Winter Question. How cold was it when you safely flew your Mini o...
1121 6 2022-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

The Mini 2 was my first drone and I got in early this past summer.  A great toy to pass time alone with flying during the pandemic.

I have seen spectacular footage and stills taken during the winter.  I really like the ones taken in and around forests.  I live in Ontario Canada.  

I know what temperatures DJI states are best for this model. We have so few sunny cloudless windless days here and not all are near 0C or 32F. I understand  that the batteries should be kept warm until they are inserted in to the drone.  That is easy enough to do as well as landing directly on the landing pad to keep the drone dry.

Here is my question.  From past experience from you drone pilots, how cold was it when you safely flew your Mini or Mini 2?
2022-1-2
Use props
aairon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72831 ft

United States

I've been flying my mini se in 10 degree F = -12 C with absolutely no issues.
2022-1-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ontario Drone. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that out fellow DJI co pilots can give out the best recommendation and information with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2 has an 0° to 40°C ( 32° to 104°F ). Thank you.
2022-1-2
Use props
linkan1980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62782 ft
Sweden

I've been flying in 0-1C on ground level with some decent wind speeds (8-9 m/s) and not seen any warnings about temperature, only issue so far was a slight feeling of the drone drifting at 100m altitude.

Now, tomorrow air temps are going to be around -5 to -6 C with low humidity. I'm planning to start with a room temperature drone and battery, anything I should think of in addition to be extra careful and land with a lot of "reserves"?
2022-1-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying in sub 0ºC is fine, there shouldn't be any issues as long as you follow any and all advice, there's 2 that i will give out freely, 1 you will have heard many times

Always keep the batteries warm, never leave them in a cold room or car prior to flying. if possible, keep them in a pocket close to the body, if staying with the car, i highly recommend a 12v food/picnic warmer, and keep the batteries in that, it will heat up until you get to the flying spot and it will keep warm till you've finished as long as you don't keep opening it as they are insulated, i use a cheap one and it works well and keeps stuff cool in the summer

2nd one is, HUMIDITY, many don't even think about this one, if its too high, you WILL get prop icing, 100%, so, whilst flying through fog might be fun and or cinematic but at <3ºC and a high humidity, you a susceptible to icing and that's unforgiving on a Mini prop, most props actually but i had it once on my P4P and that stayed up, but then its props are bigger and stronger. anyhoo, getting off track, noticed i said <3 that's because its a safety margin, 1, the forecasts are never 100% accurate, they cover an area, not just for your position, 2, do not rely on your cars outside temp, again, far from accurate, do not rely on any temp gauge you may have taken unless it has a NIST certification, many are +/-1ºC and some are even  2ºC, 3, every 100m you climb above sea level, the temp drops 1ºC, 4, but I'm not sure on this, I'm sure i read it somewhere, the props themselves can actually add to this, something about the air pressure, although i have search for the article since and cannot find it. I do not know how high is a high humidity for this scenario, but i would consider not flying about 95% and sub 3ºC, normally there are fog patches at the very least or haze or mist. If you must fly, then a quick up and down (5 minutes) should suffice, bring it down and check for ice starting. then go again. I know its not always possible to do such a short flight, but then ask yourself, is this flight really worth a possible (x)400 or using up a care refresh.

If ya still awake, thats my take on it, take it as you may...
PS, the donre does not need to be room temp, just the battery, if the drone is, then you may get moisture issues on the camera, poss inside too, that's just a guess but i don't think you can rule it out 100%
2022-1-5
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

Thank you for all the responses and tips.  I am still waiting for a sunny day before I give winter flying a try.  Every day since Christmas has been cloudy.  
2022-1-6
Use props
linkan1980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62782 ft
Sweden

Didn't fly myself today (better to get a friend to test it first) Around -6 C, clear day, low humidity. No issues at all, around 20 minutes flight time landing with 27% battery.
2022-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules