I can not find any feather, bird or drone parts.

Is most likely a drone failure base in the data logs. Meta4 agree with that. I want to know because will make the difference from fly again my replacement Mavic 3 or wait until the firmware is fine tune. I hope DIJI replace my drone without need to pay the flyaway deductible since was not my fault.
2022-1-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-1 16:20
That is very true. I am happy I don't cause an accident. I am worry as well to know what really happened. I can not find any feather, bird or drone parts.

Is most likely a drone failure base in the data logs. Meta4 agree with that. I want to know because will make the difference from fly again my replacement Mavic 3 or wait until the firmware is fine tune. I hope DIJI replace my drone without need to pay the flyaway deductible since was not my fault.

I hope dji replace it, it does look like your case is a matter of failure of dji craft. If you insist dji will give you an explanation, but many just take the replacement drone and we are left in the dark as to what exactly happened. Good luck and hopefully your outcome is a goods one.
2022-1-1
Use props
Javierz0509
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6321804 ft
United States

at 21% and the drone didnt trigger RTH dude you are the pilot not the drone, pilot error.

VLOS is important
2022-1-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hawkeye Dronography Posted at 1-1 16:03
The Apple Airtag is a good option too if you're in the general vicinity of the drone.

agree and i mention it all the time and so does GaryDoug for a visual perspective.  but nobody listens i guess.  for this incident, you could drive down that highway at night in the dark and you would either see it flashing or hear it beeping from deep in the woods.  guy would have his drone back by now....

the audible and visual alerts are not gimmicks.
2022-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 2021-12-31 19:43
I'm confused. Just before the mishap, the drone is flying about 30-35 mph with no stick actions or being in active tracking mode. Is there an reason for that? The log only shows Sport mode.

Look again ... I see Active Track showing before 11:03.5 and joystick inputs for the rest of the flight after that.
2022-1-1
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Javierz0509 Posted at 1-1 17:19
at 21% and the drone didnt trigger RTH dude you are the pilot not the drone, pilot error.

VLOS is important

Pilot error because is flying at 21% and that cause the drone to crash. Make sense . You are good.
I was in VLOS and nothing you can do if the ESC fail or you can prevent that? That was my bad luck.
2022-1-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-1 18:27
Look again ... I see Active Track showing before 11:03.5 and joystick inputs for the rest of the flight after that.

What? That is way too early. I am talking about just before the end. 12m13.3s is the last time I see anything happening with the sticks. It's in Sport mode at that time and goes into Go Home at 12m16.9s. What is up with the 30-40 mph speed with no significant change in position? It it just vertical drop?
2022-1-1
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

When the SUV turn left in the AVE and I start following again I was in Normal mode then switched to sport mode to catch up since I was behind. Then when the first glitch happened pull up for a second and lost the control. The video show more than what i was able to see in the RC Pro Screen. I immediately pressed RTH since I have no feedback. Before that i was following the SUV with tracking mode, testing the tracking ability, that is why you cant see sticks inputs. Airdata is unable to see any kind of stick inputs since is not optimized yet for M3 completely but if you read the log with CSVview you can see the inputs.
2022-1-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-1 19:48
When the SUV turn left in the AVE and I start following again I was in Normal mode then switched to sport mode to catch up since I was behind. Then when the first glitch happened pull up for a second and lost the control. The video show more than what i was able to see in the RC Pro Screen. I immediately pressed RTH since I have no feedback. Before that i was following the SUV with tracking mode, testing the tracking ability, that is why you cant see sticks inputs. Airdata is unable to see any kind of stick inputs since is not optimized yet for M3 completely but if you read the log with CSVview you can see the inputs.

What version of CSVview are you using? I see plenty of stick inputs using Airdata or PH, just not at the very end.
2022-1-1
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

4.2.5. but i check it in https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/6FUJ38251QO92YNWNNBN/
2022-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 1-1 19:38
What? That is way too early. I am talking about just before the end. 12m13.3s is the last time I see anything happening with the sticks. It's in Sport mode at that time and goes into Go Home at 12m16.9s. What is up with the 30-40 mph speed with no significant change in position? It it just vertical drop?

Not sure what you are looking at.
I see at 12:13.3 sticks were released
After that, speed slows and distance from home continues to increase.
That seems quite normal to me.
2022-1-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-1 20:25
Not sure what you are looking at.
I see at 12:13.3 sticks were released
After that, speed slows and distance from home continues to increase.

unexplained speed.png
2022-1-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Looking at the PH link, it appears to be about 40 feet off the highway right next to the turn lane arrows. Probably in a tree.
2022-1-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 1-1 15:03
Apparently neither does PH. I see the same thing there. Neither shows stick movement at those times. Both show Go Home at a later time than I was referencing. They are pretty much identical. Or do you mean that PH fails also?

Now to get back to my question, why do both sites show 30-40 mph speed and no change in the HP distance figure? Are they both showing the vertical speed included? Because it is falling fast.

Hi Gary

Last 4 records in the log are duplicates, showing the same values.
Before that distances between 2 records, calculates using GPS data, same distances and correct speed values as before in the log.

6.8 meter for 12m20.2 and 12m20.6. GPS data records before that are changing.
Max speed 17.1 m/s = 38.3 mph.
Speed is always the horizontal speed, calc from the X and Y axis moves of the drone.

Speed data in the CSV file correct, not so correct after the incident in air.See how the GPS and YX speed lines starts to diverge. (GPS speed done using LatLon data over time)

See also my previous chart in wich you see the curve it made dropping down, a smooth line wich means that GPS data is correct.

Just before the falling down RC input stopped, before that fwd pitch + some left yaw and up steering.
2 seconds later the steady heading changed from 184 to 153 to 262 to 156 than only to the right for few moments.

My guess bird hit or prop/propulsion fail on 1 motor.
If it was a bird than it seems logic for the M3 to correct first, prop damage and circling down. BUT i can be totally wrong ofcourse....

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2022-1-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-2 03:22
Hi Gary

Last 4 records in the log are duplicates, showing the same values.
[Image]

JJB,
How can you explain the M3 was able to stabilize 3 times like the video show with a damage or broken prop from a bird strike? Make more sense is a failure from the ESC randomly working. There is not evidence in the log that match a bird strike.  
2022-1-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-2 07:18
JJB,
How can you explain the M3 was able to stabilize 3 times like the video show with a damage or broken prop from a bird strike? Make more sense is a failure from the ESC randomly working. There is not evidence in the log that match a bird strike.

Hi,

as i said "i can be totally wrong"...so no explantion ofcourse.
How do you see evidence or no-evidence in a log for a bird strike?

Drone hit by a bird > rapid moves in 1 or 2 or 3 axis, after that stabilizing ofcourse if blades are all in good order.

In this log yaw moves, correction ect.  

In my logic ; if one prop/motor fail it will not correct its heading but spins in one direction at and after failing.

Plus what are the chances of bird strike against a ESC fail ?

BUT as said ;   i can be totally wrong, wich i do not mind if that is the case.

cheers
JJB
2022-1-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If you ask me what is the chances from bird strike vs ESC failure with the Mavic 2 I will says I have more chances to be hit by a lighting than an ESC failure since that drone is super reliable. But the M3 is so new and have his flaws that I can’t just trust it yet.
2022-1-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not an M3 but this might be interesting from 7:44 onwards.
2022-1-2
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-2 07:54
Not an M3 but this might be interesting from 7:44 onwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5LtTiuEYk

Holey doley. This is just incredible. Thank you very much for showing this. Now I feel very good about flying my M2P. 1/2 of one prop cut of and still flies perfect. Although, that motor probably work a bit harder than the others and takes more battery. This debunks a lot of what I have heard about props. They also seam to be super strong. The guy can hardly cut it. Excellent test.
2022-1-2
Use props
Michaelpop84
lvl.3
Flight distance : 264354 ft
Luxembourg

I had a similar crash with a Phantom 4, which ended up not having any log file. I supposed at that moment that due to a power-loss (short-circuit or whatever), the logfile of the last flight didn't get saved, somehow like if you pull the cable of a pc and didn't save your work. Conclusion is that DJI refused to repair it in warranty, so basically if you don't buy DJI Care, your warranty is useless...
2022-1-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Uuum it was not the intention of providing that link that it be thought of as 'cool' etc.
it was provided merely as a demonstartion that these drones can sometimes fly with blades or parts of blades missing.....enough to get the drone home at least ( sometimes).

A prolonged flight with a propellor that is badly out of balance may well damage the motor and or its bearings, It will cause SIGNIFICANT vibration which may also damage the air frame.
Remember also that a lost portion of a blade will reduce the thrust produced by that propeller at any given speed so the motor has to turn faster to create the necessary lift. In turn, the increased speed increases the imbalance load, if I remember correctly the load is proportional to the square of the rotational speed i.e. if correct, double the speed and you quadruple the force.

Yes it is good to know that a broken propellor blade is not always a death sentence but it is critcial damage that needs to be fixed asap.
2022-1-2
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Does your town have one of the new Tesla Force Fields?  

The jolting motion then stabilizing right before the video ends makes me think that something may have hit your drone.  

You may have to search up instead of down.  It seems like drones will find a way to get stuck up in a tree out of reach whenever possible.  Best of luck finding it.  
2022-1-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-1-2
Use props
sclelectronics
Second Officer
United States

Well, our Tools/Toys are  getting more Expensive..
Fly Aways can strike at Anytime...
This little jewel make more sense!!
The Marco-Polo handheld Tracking system.

For $220... pretty cheap insurance...
To hopefully you find your Drone!
Marco-Polo Tracker
2022-1-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-2 07:54
Not an M3 but this might be interesting from 7:44 onwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5LtTiuEYk

There is no dough the MP, M2P are tanks. They are just incredibly reliable.
2022-1-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-2 13:46
There is no dough the MP, M2P are tanks. They are just incredibly reliable.

I take it you didn’t have that rain jacket on your Mavic 3
2022-1-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-2 14:30
I take it you didn’t have that rain jacket on your Mavic 3

Not in the Mavic 3. Just the Mavic Air 2. But I purchased one for the M3, is just i haven installed. I wish I have it  installed since will be easier to find it because the bright colors.
2022-1-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i got absolutely lucking finding my lost m2z when it crashed a few years ago.  like you, i was at the end of the 2nd day and was ready to give it up....and i had an area less than half the size of yours.  when i found the drone, i realized it is likely i had overlooked it several times during the search and had it not been for sheer luck, i may never had found this drone.  that's when i decided never again to rely on the basics and that i needed help.  seek help.  unless you live in the wide open plains of nebraska, gps alone is not always going to be sufficient to find a drone laying on the ground saying please come get me.  not sure if you mentioned if you have dji care+flyaway.
2022-1-2
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

That sux. Not knowing why is the worst part.

Good luck with the search
2022-1-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I would advertise a bounty for it just under the difference you might have to pay for the Flyaway replacement ($739 minus $159). Maybe some local young guys would compete for the money ($500??)
2022-1-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-2 20:00
I would advertise a bounty for it just under the difference you might have to pay for the Flyaway replacement ($739 minus $159). Maybe some local young guys could compete for the money.

The drone has a sticker in the battery with my number and says if found call for a reward. Also has the FAAnumber
2022-1-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-2 20:04
The drone has a sticker in the battery with my number and says if found call for a reward. Also has the FAAnumber

But you need to entice people to help you find it. Otherwise the label is useless.
2022-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules