Pocket 2 Audio Noise with Built-in Mics
3045 15 2022-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jlmorgan84
lvl.1
United States

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Pocket 2 and have been testing it out this week. I'm having some trouble witht the audio. I'm getting what sounds like constant electronic interference noise while using the built-in mics. It's like a low level distortion or rumble in the background. If I'm recording something loud it's not noticeable, but the moment I stop talking or the sound stops...there it is...it loud enough to render the audio unusable.

I have the automatic gain and wind reduction turned off, sound levels set to "moderate." I'm not covering up any of the mics with my fingers and my environment is not overly noisy. I have the creator combo, so the do-it-all handle is attached but I'm not using the wireless mic. At this point if the built-in mics don't work I don't know that I'll even get to it.

Anyone have any help you could offer? I'm still within the return window so trying to decide if I need to send it back. I like the other features well enough that I'd like to keep it, but bad audio is a deal-breaker for me.
2022-1-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

That's not a question which can be answered without a sample of what you are referring to.
2022-1-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought a used P2 and have been using it for quite some time.  I'm not getting any of the noise you are referring to from the built in mics.  

Maybe post a video showcasing the audio issue you are having and somebody may well be able to help.  Hope you get it worked out as the P2 is a great little device.
2022-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jlmorgan84. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a short sample video with the said audio for us to be able to assess and can give out the best solution for this issue. Thank you.
2022-1-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With your observations in mind, I took my P2 along the quiet canal through the local countryside, and recorded some speech with pauses inbetween, just using the default settings, internal mic, and the P2 on its Do-it-All handle at about arm's length.  Apart from the continuous ambient noise (low background sounds from the countryside) no unexpected noise is audible. I've not yet used the external mic at all.
2022-1-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Can you share an example?
2022-1-14
Use props
fansb429a24e
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everyone for your help, and sorry for taking so long to reply. Below is a link to a few seconds of footage of a local church service filmed with my Pocket 2. Listen to the oscillating buzzing/humming noise in the background.

https://youtu.be/k1CsqKsHkfk
2022-2-13
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

fansb429a24e Posted at 2-13 10:13
Thanks everyone for your help, and sorry for taking so long to reply. Below is a link to a few seconds of footage of a local church service filmed with my Pocket 2. Listen to the oscillating buzzing/humming noise in the background.

There is indeed some noise but doesnt look like interference instead it looks some machine or elecronic product is making that ambient noise in the enviroment which the pocket 2 camera is recording. I have this noise too when I am in silent area but close to electronic devices.

2022-2-13
Use props
fansb429a24e
lvl.1
United States

Ranjan Posted at 2-13 17:23
https://youtu.be/k1CsqKsHkfk

There is indeed some noise but doesnt look like interference instead it looks some machine or elecronic product is making that ambient noise in the enviroment which the pocket 2 camera is recording. I have this noise too when I am in silent area but close to electronic devices.

Thanks for your help. The buzz/hum isn't present in the environment in this clip. I get it to varying degrees in every clip I film with my Pocket 2.  The only electronics present are my Pocket 2 and android phone (which is controlling the camera through the Mimo App)
2022-2-13
Use props
djiuser_WiP5tniR8K4w
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I know your pain. I have tried using a wireless system with it. A good expensive one at that. I have had success with using a lav mic, but that is about it.
2022-2-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If you could now post a sample from a closed, silent room it would then be possible to compare the two unrelated samples and identify what noise is present in both.
2022-2-14
Use props
yia.z
lvl.1
Netherlands

exactly the same problem here. did you figure out what it is and what causes it? any solutions?
2022-11-1
Use props
djiuser_64Mk8zie295o
New
Saudi Arabia

i didn't heard any sound from my p2 after updated V 01.03.00.10.

i got more noises when i connected DJI external mic. Please do need full.
2023-2-26
Use props
CyberRiyas
New
Saudi Arabia

Hi Mate, i'm having same issues like i didn't heard any sound from my p2 after updated V 01.03.00.10.  i got more noises when i connected DJI external mic. And I have the creator combo too.
2023-2-26
Use props
Figishe
New

Serbia

Same issue here, I'm using pocket 2 with no do-it-all handle and no external mic attached.

Audio settings are:
Channel - stereo
Volume - max
Wind noise reduction - off
Directional audio - all

Firmware: 01.03.00.10
Camera firmware: 0.00.00.01 01.30.54.86

Below are 2 samples in the exact same env, one having clear sound which turns into noise right at the end, and one having constant noise issue.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y3qCiHMNtuY (at the end)
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ToVrHNzAe8c (constant)

Any help appreciated.
2023-4-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hmmm.  The first sample is mono until the noise appears at the end - at which point the sound becomes stereo.  If that happened without any other known reason, I would atttibute it to some kind of hardware defect.  The second sample is stereo, with the noise, throughout but it sounds to me as if the stereo image is somewhat unbalanced - again, seems like a defect in this particular camera.  But see what others (including hopefully DJI) have to suggest.
2023-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules