My Mavic 3 just fallen from the sky. Lost it.
11880 192 2021-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI need to replace the drone out of cost because what happened. I will see what happen.
2022-1-2
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 1-2 18:19
That sux. Not knowing why is the worst part.

Good luck with the search

Thank you !!
2022-1-3
Use props
vsasolutions
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427887 ft
United States

EFRPIC Posted at 2021-12-31 17:18
Image looks like it hit and tangled with something. Could there have been hi-voltage lines near that intersection? Or possibly a bird strike?  Looks like an edit right before it does the final spin?

Looks like a bird strike to me.  I had that happen to my Mavic Pro some years back.  Video looked identical.  I was fortunate, camera view was off but I was able to fly it back line of sight.
2022-1-3
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I respect your opinion but a bird strike that breaks a propeller will not explain how the drone was able to stabilize 3 times when falling. The video does not show a bird anywhere and was not edited as somebody suggested.
2022-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

vsasolutions Posted at 1-3 06:01
Looks like a bird strike to me.  I had that happen to my Mavic Pro some years back.  Video looked identical.  I was fortunate, camera view was off but I was able to fly it back line of sight.

Looks like a bird strike, we just cannot see the bird !  Bird strike is very rare particularly at this height, you are very little threat to birds flying at this height, flying lower yes as birds see you challenging for their space food young etc.

In 8 years of flying Ive seen I think about 2 bird strikes and I don’t believe this was another one. It looks very much like a malfunction or prop problem.
2022-1-3
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Another point is the drone was flying at high speed and glitched 2 seconds before the big spin. Having a hovering drone or slow speed at that altitude only a hawk will be capable to do something like that and the footage and data do not match that kind of strike.
I am not saying is not possible but most likely is not the case.

The glitch is more a malfunction.
2022-1-3
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Update,

DJI is looking now in my case. They collected all the information from me. They say when a Flyaway happens the app asks to submit the Flyaway report but this never happens to me. Even the Fly App never shows me the tracking for finding the drone which is another problem because won't work in the way is supposed to work.

Anyway they say will be a quick resolution for 1-3 days since I provide tons of information and the engineers will give the resolution in writing of what happened on the flyaway. Also mention if was not the pilot fault DJI will replace the drone without the need to use my DJI Care. Now I have a case number finally.

They will send an email with the case resolution.
2022-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-3 10:16
Update,

DJI is looking now in my case. They collected all the information from me. They say when a Flyaway happens the app asks to submit the Flyaway report but this never happens to me. Even the Fly App never shows me the tracking for finding the drone which is another problem because won't work in the way is supposed to work.

Good luck, for me it was the fault of the drone and not the pilot.
2022-1-3
Use props
Tony64
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65574 ft
United Kingdom

Yes good luck, I hope they decide it was not pilot error at all, but a hardware/mechanical failure - new drone!
2022-1-3
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Update,
DJI just call me over the phone to informed me that they decide on send me a new drone free of charge. They say I will receive an email with tracking details and another email in 1-3 days explaining what happen (I ask for that). For my surprise they will send me even the 128GB SD card that I lost it too !!! I am happy now. I ask if they know when the January update will be released and they just say in January stay pending on the website.
2022-1-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-3 14:57
Update,
DJI just call me over the phone to informed me that they decide on send me a new drone free of charge. They say I will receive an email with tracking details and another email in 1-3 days explaining what happen (I ask for that). For my surprise they will send me even the 128GB SD card that I lost it too !!! I am happy now. I ask if they know when the January update will be released and they just say in January stay pending on the website.

Great news!
2022-1-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

brilliant, did they give an explanation for what happened?
2022-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Update,
DJI just call me over the phone to informed me that they decide on send me a new drone free of charge. They say I will receive an email with tracking details and another email in 1-3 days explaining what happen (I ask for that). For my surprise they will send me even the 128GB SD card that I lost it too !!! I am happy now. I ask if they know when the January update will be released and they just say in January stay pending on the website.

……
2022-1-3
Use props
ATKAS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112303 ft
Australia

Update,

Awesome news, well done.

And well done DJI for supporting your supporters
2022-1-3
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Update,

It's interesting that there are no messages at all about about anything.  Typically if a bird strike happened or a prop flew off, there would be some sort of indication in the logs.  There doesn't appear to be anything that points in that direction.  But there also are no indications of device malfunctions either like there is most of the time.

I'm not surprised to see DJI send you a replacement and do so quickly.  I think this rollout has not gone well for them, so they are doing some PR damage control currently and are very quickly replacing drones they may have dragged their feet on in the past.

I'm glad you will be up and flying again very soon.

Having said all the above, this is a very good reminder of why we shouldn't be flying over people or traffic.  As reliable as drones have become, stuff still happens.  

I hope you have many fun and safe flights ahead!
2022-1-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is the best possible outcome!!!  I am very happy for you and hope that brings you some relief!!!
2022-1-3
Use props
EFRPIC
lvl.4

United States

2022, the year that DJI goes all in on Customer Service.....be a smart idea but unlikely. :-)
2022-1-3
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

I am annoyed about the rushed product release, and the fact that they are about to drop a new fly more combo on us with the rc pro controller for a much reduced price that those of us who already bought will now miss out on. One thing you do have to give DJI credit on, is they have really went above and beyond in addressing crashes and such, often responding super quickly, and sending folks brand new drones. Im sure many of us have dealt with companies who dont respond in this way, so we sort of expect after a crash to end up in a long, drawn out back and forth with the manufacturer, and likely left with a poor resolution. DJI has just smashed all of that and almost seem to just be airing on the side of just sending people entirely new drones - even in some cases where I felt DJI might could have argued a point of pilot error. Not saying that for this case. I am really glad for the OP that he is getting new drone. I am sure this helps with the anxiety. I watched all his videos, and you can tell he spent many hours looking for the drone. My initial gut feeling after watching the video was also that it was a bird strike. I still feel it was a bird strike.

I am curious though, directly after the crash happen, did OP immediately pull over and go check road, sidewalks, etc? I have to assume he did, and that he didn't see it anywhere there. If that is the case, then it clearly went into the woods, and I suspect landed up in a tree. The only other possibility is that it fell and landed on a trailer of a vehicle or something and was immediately, and unknowingly driven off to who knows where, but what are the odds of that happening? I feel like it was hit by a bird and came down, wedging itself up in a tree somewhere very hard to see. Does the Find my drone not work? I've always seen it work fairly well in situations like this, though I guess the drone was likely left unoperational after it came down.
2022-1-4
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 1-4 06:09
I am annoyed about the rushed product release, and the fact that they are about to drop a new fly more combo on us with the rc pro controller for a much reduced price that those of us who already bought will now miss out on. One thing you do have to give DJI credit on, is they have really went above and beyond in addressing crashes and such, often responding super quickly, and sending folks brand new drones. Im sure many of us have dealt with companies who dont respond in this way, so we sort of expect after a crash to end up in a long, drawn out back and forth with the manufacturer, and likely left with a poor resolution. DJI has just smashed all of that and almost seem to just be airing on the side of just sending people entirely new drones - even in some cases where I felt DJI might could have argued a point of pilot error. Not saying that for this case. I am really glad for the OP that he is getting new drone. I am sure this helps with the anxiety. I watched all his videos, and you can tell he spent many hours looking for the drone. My initial gut feeling after watching the video was also that it was a bird strike. I still feel it was a bird strike.

I am curious though, directly after the crash happen, did OP immediately pull over and go check road, sidewalks, etc? I have to assume he did, and that he didn't see it anywhere there. If that is the case, then it clearly went into the woods, and I suspect landed up in a tree. The only other possibility is that it fell and landed on a trailer of a vehicle or something and was immediately, and unknowingly driven off to who knows where, but what are the odds of that happening? I feel like it was hit by a bird and came down, wedging itself up in a tree somewhere very hard to see. Does the Find my drone not work? I've always seen it work fairly well in situations like this.

I agree DJI is doing great in customer service. To clarify my situation. When the incident happened, I waited 3-4 minutes in the take-off location for reconnection after I pres RTH since sometimes when the aircraft disconnect take up to 1-2 minutes to reconnect depending on the distance, interference... too many variables.. then I jump to my car and get to the place. Probably was about 7-8 minutes when I arrived at the last reported location. In 7-8 minutes a car probably saw the crash and took the drone from the sidewalk or road. I am assuming if that was the case the drone was not destroyed because the pieces will be on the floor or end up in the woods where I can't find it or the drone flew away from the reported zone. However, if the drone was not destroyed the person that took it probably took out the battery quickly or just was destroyed and took all the pieces. I can't find anything.
By the way, I am still waiting for the email. My statement yesterday was based on the verbal conversation with Tati from DJI. She say will send an email shortly.
2022-1-4
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
France

Good job @dji and congrats for your new drone. I hope you will be more lucky with this one ;)
2022-1-4
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Speaking generally in favor of the M3...  I think this is the first (and thus far only) forum report of a lost M3 drone.  I recall a dozen such cases of prior drone models in prior releases.  There's been some M3 crashes, but other than this incident, no other physical loss of craft that's been reported in the forums for which I'm aware.  There may be a number of factors supporting that data point, and I'm willing to give some credit to the M3 product itself.  It's also possible that because of the price point there is a level of care and sophistication and experience that the M3 user base exercises (this is not an entry level drone, and we including Zeus aren't entry level users).

I wish you had not lost your drone Zeus, and I hope your next one performs better.  It stinks that you are the first forum post related to totally losing the craft, and I hope we don't see more.
2022-1-4
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-4 06:18
I agree DJI is doing great in customer service. To clarify my situation. When the incident happened, I waited 3-4 minutes in the take-off location for reconnection after I pres RTH since sometimes when the aircraft disconnect take up to 1-2 minutes to reconnect depending on the distance, interference... too many variables.. then I jump to my car and get to the place. Probably was about 7-8 minutes when I arrived at the last reported location. In 7-8 minutes a car probably saw the crash and took the drone from the sidewalk or road. I am assuming if that was the case the drone was not destroyed because the pieces will be on the floor or end up in the woods where I can't find it or the drone flew away from the reported zone. However, if the drone was not destroyed the person that took it probably took out the battery quickly or just was destroyed and took all the pieces. I can't find anything.
By the way, I am still waiting for the email. My statement yesterday was based on the verbal conversation with Tati from DJI. She say will send an email shortly.

I doubt anyone took it in that time. Most people who see something like this aren't going to pull over and get out of their car, in front of passing cars, and grab something that they don't even know what it is. You say they pick it up and take the battery out and all this - the average person has no idea what a mavic 3 is, or how to take a battery out of it. Most people never seen a drone up close. Many people who see me fly my drone think I am some governemnt worker or official of some sort. They do not see mavic 3 immediately as just a toy. I just dont think it was picked up, in context it makes no sense for someone to pick up something they saw fall from the sky.

It is in those woods, likely wedged in a tree or vines somewhere up above the ground, and likely hit hard enough that it was not able to function, and thus find my drone cant work if the drone is dead. Your best chance of finding it was in the 30 minutes after the crash, when the battery was possibly still powering the drone, and the find my drone was still functional. The audible beeping from find my drone is pretty loud, and really was the best chance to find it.

While on the subject, I would encourage everyone to go in and practice, at least once, activating the find my drone and getting familiar will how it sounds and works.

Don't fret, you will get a new drone. Everyone I have seen who has had a crash has gotten a brand new drone it seems. Your video evidence is very clear that something hit the drone mid flight, like a bird, or that some other rare failure occurred mid flight.  I still think bird strike. It looks pretty clear to me that the drone was hit by something.
2022-1-4
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-4 06:52
Speaking generally in favor of the M3...  I think this is the first (and thus far only) forum report of a lost M3 drone.  I recall a dozen such cases of prior drone models in prior releases.  There's been some M3 crashes, but other than this incident, no other physical loss of craft that's been reported in the forums for which I'm aware.  There may be a number of factors supporting that data point, and I'm willing to give some credit to the M3 product itself.  It's also possible that because of the price point there is a level of care and sophistication and experience that the M3 user base exercises (this is not an entry level drone, and we including Zeus aren't entry level users).

I wish you had not lost your drone Zeus, and I hope your next one performs better.  It stinks that you are the first forum post related to totally losing the craft, and I hope we don't see more.

You are absolutely right. . I guess this one is one of the weird cases. The fact the Find my drone does not trigger either the tracking location or the fly away report means that there is room for fine-tuning as well. Expected with a new product.

Truly the M3 is a great drone and I was enjoying flying it. I cant wait to get the new one again and wait for that new firmware.
2022-1-4
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 1-4 06:55
I doubt anyone took it in that time. Most people who see something like this aren't going to pull over and get out of their car, in front of passing cars, and grab something that they don't even know what it is. You say they pick it up and take the battery out and all this - the average person has no idea what a mavic 3 is, or how to take a battery out of it. Most people never seen a drone up close. Many people who see me fly my drone think I am some governemnt worker or official of some sort. They do not see mavic 3 immediately as just a toy. I just dont think it was picked up, in context it makes no sense for someone to pick up something they saw fall from the sky.

It is in those woods, likely wedged in a tree or vines somewhere up above the ground, and likely hit hard enough that it was not able to function, and thus find my drone cant work if the drone is dead. Your best chance of finding it was in the 30 minutes after the crash, when the battery was possibly still powering the drone, and the find my drone was still functional. The audible beeping from find my drone is pretty loud, and really was the best chance to find it.

I respect your opinion. in most of the M3 crashed that I have seen the battery came out. By the design looks like is protected but somehow is coming out easy.

In my next Mavic 3, I am putting strobe lights and probably the marco polo. In a feature crash (i hope never happens) the strobe lights can help me find the drone at night especially if they don't fall but at least point me in the right direction.

Marco polo + strobe lights are cheaper than $800 for a flyaway.  DJI should sell strobe lights as accessories and separate GPS modules like Apple does.
2022-1-4
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-4 07:06
I respect your opinion. in most of the M3 crashed that I have seen the battery came out. By the design looks like is protected but somehow is coming out easy.

In my next Mavic 3, I am putting strobe lights and probably the macro polo. In a feature crash (i hope never happens) the strobe lights can help me find the drone at night especially if they don't fall but at least point me in the right direction.

Yes, I thought of that too. I could easily see the battery popping out if the drone was smacked or landed against something. It is only held in by plastic latches so it could easily pop out. These drones are not made to take any impact. They are all plastic. Most of the batteries are held on with plastic latches. Some of the Mavic 3 crashes I've seen on YouTube, even ones that appear to be fairly small crashes have damaged the drone considerably. Your drone appears to have plummeted from over 200 feet up? It likely landed and busted all sorts of things. The battery likely did get knocked out.
2022-1-4
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I am getting concerned. No email yet.
2022-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-4 07:06

In my next Mavic 3, I am putting strobe lights and probably the marco polo. In a feature crash (i hope never happens) the strobe lights can help me find the drone at night especially if they don't fall but at least point me in the right direction.

Strobe light Marco Polo will put you over the legal weight and void your warranty. Care refresh and fly VLOS and you won’t lose your drone. I think the fact that you have just been through a warranty it should show you that if drone malfunctions you are fully covered. Only thing you need worry about is pilot error.
2022-1-4
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Will firehouse lights avoid the warranty? They don't weigh anything.
2022-1-4
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-1-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-4 13:20
Strobe light Marco Polo will put you over the legal weight and void your warranty. Care refresh and fly VLOS and you won’t lose your drone. I think the fact that you have just been through a warranty it should show you that if drone malfunctions you are fully covered. Only thing you need worry about is pilot error.

There, for all practical purposes, is no weight limit in consideration here. Just the 250 gram limit that qualifies the Mini 2,
2022-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-4 13:23
Will firehouse lights avoid the warranty? They don't weigh anything.

Any mod added to your could effect your warranty. Sorry for some reason I thought you were in Italy
2022-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NGC Posted at 1-4 13:38
What legal weight are you talking about?

New rules coming in EU will effect drones weighing over 900g unless you are licensed to fly in certain categories. I thought op was from Italy for some reason. My Bad
2022-1-4
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you are looking for a simple strobe light that you can find in teh dark in the event of a crash, there was a post earlier that covered this.  you don't need to get spendy with a firehouse unless you want to see that drone from 3 miles away.  they are awfully bright and it's not overly expensive but not cheap either.  get a cheap tiny lightweight strobe. aslo the vifly has strobe + audible that won't activate until you crash.  and it's lightweight if that's a factor.
2022-1-4
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Way to go DJI!
2022-1-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Update,

That is excellent news my friend. Glad they owned up and replaced the drone, this gives many others hope in their customer service when they do things like this.
2022-1-4
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I am still waiting for the email.
2022-1-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 2021-12-31 19:23
Once again I will post this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have one of these on every drone and always light it up before a flight. It will flash a medium brightness for 3 days. That makes it easier to find especially in the dark. Cheap insurance. Ignore the line that states it goes for only 2 hours. I have tested them...72 hours.

At the altitude the occurrence happened at, unless you have say a cruise horn there is a high chance it will never be found.
2022-1-5
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like a bird strike or someone shot at it, hacked it, or the drone is just inherently defective.  Until more findings like this could show up on the forums from other M3 users we can't rule anything out.  GoPro 9 has issues with high-performance microSD cards where it just would corrupt the drive and all the files are gone.  This has been shown on the forums over many pages from lots of users.  A lot of people(assumed) don't even post and no one bothers to make news about it.  Just because it's not on the news doesn't mean it can't happen.  Just because people Believe something will never happen doesn't mean it never will just as if someone believes something so much doesn't mean it would.  Until we've died, the best thing we have in life is what solid engineering we have access to.  We have to trust the engineers did it right.  Life is all about trust and ignorance.  We are given signs that people somehow make it through life with and some just die on the spot from failed engineering.  Like I said, the first sentence that I wrote should be taken seriously.  We just don't know and any speculation could ultimately be true just as the beliefs about the afterlife.  If people don't stop spreading "resting in peace" when certain people died, what would hold people from "resting in peace" when their life gets too hard to handle?
2022-1-5
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-5 01:22
At the altitude the occurrence happened at, unless you have say a cruise horn there is a high chance it will never be found.

What are you talking about? The strobe I linked is used to find the drone once it is on the ground. Going out after dark would be relatively easy to use the strobe to find it because it lasts for 72 hours.
2022-1-5
Use props
ThreeZo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93793 ft
United States

unfortunately i have no advice to offer but wishing you luck with finding your drone - i will put some kind of additional tracker on mine - thanks for helping me in advanced
2022-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules