Best DJI drone for night filming
763 14 2022-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spursberry
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi

I have been approached by a regular client to film at night by drone.

I currently own the Mavic Air 2 and obviously, it's not capable of capturing night footage.

I appreciate night filming depends heavily on what is being filmed and where etc

However, let's say I'm filming roads at night, what would be the best drone for this? Mavic, Phantom, Inspire? Or are none of them good enough to film at night with a 'pro' out come?

Many thanks

Chris
2022-1-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

let's say I'm filming roads at night, what would be the best drone for this? Mavic, Phantom, Inspire? Or are none of them good enough to film at night with a 'pro' out come?

It all depends on what you are filming and you still haven't given enough information to give a proper answer.
But a good general rule is that the bigger the sensor, the better its low light performance.
2022-1-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As your in the UK,  you might find that what you film is the issue,  the heavier drones are more capable but have to be some distance now from people/buildings etc.
2022-1-12
Use props
Spursberry
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-11 13:59
let's say I'm filming roads at night, what would be the best drone for this? Mavic, Phantom, Inspire? Or are none of them good enough to film at night with a 'pro' out come?

It all depends on what you are filming and you still haven't given enough information to give a proper answer.

Thank you Labroides. It's obviosuly hard to say everything I may film, but the job I've had come up this week was to film street lights from above, so the company have installed new lights down a road, and want to show them lit up from above... i.e the pools of light on the floor. We can all imagine the beautiful Hollywood image they have in their head and I'm very aware they won't get that. But my Mavic Air 2 is just dead in this situation.

For more light source info I'd say imagine a housing estate or filming the main road, I'd like to see the twinkling of lights, cars driving down illuminated roads.

Finally, the main thing is: is there a drone out there (that's not an insane price / bespoke build) that can capture a road with street lights on - be it a main road, a country lane or a housing estate.
2022-1-12
Use props
Spursberry
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-12 01:27
As your in the UK,  you might find that what you film is the issue,  the heavier drones are more capable but have to be some distance now from people/buildings etc.

It's a great point... please see my above reply for more info.

Thank you for info so far :-)
2022-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spursberry Posted at 1-12 01:32
It's a great point... please see my above reply for more info.

Thank you for info so far :-)

Then I think legally you are going to need a mini2 + strobes,   
2022-1-12
Use props
Spursberry
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-12 01:35
Then I think legally you are going to need a mini2 + strobes,

Thank you

Although doesn't that have a smaller sensor than Air 2?

I used (couple of nights ago)  my air 2, ISO etc maxed out and with a top fitted strobe and it was no good
2022-1-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Spursberry Posted at 1-12 01:32
Thank you Labroides. It's obviosuly hard to say everything I may film, but the job I've had come up this week was to film street lights from above, so the company have installed new lights down a road, and want to show them lit up from above... i.e the pools of light on the floor. We can all imagine the beautiful Hollywood image they have in their head and I'm very aware they won't get that. But my Mavic Air 2 is just dead in this situation.

For more light source info I'd say imagine a housing estate or filming the main road, I'd like to see the twinkling of lights, cars driving down illuminated roads.

That doesn't sound too demanding.
It might be that your existing drone would handle it well enough.
Try a some test flights and see how it turns out.
2022-1-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Spursberry Posted at 1-12 01:59
Thank you

I used (couple of nights ago)  my air 2, ISO etc maxed out and with a top fitted strobe and it was no good.

What was the issue that made things unsatisfactory?
I take it you are producing video?
Post a couple of screenshots and it would help to give direction for improvement.
2022-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spursberry Posted at 1-12 01:59
Thank you

Yes but from your description you need to be able to overly people and property so the only way to be legal is sub 250 grams.
2022-1-12
Use props
Spursberry
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-12 02:15
I used (couple of nights ago)  my air 2, ISO etc maxed out and with a top fitted strobe and it was no good.

What was the issue that made things unsatisfactory?

I think I may have just clicked why... and it's rather embarrassing! I'm going to do a test later when it gets dark... but I've a feeling the ND filter was on... I am writing this because I'm caught bang to rights and want to relish in the embarrassment ha ha - I will confirm if this is true once I open my drone up later

boy oh boy ha ha ha
2022-1-12
Use props
Spursberry
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Spursberry Posted at 1-12 04:20
I think I may have just clicked why... and it's rather embarrassing! I'm going to do a test later when it gets dark... but I've a feeling the ND filter was on... I am writing this because I'm caught bang to rights and want to relish in the embarrassment ha ha - I will confirm if this is true once I open my drone up later

boy oh boy ha ha ha

You're right - luckly I already have the Mini, so will take that with me! See above for possible answer to my issue oops lol
2022-1-12
Use props
Spursberry
lvl.1

United Kingdom

NIght flight test went well yesterday! Much improved - thank you both
2022-1-14
Use props
PhillyDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694633 ft
  • >>>
United States

As someone who specializes in night flying, it depends on how much ambient light you have.

If you're filming in a city and the ambient light is very high, or even above a large interstate highway in an urban environment, then the DJI drones will do well - although you still will likely need to use noise reduction in post.

However, if you're filming in a rural location, secondary road, or even suburban neighborhood where ambient light is low, then forget it - don't even bother.   Signal to noise ratio is your friend - if you only have small areas of light in your frame, then the rest of the frame will all be noise.

2022-1-14
Use props
Spursberry
lvl.1

United Kingdom

PhillyDrone Posted at 1-14 06:56
As someone who specializes in night flying, it depends on how much ambient light you have.

If you're filming in a city and the ambient light is very high, or even above a large interstate highway in an urban environment, then the DJI drones will do well - although you still will likely need to use noise reduction in post.

Outstanding - thank you

2022-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules