6682 14 2022-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
reeza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 424698 ft
Australia

Hi.

Can anyone clarify why the Mini SE is missing basic camera software features like RAW, AEB and Panorama modes? I can't seem to find evidence of it being a hardware limitation, and it appears to be more marketing decision to separate the Mini SE further and Mini 2. With the release of the SDK and looking at what the Litchi application can do with the Mini SE, I believe it's the latter.

I hope DJI will continue updating and adding the many missing software-dependent features the Mini SE is missing and not kick the Mini SE to the wastebasket because it's an entry-level drone. Surely they must realise the Mini SE will get people like myself to justify and buy our first drone, and this experience will determine our future purchases.

Cheers.
2022-1-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can anyone clarify why the Mini SE is missing basic camera software features like RAW, AEB and Panorama modes?
As the original Mini never had those features and teh Mini SE is based on the original, it would be unrealistic to expect those features to be added in the future.
What makes you sure it's not a hardware limitation?

2022-1-10
Use props
reeza
lvl.1
Australia

Hey Labroides. I was looking for clarification because I can't be 100% certain. AEB and Pana are both available in Litchi with the SDK software; as for RAW, that could be a limit with the CPU. Not sure I 100% agree that because the original Mini never had those features, a newer model should never have them either.

Cheers.
2022-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there reeza. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future update for the DJI Mini SE. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2022-1-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its deliberate,   so separate the products to get you to speed more money.
2022-1-11
Use props
reeza
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks, DAFlys.

While I can understand separating features in product lines, and on a hardware level, they already have done this. Simple things at the very least like panorama and AEB for a Drone really should be included as a staple item in this day and age.

Thankfully we are starting to see more competition to just DJI these days, hopefully, their marketing will take note, not to software block every feature just because.
2022-1-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 1-11 01:27

The idea that the smallest, cheapest drones could have all the features of more expensive drones, but DJI is holding them back is a very simplistic and naive one.
2022-1-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

reeza Posted at 1-11 14:21
Thanks, DAFlys.

While I can understand separating features in product lines, and on a hardware level, they already have done this. Simple things at the very least like panorama and AEB for a Drone really should be included as a staple item in this day and age.

Thankfully we are starting to see more competition to just DJI these days, hopefully, their marketing will take note, not to software block every feature just because.
If you want a drone with those features, why buy a cheap, entry level model that doesn't have those features?
If you buy a cheap small car, would you complain that the manufacturer should make it perform the same as a larger, more expensive model?

2022-1-11
Use props
aairon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72831 ft

United States

I'm not complaining, I knew that the mini se I was buying was electronically castrated by DJI for several reasons I suspect.
I do believe one being that features like 'follow' and 'active tracking' on drones without obstacal avoidence will no doubt result in many more drones getting tangled in tree branches and the resulting damage/flyaway claims, also it is obviously related to marketing decisions.
The drones can do much more then even Litchi and Dronelink will allow.
They are still severely limited by the castrated SDK that DJI provides. It's available for all to look at.
We're moving into a new consumer electronic world that's never been seen before.
The way the manufacturing, design, and marketing are moving there are bound to be more instances of companies using software locks in order to offer a broad product line, soon it will be one or two main boards used in XX number of models with simple programmed locks as the offerings get cheaper, the ancillary electronics will be the only real difference in manufacturing cost IE larger motors better optics etc. Mind you they can and are, also castrating the sub modules such as making 4k cameras into 2k in the board level firmware (I'm not implying DJI is doing this, do your own research.).
Oh well I'm old and really DGAF anymore I'll roll along and work around DJI as best I can.
Spare me your indignation I've heard it before, use your efforts trying to convert someone else.

2022-1-11
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-11 01:27

The most accurate statement I've seen in this thread lol.
2022-1-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

aairon Posted at 1-11 19:51
I'm not complaining, I knew that the mini se I was buying was electronically castrated by DJI for several reasons I suspect.
I do believe one being that features like 'follow' and 'active tracking' on drones without obstacal avoidence will no doubt result in many more drones getting tangled in tree branches and the resulting damage/flyaway claims, also it is obviously related to marketing decisions.
The drones can do much more then even Litchi and Dronelink will allow.

Spare me your indignation I've heard it before, use your efforts trying to convert someone else.
The reason you’ve heard it before is that it’s obvious and true.
You want more, pay more and get what you really want instead of wallowing in a cargo cult, conspiracy theory mindset.
2022-1-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

reeza Posted at 1-11 14:21
Thanks, DAFlys.

While I can understand separating features in product lines, and on a hardware level, they already have done this. Simple things at the very least like panorama and AEB for a Drone really should be included as a staple item in this day and age.

The SE was brought in to compete with the cheaper drones the likes of Fimi are selling,   if they included all the features at that price point very few would pay extra for the Mini2 or better drones.  Its pure marketing.
2022-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

aairon Posted at 1-11 19:59
The most accurate statement I've seen in this thread lol.

Yep Marketing 101.
2022-1-12
Use props
aairon
lvl.2

United States

Labroides Posted at 1-11 22:03
The reason you’ve heard it before is that it’s obvious and true.
You want more, pay more and get what you really want instead of wallowing in a cargo cult, conspiracy theory mindset.

Good luck with your drone flying :-)
2022-1-12
Use props
fans43f7ed75
New

United Kingdom

I've just bought the se combo and it's a great little drone for the money with really great video and pictures, stability is great even in a decent breeze. I think you can add the litchi app which adds more features like follow me and plotting. It's £21.so pretty reasonable I think.
Like anything you get what you pay for and obstacle avoidance on a 250g drone shouldn't be required, I doubt it would work with small twigs etc which would take a small drone out.
2022-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules