What exactly happens when you "Sync" in DJI Fly?
4226 3 2022-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

Looking for details about what happens when you sync flight records in the DJI Fly app.

I have had no need to (and no interest in) using the "Sync" function in DJI Fly (actually, I never knew about it before today).  AFAIK, there's nothing particularly useful or valuable (to me) in routinely sending data about my flights up to some cloud services, where I have no control over that data.  Maybe I have missed the benefits, but so far, I don't see any benefits to me in always sharing all data.  (I do see how it would benefit DJI to gather all that information from its users.)

Today I was asked by DJI Support to sync my flight records so they can examine them (for a potential warranty or Care Refresh claim).  I've got nothing to hide (well, nothing much...I think) but I try to be careful about sharing personal info on the internets, and I do tend to lean towards privacy (to the extent that one can nowadays, and still have a life).  Before I just connect my phone to some company's website and give them free run to do whatever they please with it, I'd like to find out a bit more about what exactly I should expect to happen if/when I hit that "Sync Flight Data" button.

I understand the basics: the DJI Fly app doesn't just allow me to control my drone; it also collects a vast amount of data.  Presumably the only data it collects are records of my flights -- and to be fair, I am asking them to consider what happened to my drone, so it's reasonable for them to require me to upload flight records.  No argument there.

I was instructed to enable Auto-Sync.  I'm perfectly happy to provide flight data for the fateful flight where I have lost my drone (which may or may not have been caused by pilot error, or maybe some system issue).  I am less comfortable just uploading all the data from every flight I have ever made (they don't really need that), and I'm even less willing to share (with anyone -- nothing personal, DJI) all the flight data from all previous flights and continue to upload data for all future flights (which I assume is what will happen if I leave "Auto-sync" enabled).  From DJI's perspective, I can see how they would benefit from having every user feed them all their flight data forever. Lots of statistics for them to chew on.

So, if I understand the process correctly, what I'm thinking I'd like to do, is this: Remove all data on the phone for all my flights EXCEPT for the flight in question, only leaving data for that one flight (they need that data, that's a perfectly reasonable request). Once I have removed the other flight data (copied to a desktop computer for safekeeping), then turn on Auto sync, send the flight data from that one flight up to their cloud service, where the can examine it carefully.  Once that flight data has synced, I would disable the "Auto-Sync Flight Records" feature.  They would get the data they need to examine that flight, and I wouldn't worry about the International Drone Police knocking my door down some night because I flew over the corner of a schoolyard last summer.

Questions for anyone who has insights to offer...

I have already copied all the items from my iPhone from Files / DJI Fly (and also everything from Files / DJI Pilot , though I don't think I've ever launched that app).  I have preserved a copy of those fliles on a desktop computer (Mac).  If I delete all the items under  Files / DJI Fly from the phone, does that get them all -- or are there any other places I need to look for more?

Once I have removed all those files (everything except for the files associated with the one flight in question), then I tell it to Auto-Sync, will it have any trouble because of the "missing" flight data?  (It does maintain a count of your flights, so if it says I have made 75 flights but only finds data for one, will that be an issue)?

Assuming that works, and DJI successfully receives the flight data I want to share, after that, I suppose I can simply turn off Auto-Sync, and things will continue to work smoothly (that is, until my drone crashes into some hillside and I need to go through this again...).

I know some will roll their eyes at the idea of jumping through hoops to prevent all the flight data from syncing.  I just prefer to only share what's really needed, rather than giving it all away without question.

Does the above make sense (from a technical standpoint)?  Anything I have not anticipated or got wrong?  Better ideas?

Thanks for your insights.

2022-1-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Your stats show up here.
2022-1-4
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-4 01:11
Your stats show up here.

Which ones?  All stats, every flight? (I'm skeptical about that)  Or only those that have been synced or (otherwise shared)?

I am guessing that the flight data logs on my phone do not get copied up to the cloud, unless I explicitly share them (or if I've left "Auto Sync" on)...no?  ("What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"...)

If all flight data for every flight always is shared without specifically asking me first, I'd like to know about that. (That does not sound plausible to me, I assume there would be a lot of pushback if that was the case; also it doesn't make sense: when people post about troubles here, they are always asked to upload the flight log to one of the analytical services...maybe our friend @Montfrooij is just making a joke).

Not that I have anything to hide ...but some day I might!   
2022-1-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Burstmode Posted at 1-4 08:19
Which ones?  All stats, every flight? (I'm skeptical about that)  Or only those that have been synced or (otherwise shared)?

I am guessing that the flight data logs on my phone do not get copied up to the cloud, unless I explicitly share them (or if I've left "Auto Sync" on)...no?  ("What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"...)

Your stats show up on the forum after syncing.
Flight distance in ft.
And you flight statistics are shared with DJI when you sync.

I'm not sure which details are shared, but judging by the amount of data they transfer, it could very well be a lot of the flight log.
But that data is probably unavailable to the forum staff, so they have to ask for the flight log (possibly that contains more data, but most likely because they are not allowed to have this data from the server)

Long story short : if you don't want others to know where you were : don't use tech products / services that have some kind of connection with a network.
In the end all big tech companies want to know how their products / services are being used.
That is valuable information for them, not only because of the user behind the buttons, but also for data analytics.

I write software and log a lot of activities from the users, just to see what is going on and what could be improved.
I don't need the personal user info, just what he/she is doing and how long (for example) it takes to perform certain tasks.
I monitor this on a larger scale to see where I have work to do in my code.

2022-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules