Altitude Zone
769 13 2022-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

What exactly is it?  Airnav says "This is a normal message with no risk and no impact on safety."  Is it related to GPS?  Here is a link to a flight log, select notifications.  Any feedback is appreciated on these entries and how they relate to what I need to know vs. what I really don't.  Still trying to learn this stuff.  Just now looking at logs.

https://app.airdata.com/share/ZtLzfc

2022-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It has nothing to do with GPS.
It relates to a nearby airport or flight path.
You should not be flying in a zero altitude zone.
You need to find out about local flight restrictions, where you can an can't fly and the relative altitude limits.
2022-1-9
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-9 01:57
It has nothing to do with GPS.
It relates to a nearby airport or flight path.
You should not be flying in a zero altitude zone.

No flight restrictions where I'm flying.  I can read a sectional.  Not that locals can dictate where one flies.......that would be the FAA and they say I can fly here.  All locals can do here in the US is dictate where one can take off and land.  Locals have no authority over the actual airspace.  That's all federal (FAA).
Closest restricted area is a jail about 2 miles away.  Everything else around me is uncontrolled, unrestricted airspace up to a certain altitude of course.

Why then would it say I'm at over 200ft but in an altitude=0 zone, when B4UFLY (an officially endorsed FAA app) says there are no such restrictions on altitude?
2022-1-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dr6583 Posted at 1-9 02:47
No flight restrictions where I'm flying.  I can read a sectional.  Not that locals can dictate where one flies.......that would be the FAA and they say I can fly here.  All locals can do here in the US is dictate where one can take off and land.  Locals have no authority over the actual airspace.  That's all federal (FAA).
Closest restricted area is a jail about 2 miles away.  Everything else around me is uncontrolled, unrestricted airspace up to a certain altitude of course.

I don't know where you are or what restrictions might be applicable there.
I'm just telling you what an altitude zone is.

And I'm puzzled at why you talk about residents dictating etc.
I can't see what that has to do with anything.
2022-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Your log shows Altitude Zone 394 ft - the is DJI limiting you to 394ft.   You can check the DJI Flysafe map to see what zone they think it is and complain if its wrong to flysafe@dji.com - https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/geo-map
2022-1-9
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-9 03:24
I don't know where you are or what restrictions might be applicable there.
I'm just telling you what an altitude zone is.

Thank you for the sincere reply. I am in the US. For clarification by "locals" I mean local governments, cities, towns, etc. When you say you don’t know what regulations and restrictions I am under, what I am trying to convey is there is no local authority that governs this. All airspace in the US falls under Federal jurisdiction (FAA). All one needs to do is understand what classification of airspace they are in, check for restricted areas, and such.  Much of this can be found on a sectional chart. If in controlled airspace the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) has provided us with simple tools to file for and obtain clearance.

It was just a knee jerk response to the suggestion I check my local regulations and flight restrictions. Your response gave me the impression, since the log showed I was at one time in altitude=0, that you believed I was in violation of something.

I really do appreciate your response to the alt zone question.  Now I understand better what it is.
2022-1-9
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 06:22
Your log shows Altitude Zone 394 ft - the is DJI limiting you to 394ft.   You can check the DJI Flysafe map to see what zone they think it is and complain if its wrong to  - https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/geo-map

Thanks for that!  So it had nothing to do with my max altitude setting of the same in the Fly app?
2022-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dr6583 Posted at 1-9 08:42
Thanks for that!  So it had nothing to do with my max altitude setting of the same in the Fly app?

No,   You'd see a line at the top of the screen and an audible warning that the altitude had changed,   Anything over 400ft annoys me a lot as were not supposed to exceed that here.  Check the DJi map above and see if there is a zone where you are that they are prompting you for.
2022-1-9
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 08:49
No,   You'd see a line at the top of the screen and an audible warning that the altitude had changed,   Anything over 400ft annoys me a lot as were not supposed to exceed that here.  Check the DJi map above and see if there is a zone where you are that they are prompting you for.

Will do!  Thanks.
2022-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dr6583 Posted at 1-9 08:52
Will do!  Thanks.

No probs dr6583.  The other thing you can do when you out in the field is look at the map view,  if there are grey or yellowy/orange areas these indicate zones too.
2022-1-9
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 08:54
No probs dr6583.  The other thing you can do when you out in the field is look at the map view,  if there are grey or yellowy/orange areas these indicate zones too.

Yes, I have noticed that.  The jail I mentioned is there.  Funny that the only restricted area is the jail itself, I mean literally the outline of the building.  It's as if you can fly in the parking lot but not over the building itself :-).  This also shows up on B4UFLY which I check before every flight.  No other restricted areas or "zones" that I see in the immediate vicinity.  Thanks for the map link...I'll be using it.

I'll have more questions as I start to explore these logs more,,,,,,,thank you in advance for the help and have a great day/night depending on your locale!

2022-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dr6583 Posted at 1-9 11:01
Yes, I have noticed that.  The jail I mentioned is there.  Funny that the only restricted area is the jail itself, I mean literally the outline of the building.  It's as if you can fly in the parking lot but not over the building itself :-).  This also shows up on B4UFLY which I check before every flight.  No other restricted areas or "zones" that I see in the immediate vicinity.  Thanks for the map link...I'll be using it.

I'll have more questions as I start to explore these logs more,,,,,,,thank you in advance for the help and have a great day/night depending on your locale!

Did you turn on the other Warning Zones,  under the map there are two checks for Enhanced Warning Zones, and Warning Zones.

Most prisons are NFZ for obvious reasons,   flying the parking lot wouldn't really help the criminals.
2022-1-10
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-10 01:46
Did you turn on the other Warning Zones,  under the map there are two checks for Enhanced Warning Zones, and Warning Zones.

Most prisons are NFZ for obvious reasons,   flying the parking lot wouldn't really help the criminals.

Thanks for that info.  No, I had not turned them on until now.  Yes, there is a warning zone around a small field I am aware of.  I have been steering clear of it.  Actually my A2S has never flown that far from my home point in blue.  Can't find a scale on the map to determine actual distance to the zone, but I know I have not entered it because the furthest I have flown it is to Kissling Crossing and as you can see that is not as far away as the warning zone.  Could it be I came "close" enough to the warning zone that day for DJI to log it?

Another question:  The log entry said altitude zone (0 ft.). I see no "altitude" zones (in grey) anywhere near me.  Just those warning zones and enhanced warning zones.  Thanks.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 10.41.51 PM.png
2022-1-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dr6583 Posted at 1-10 20:53
Thanks for that info.  No, I had not turned them on until now.  Yes, there is a warning zone around a small field I am aware of.  I have been steering clear of it.  Actually my A2S has never flown that far from my home point in blue.  Can't find a scale on the map to determine actual distance to the zone, but I know I have not entered it because the furthest I have flown it is to Kissling Crossing and as you can see that is not as far away as the warning zone.  Could it be I came "close" enough to the warning zone that day for DJI to log it?

Another question:  The log entry said altitude zone (0 ft.). I see no "altitude" zones (in grey) anywhere near me.  Just those warning zones and enhanced warning zones.  Thanks.

The 0ft zone is a bit odd really,  maybe a glitch.
2022-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules