Horizontal mounting
3275 9 2022-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is it possible to mount the camera (with module) horizontally and still capture standard 16:9 landscape footage (without having to use Horizon Lock etc)??? From my experimentation it always captures portrait video, which isnt what I want.....

I cant find any option to set orientation before shooting other then orientation lock, which still records portrait when the camera (with module) is turned so its horizontal and not vertical???

2022-1-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The sensor is 4:3 I imagine so when you turn it sideways, there are not enough pixels to provide 16:9 4K in that orientation.  See this video for examples of orientation -

2022-1-6
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I dont get it - it is able to provide enough pixels in that orientation when horizon lock is enabled, so why cant it auro-orientate and provide a standard 16:9 image in the horizontal position too?I think its more software rather then a hardware limitation. If it were hardware then it wouldnt be able to capture 16:9 in Horizonlock mode either.
2022-1-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ah, I thought you didn't want to use horizon lock as it only offers 2.7K - I haven't experimented with lower resolutions without horizon lock.
2022-1-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI - maybe in the next firmware update you can provide this functionality as an option users can turn on or off in settings??

In essence I would like the camera to reorientate automatically so the captured image is always in standard 16:9 format, WITHOUT having to enable HorizonSteady.......
2022-2-4
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

I would really like to know if this is possible too.  I would much rather put the camera+module sideway if I put it on a hat mount versus having it vertically mounted.  

The option for enabling HorizonSteady doesn't seem like the best answer.  Hopefully this comes in a future firmware update.
2022-2-14
Use props
roymeo
lvl.1
United States

You don't want to look like Dipsy the Teletubbie with the camera mounted like a horn?

It appears HorizonSteady + less-than-4k is the only way to do this, I did some experimentation documented in another thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 110&pid=2681743 , But I was also getting confused with the (new?) HorizonBalalancing feature which is available even at 4k, too.
2022-2-24
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The new HorizonSteady Balancing will allow you to shoot in 4K, but only balances the horizon up to 45 degrees either side, since it doesn't need to crop into the frame as much.

HorizonSteady is 2.7k and below only, but allows full 360 degree rotation.
2022-2-25
Use props
djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D
lvl.4
New Zealand

It might be easier to come up with an adapter that “moves” the pins from the bottom to the side of the lens unit and connects to the base. Some cages already have pins pass-throughs…

That will give you the full resolution and stabilization options instead of having to sacrifice image quality.

I’d prefer to be able to stack the base unit behind the lens, blocking the screen, but having a better profile to mount the camera on the side of a helmet/goggles.
2022-2-26
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Or have a kind of extension lead so you could have the screen unit in your hand and the camera unit on your head.  Technically I don't see why that shouldn't be possible.
2022-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules