Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello All,
I am struggling to understand DJI''s OcuSync protocol, the differences between OcuSync on the Smart Controller and RC Pro, and finally the 4G capability on the Mavic 3 and how does the RC Pro connect to a cellular frequency to control the Mavic 3 when the drone is connected by the 4G dongle?

Smart Controller
Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom
Phantom 4 Pro V2.0
Mavic Air 2
Mini 2
Air 2s?

RC Pro Controller
Mavic 3/Mavic 3 Cine (all RC Pro Controllers, except Air 2s RC Pro Controllers) purchased in a bundle or the RC Pro Controller by itself
Air 2s (currently only RC Pro Controllers purchased in the Fly More Combo Bundle?)
FPV??

Why would the Mavic 3/Mavic 3 Cine, Air 2s, Air 2, Mini 2 all connect to the same standard controller, which is equipped with OcuSync 2.0, work with OcuSync 2.0 and 3.0+ drones, yet the Smart Controller, which is equipped with OcuSync 2.0, only equipped to work with the drones listed above, and how and why does the RC Pro Controller, which is listed as having OcuSync 3.0+, only work with Mavic 3s, yet at the same time an RC Pro version has been released to only work with the Air 2s, yet the Mavic 3s RC Pro not compatible with the Air2s?

Personally, being a DJI drone user since 2017, I always considered DJI to be one of the best and most thorough new companies in the world. Basically it appears as if whatever turnover DJI experienced since 2019, resulted in layoffs and exits from DJI's best employees, based upon and attributable to a current malaise environment associated with most, if not all, of DJI's products released from 2019 to current day.

There used to be product and accessory releases at DJI that practically involved every release had a corresponding purpose to that specific release, a method to the madness, whereas today, there's no method only madness?

DJI 2022 Required Initiatives :
1) Must improve DJI Fly app so that it functions similarly to the DJI GO 4 app. The DJI Go 4 app was the most intuitive app out to the public for flying drones, as every conceivable setting addressed a corresponding effect. The Fly is terrible in being intuitive, as very few if any conceivable settings results in the desired effect?

2022-1-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

the entire world is under pressure and being affected; no one is exempt.
2022-1-3
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark_Robertson Posted at 1-3 10:38
Win a Mavic 3 Cine -> https://bit.ly/Win-a-Mavic-3-Cine

Not cool, hijacking others' threads...  
2022-1-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 1-3 10:49
Not cool, hijacking others' threads...

report it as spam, I did. They have done the same in several threads.
2022-1-3
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can some admin ban this guy?? is spamming every ware with that Win a Mavic 3 malware.

2022-01-03_17-02-46.jpg

2022-1-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Long time since you have been on here David. Good to see you posting again. I did post a video sometime back by a YouTube where he properly explains why O2 and O3 are different and why the RC from the M2 don't work on the M3. I will try and find it a post it here.
2022-1-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-3 14:02
Can some admin ban this guy?? is spamming every ware with that Win a Mavic 3 malware.

[view_image]

I reported his posts as well
2022-1-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Here you go David

2022-1-3
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Going back to the topic. I guess this is for marketing strategy. If they make the RC Pro compatible will kill the Smart Controller sales. However, once the smart controller units are sold out in all retailers I am sure they will make the RC Pro compatible with the older drones. The hardware and capacity is there for backward compatible proved with the Mavic Air 2S.
2022-1-3
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think this is the information you're looking for.

He explains all the technicalities of O2 & O3 and the chip sets that DJI are using in RC controllers since the RC-1N.

2022-1-3
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-3 13:36
report it as spam, I did. They have done r=the same in several threads.

Already did.
2022-1-3
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-3 14:02

[view_image]

I have a feeling this is the new incarnation of DJI Vassilij aka DJI Zeng Jong, etc.
2022-1-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-3 14:07
Going back to the topic. I guess this is for marketing strategy. If they make the RC Pro compatible will kill the Smart Controller sales. However, once the smart controller units are sold out in all retailers I am sure they will make the RC Pro compatible with the older drones. The hardware and capacity is there for backward compatible proved with the Mavic Air 2S.

how so?  do you know of an rc pro unit that will fly both the m3 and the ma2s?
2022-1-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's so inscrutable isn't it ;-)
2022-1-3
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-3 20:10
how so?  do you know of an rc pro unit that will fly both the m3 and the ma2s?

Has been proved already. Is just DJI blocking the firmware.
This guy have a technique to install both firmware getting the file from a temp folder DJI create when you open DJI Assistant2. He get the file and push it with another software. He want to charge money over telegram to give you the details he released in the first video he created and then deleted leaving this video omiting the key steps.
By the way. BH photo sells the MA2S with the RC Pro controller with a special firmware that make it compatible with the A2S but not with the M3. That is that the guys is doing,
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1676542-REG/dji_cp_ma_00000369_02_air_2s_fly_more.html

2022-1-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-3 20:52
This guy have a technique to install both firmware getting the file from a temp folder DJI create when you open DJI Assistant2. He get the file and push it with another software. He want to charge money over telegram to give you the details he released in the first video he created and then deleted leaving this video omiting the key steps.
By the way. BH photo sells the MA2S with the RC Pro controller with a special firmware that make it compatible with the A2S but not with the M3. That is that the guys is doing,

i am aware of an rc pro that will fly the ma2 an i am aware of an rc pro that will fly the m3....but not both.  i don't read or speak the chinese language and i didn't see an rc pro in the video flying both....but i'll take your word for it if you saw it  or hear it and believe it.  however, i don't think i'm going to buy the b&h photo combo package in order to get an rc pro to use it with the m3 just yet; im not ready to do any hacking.
2022-1-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there David Martin Graff. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference, once the DJI RC-N1 remote controller has been linked with DJI Mavic 3 aircraft, the DJI RC-N1 remote controller will automatically perform targeted firmware optimization and updating. Just like the DJI RC Pro, the RC-N1 supports O3+ image transmission; 2. In an unobstructed environment free of interference, both controllers can support a maximum transmission range of 15 km with FCC compliance; 3. Both 1080p/60fps transmission and O3+/4G hybrid transmission are fully supported by the two remote controllers. When used with different aircraft hardware configurations, both remote controllers will automatically select the corresponding firmware version for updating and support the following transmission technologies enabled by the hardware performance of the linked aircraft models: ( a. DJI Mini 2/ DJI Mavic Air 2: O2 , b. DJI Air 2S: O3, c. DJI Mavic 3: O3+ ). Thank you.
2022-1-3
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-1-4
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-3 21:26
Hello there David Martin Graff. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference, once the DJI RC-N1 remote controller has been linked with DJI Mavic 3 aircraft, the DJI RC-N1 remote controller will automatically perform targeted firmware optimization and updating. Just like the DJI RC Pro, the RC-N1 supports O3+ image transmission; 2. In an unobstructed environment free of interference, both controllers can support a maximum transmission range of 15 km with FCC compliance; 3. Both 1080p/60fps transmission and O3+/4G hybrid transmission are fully supported by the two remote controllers. When used with different aircraft hardware configurations, both remote controllers will automatically select the corresponding firmware version for updating and support the following transmission technologies enabled by the hardware performance of the linked aircraft models: ( a. DJI Mini 2/ DJI Mavic Air 2: O2 , b. DJI Air 2S: O3, c. DJI Mavic 3: O3+ ). Thank you.

DJI Stephen,
I believe DJI is confusing the customers and contradicting themself. In the manual they state the RC1 controller will support OC2 when paired with the M3 and only the RC Pro will support OC3+ what can explain the test that Ken Herron did in New Jersey when the RC1 controller lose the transmission and the DJI RC Pro maintain the transmission for a long period and distance.

However, does not make sense that DJI is limiting the transmission power having the same S1 chipset. We know is a marketing strategy. DJI state the RC1 controller can support OC3 with the Mavic Air 2S but OC2 with the M3 in the manuals.

Can you tell DJI to be nice and open the support for the RC Pro to both drones and backward compatible as well since the hardware is there and is just locked by the Firmware version?

The most important part. Please DJI needs to be clear in the Manual if they are supporting OC3+ with the RC1 controller because I purchased the RC Pro just because of the OC3+ and the LTE 4G that I will never get in the US.

Thanks DJI Stephen !!!
2022-1-4
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is actually a simple answer here. But most of the differences are marketing not technology.
Occusync as introduced on the Mavic Pro is a 2.4Ghz only signal.

In the Mavic 2 Pro it is Occusync 2.0 and is a dual 2.4Ghz and 5.8 Ghz signal.

In the DJI FPV it is Occusync 3.0 a dual 2.4Ghz and 5.8 Ghz signal but has a low latency transmission rate.

The hardware and signalling is only half the equation. The rest is the Fw and Application functionality.

The Mavic 3 and Air 2s is identical to Occusync 2 but has enhanced FW and application support and completely incompatible with the FPV drone O3.

So it's more about marketing. Everything except the FPV drone could be made compatible by DJI if they so chose.

They would just use the signal frequencies that the individual drone supports. And update the app and FW required.  
2022-1-4
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 1-4 06:08
There is actually a simple answer here. But most of the differences are marketing not technology.
Occusync as introduced on the Mavic Pro is a 2.4Ghz only signal.

All DJI has to do is add the Mavic 3 and Air 2s to the GO 4 Application, enabling practically all of the same settings that the Mavic 2 Pro has, except for the 5.0 for both Active Track and A.P.A.S.

Then we would have a much better release and experience.
2022-1-4
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 1-4 10:43
All DJI has to do is add the Mavic 3 and Air 2s to the GO 4 Application, enabling practically all of the same settings that the Mavic 2 Pro has, except for the 5.0 for both Active Track and A.P.A.S.

We would be able to add the Mavic 2 Pro standard controller, and likely the Smart Controller (unless you need to make use of the HDMI output for video broadcasting on the Smart Controller - why would anybody want to?).
2022-1-4
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

could you please share the test report that shows no bugs no issues from doing this?
2022-1-4
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I personally believe the issue of which drones the SC and RCP connect to is really only limited to the software engineering resources DJI is willing to put towards them.  The SC is getting aged in terms of its hardware and I wouldn't be surprised if the electronics they need to make them are no longer available due to the global chip shortage.  So rather than putting engineering resources to a product that is virtually dead, they are putting all of those resources towards the RCP.  

Although the RCP currently is only limited to connecting to a single drone right now (either M3 or Air2s depending upon how you purchased it), I imagine that is just a short term thing and will be rectified over time.

I believe over time, they will add the Air 2/2S and Mini 2 support to the RCP over time.

In regards to your comments about Fly vs. Go 4, I completely beg to differ! The Fly app is FAR more intuitive to someone new to it than the Go 4 app!  DJI's heiroglyphics in their menus in Go 4 is NOT intuitive at all!  I think most people confuse familiarity with intuitive.  I've been around long enough to remember when it was pretty much agreed upon across the board that Go 4 is too unstable and too complex.

- In the Go 4 app, where do you go to change exposure from Auto to Manual?  Dunno, start clicking around and eventually you'll hit the right one.  In the Fly app, just click the A to switch to M.  
Now you are in M mode, how do I change the White Balance?  In Go 4, good luck to a new user knowing to click into the camera menu, then switch to another tab in the camera menu, then change it.  In Fly, just click at the bottom of the screen and change it.  
- You want to change the RTH height?  In Go 4, you have to click the "..." in the top to get to the main settings, then know to click the little drone looking icon, then scroll to find the setting.  In Fly, click the same "..." menu, then click the tab labeled "Safety" and find it.  

Pretty much anything you want to do in Go 4 requires at least 1 additional click than in the Fly app and you have to be good at understanding DJI's version of hieroglyphics.  

The 1 place the Go 4 app is probably better is the exposure settings screen and I may still disagree there, but I understand why people like the Go 4 version of this better.  That in my opinion is the only place Go 4 from a usability standpoint is better.  

2022-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The Smart controller supports 8 DJI drones, its now old tech and time to move on. Its nothing strange in the tech world. In fact if it supported anymore craft it would be seen as strange. I also agree with kloogee, it would be a step backwards to move air2s or Mavic 3 to go4 app.
2022-1-4
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 1-4 11:29
I personally believe the issue of which drones the SC and RCP connect to is really only limited to the software engineering resources DJI is willing to put towards them.  The SC is getting aged in terms of its hardware and I wouldn't be surprised if the electronics they need to make them are no longer available due to the global chip shortage.  So rather than putting engineering resources to a product that is virtually dead, they are putting all of those resources towards the RCP.  

Although the RCP currently is only limited to connecting to a single drone right now (either M3 or Air2s depending upon how you purchased it), I imagine that is just a short term thing and will be rectified over time.

We're already seeing missing features gradually added back to the FLY app, it will just get better and better for sure.
2022-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Monkey007 Posted at 1-4 12:01
We're already seeing missing features gradually added back to the FLY app, it will just get better and better for sure.

Fully agree, it will improve just as it has since mini 1
2022-1-4
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I personally believe the issue of which drones the SC and RCP connect to is really only limited to the software engineering resources DJI is willing to put towards them.  The SC is getting aged in terms of its hardware and I wouldn't be surprised if the electronics they need to make them are no longer available due to the global chip shortage.  So rather than putting engineering resources to a product that is virtually dead, they are putting all of those resources towards the RCP.  

Although the RCP currently is only limited to connecting to a single drone right now (either M3 or Air2s depending upon how you purchased it), I imagine that is just a short term thing and will be rectified over time.

The real main underlying difference between the Fly and GO 4 app is loss of annonymity in exchange for a rich and detailed interface that has an easier ability to identify the pilot flying one of a bounty of at the time DJI high end drones. When you think about losing the thoroughness and predictability with using the GO 4 application, compared to the annonymity from a loss of featurs with using the Fly app, I don't know why users of drones prefer to fly them clandestinely, but personally, I try not to worry nor tend to overthink the small stuff, based upon an insignificant risk of the probability in causing any problems, and keeping aside from doing your detailed pre-flight checklist, usually there is some level of thoroughness, checking all your gear? Almost my entire record associated with my flying activities hardly ever had any complications, let alone most importantly, I observe the privacy of others and purposely make a rule not to fly my drones too low over homes, or over people, while at the same time, I also make it a priority never to fly high enough in the sky to cause any air traffic concern. If you keep these pointers in mind, you don't have to worry about flying with any annonymity, because no one will care about your drone flying.
2022-1-4
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 1-4 23:18
The real main underlying difference between the Fly and GO 4 app is loss of annonymity in exchange for a rich and detailed interface that has an easier ability to identify the pilot flying one of a bounty of at the time DJI high end drones. When you think about losing the thoroughness and predictability with using the GO 4 application, compared to the annonymity from a loss of featurs with using the Fly app, I don't know why users of drones prefer to fly them clandestinely, but personally, I try not to worry nor tend to overthink the small stuff, based upon an insignificant risk of the probability in causing any problems, and keeping aside from doing your detailed pre-flight checklist, usually there is some level of thoroughness, checking all your gear? Almost my entire record associated with my flying activities hardly ever had any complications, let alone most importantly, I observe the privacy of others and purposely make a rule not to fly my drones too low over homes, or over people, while at the same time, I also make it a priority never to fly high enough in the sky to cause any air traffic concern. If you keep these pointers in mind, you don't have to worry about flying with any annonymity, because no one will care about your drone flying.

Not sure if I'm just having a long day or what, but you've completely lost me.  I've got no idea what you talking about in reference to anonymity in relation to Fly vs Go 4.  Care to help me understand?
2022-1-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-8 13:05
Not sure if I'm just having a long day or what, but you've completely lost me.  I've got no idea what you talking about in reference to anonymity in relation to Fly vs Go 4.  Care to help me understand?

He must be reading too many of AntDX316's posts!!
2022-1-8
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-8 13:15

I really have had a long day.  I thought maybe it was just me that didn't understand what was going on....  
2022-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-8 13:15

2022-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Why would dji want to take a backwards step here. Familiarity breeds contempt, and I think you have it real bad.
2022-1-8
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

g

I believe the choice of drones that the SC and RCP connect to primarily depends on the software engineering resources allocated by DJI. The SC is becoming outdated in terms of hardware, and it's possible that the required electronics are scarce due to the global chip shortage. Instead of investing resources in a product that's nearing the end of its life, DJI appears to be directing these efforts toward the RCP.

I find DJI's decision to abandon the DJI Go 4 application for its newer drones, like the premium Mavic edition, perplexing. This decision comes with a significant price increase, even though the hardware of these new drones doesn't seem commensurate with their software capabilities.

While DJI made improvements to the Fly app, it still doesn't surpass the performance of the Go 4 app for earlier-generation drones. It seems counterproductive to release a drone exclusively compatible with new software, which admittedly has its shortcomings compared to the older, more tested application. This pattern of transitioning to new software right before the end of a drone generation, only to potentially introduce a new, bug-prone application for the next generation, doesn't align with the expectations of drone enthusiasts.

Although we shouldn't let software go to waste, suggesting that earlier-generation drones will outperform upcoming generations could leave enthusiasts feeling like they are part of an earlier, first-mover user base. This could hinder their ability to fully utilize superior hardware technology, turning them into unintentional beta testers for different software versions
2022-3-22
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-8 14:17
Why would dji want to take a backwards step here. Familiarity breeds contempt, and I think you have it real bad.

not necessarily but always possible.
2022-3-22
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 1-3 14:05
Here you go David
https://youtu.be/3XkqGn0HvXA

This is a really good video on the subject. Shame about the presenter though ;).
2022-3-23
Use props
DroneBuffer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 3-23 08:58
This is a really good video on the subject. Shame about the presenter though ;).

But a very Knowledgeable bloke I must say
2022-3-23
Use props
Ratfink11
lvl.1
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 2022-1-3 20:52

Can you get me this guys contact info and or video/youtube link? Or the link to bhphoto?  I will hire him for my own needed programming....  Thankyou for your help....
2023-8-11
Use props
Ratfink11
lvl.1
United States

Zeus-FL

Do you have that guys contact info or link to his youtube channel?  I need to hire him to do some work for my Mavic 2 Pros,  I have several of them... need his help... similar work he did for BHPHOTO.
THANKS
2023-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules