796 21 2022-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barramundi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 128 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone else wish the Mini2 could be controlled directly from the Smartphone to take it more places ? No RC needed.

Of all the features I wish the Mini 2 had, this would be my favorite.
Put just the Mini 2 in a pocket and off you go.
Another three advantages is discretion, no one knows you are flying a drone, faster, simpler deployment and also leaves the smartphone port free to use for an HDMI connection to Goggles.
I love that feature in my DJI Spark, why not in the Mini 2?
Please DJI, add that feature so the Mini can live up to its portability marketing hype.
Hide it from inexperience users if safety was the concern it was not implemented with this mini drone.

Mini2 vs Spark size comparizon.

Mini2 vs Spark size comparizon.
2022-1-6
Use props
srdyiop
lvl.3
United States

Just have a chip inplanted in your brain and leave your phone at home...
2022-1-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What would be the control range when using a phone as the controller?
2022-1-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-6 12:53

About 50 feet.
What he is asking for is a toy, not a real drone.
2022-1-6
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-6 12:53

With my DJI Spark I can get up to 2,000 feet with line of sight in a city environment using my Iphone 13, no RC, which is plenty, most shots require less distance.
2022-1-6
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

srdyiop Posted at 1-6 12:44
Just have a chip inplanted in your brain and leave your phone at home...

Actually, the Spark can be controlled without a Phone or controller, just with body Gestures.
But I found that unreliable and very limiting for most cases.
2022-1-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Barramundi Posted at 1-6 13:26
With my DJI Spark I can get up to 2,000 feet with line of sight in a city environment using my Iphone 13, no RC, which is plenty, most shots require less distance.

2000 ft? I thought you'd be lucky to get 200ft with only the smart phone and no remote
2022-1-6
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 1-6 13:38
2000 ft? I thought you'd be lucky to get 200ft with only the smart phone and no remote

Yes, 2000 ft, it has been my record.
But the point is, the distance with the smartphone is plenty  enough for casual selfies, quick panoramas, etc. Most of the things I shoot casually are less than 500 feet away.
If and when I need more than that I’d bring the RC.

1,700 feet with Smartphone, no RC

1,700 feet with Smartphone, no RC
2022-1-6
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1838077 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Barramundi Posted at 1-6 14:52
Yes, 2000 ft, it has been my record.
But the point is, the distance with the smartphone is plenty  enough for casual selfies, quick panoramas, etc. Most of the things I shoot casually are less than 500 feet away.
If and when I need more than that I’d bring the RC.

I miss it as well.
Would work very well together with followme where the drone always is in close range.

And the remote is way to big...
2022-1-6
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Mats Bohlinsson Posted at 1-6 14:59
I miss it as well.
Would work very well together with followme where the drone always is in close range.

Exactly, not all the drone filming have to be done far away or whiz-bang moves.
You can set the Mini or the Spark fixed hovering in place while recording an event, just like a Tripod but without the hassle. For that, just the Smartphone as RC is good enough.
2022-1-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's not bad.
2022-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Barramundi. Good day and thank you for sharing these information and your valued insights with regards to this matter. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you and have a nice day.
2022-1-6
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 19:59
Hello there Barramundi. Good day and thank you for sharing these information and your valued insights with regards to this matter. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you and have a nice day.

Thank you, I'm sure they thought about it when planning the Mini features, but I hope they reconsider this time to make this a truly portable drone.
2022-1-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Barramundi Posted at 1-6 20:22
Thank you, I'm sure they thought about it when planning the Mini features, but I hope they reconsider this time to make this a truly portable drone.

He is not cascading anything ;-) He means "well" but no.

To answer your question. I think they want a standard controller, and phones are way too variable in design now. I can't imagine a high speed drone being controlled by any random mobile device effectively.

2022-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd settle for the gestures being included.
2022-1-7
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-6 20:28
He is not cascading anything ;-) He means "well" but no.

To answer your question. I think they want a standard controller, and phones are way too variable in design now. I can't imagine a high speed drone being controlled by any random mobile device effectively.

DJI had that feature for the Spark and some Mavic models.
The DJI Go4 App has it, as well as Litchi and many others Drone apps.
Thousands of games for Android and iOS have Virtual Joysticks, which is how you control it, no problem.
So I think the reason was probably safety, since it requires more practice to use Virtual Joysticks.
But the whole concept of mobile phones is that they are portable so people carry them everywhere.
They have been designed from the start to work well enough just with the touch screen.
Sure, optionally,  you can always attach a keyboard, a pen, headphones or bring a physical joystick to play video games better, but it is done at the cost of portability.
DJI should let the users take that decision according to their use cases and preferences by giving us back that option, especially for the Mini series.
2022-1-7
Use props
djiuser_pzJXMav115XV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30581 ft
United States

The controller provides range, bidirectional communications bandwidth. I have a very old one that is controlled only by the phone and it is limited to standard wifi range, maybe a few hundred feet at best.
2022-1-7
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_pzJXMav115XV Posted at 1-7 18:01
The controller provides range, bidirectional communications bandwidth. I have a very old one that is controlled only by the phone and it is limited to standard wifi range, maybe a few hundred feet at best.
That range limit was set by the DJI app for safety, but the wifi direct link could go farther than that as many people did show later and per my experience.

The wifi direct link is meant for portability, deployment  speed, convenience, casual use, turn on the drone, take a selfie, done. It is not meant as a replacement for a dedicated RC.
2022-1-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Barramundi Posted at 1-6 20:22

Hi there Barramundi. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information. Again, thank you for your valued support and have a nice day.
2022-1-9
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-9 21:52
Hi there Barramundi. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information. Again, thank you for your valued support and have a nice day.

Hi Stephen, I just attached an image to the original post to illustrate what I am talking about.
Thanks for your attention and hope DJI give us the choice to fly the Mini2 with just the Smartphone.
2022-1-10
Use props
Famous
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22790906 ft
United States

No, and why did you make two threads for the same topic?
2022-1-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bullpoop...

The max transmission range while flying Spark with your phone over WiFi is 100 m (262 ft) distance and 50 m (164 ft) height.
Phone wifi is a max of 100m, they are not big enough for extended wifi capabilities and to be honest, there is no real reason for them to have either. You are basically after a kiddies toy, the spark really wasn't much more than that, hence i had no interest, and to be fair, i wasn't interested in the Mini 2 either until i found out about them not being limited to where they can be flow, anyway, how about a Parrot AR? ;)

2022-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules