4122 26 2022-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Norfolk Terrier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46493 ft
United Kingdom

Greetings.
Can the 2 way charging pack be used with a car usb socket?  
Or what do you guys use to charge when on the move?  I only have 2 batteries and have to call it a day when both batteries are flat so Im looking for the best way to charge in a car.
2022-1-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Norfolk Terrier. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory/charger to charge your DJI Mini 2 through DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub ( https://store.dji.com/product/mini-2-two-way-charging-hub ) . I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members who owns the DJI Mini 2 and are using the said car charger. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories/charger to charge your DJI Mini 2's intelligent flight battery. There is a  possibility that these chargers will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said chargers when in use. In addition, using 3rd party car chargers might cause damage or harm on your DJI Mini 2 and can void the warranty as well. Thank you.
2022-1-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I cant see a car USB being strong enough for any meaningful charge, i bet ya lucky if they are a 1amp socket, spouse it will depend on the make of car, some might be a 2amp, so that's 24w, not brill but should charge it at the standard speed, 1amp will only charge at 12w. I bought a cig light plugin, one of these and it gives me fast charging, pretty darn quick
2022-1-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Can the 2 way charging pack be used with a car usb socket? "

Yes of course. Might not be optimal.
2022-1-13
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

No problem, you can connect the USB to an outlet in the car.
Check in the manual of the car, some outlets can be power outlets especially to charge phone and other things.
2022-1-13
Use props
Norfolk Terrier
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cheers guys.  What I meant was, is the USB of the car powerfull enough to charge.  
Bashy thanks for that mate that seems perfect, ill order one today!
2022-1-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Norfolk Terrier Posted at 1-13 21:15
Cheers guys.  What I meant was, is the USB of the car powerfull enough to charge.  
Bashy thanks for that mate that seems perfect, ill order one today!

I thought thats what ya meant, it will charge it but depending on the amperage, probably not fast enough.

For example, Ford Focus ST 2014 USB is only 500ma, now that ain't gonna charge an old Galaxy Note 3 sufficiently let alone a Mini 2 Battery.

Granted, they are not all like that and it will depend on your car, so you really could do with looking into it further before buying something else. Although, i bought that charger because it can fast charge the battery in the AC and 1 in the hub at the same time
2022-1-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A USB charger for the cigarette lighter socket perhaps?
2022-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I charge my 3 way battery bank from the car,  you need one that supports fast charge,  and they are not that expensive.
2022-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The one i linked to is a good one, it even superfast charges my Note 20 Ultra, you also have to make sure the cable supports a decent wattage too, i would say 30w cable for a decent fast charge
2022-1-14
Use props
Norfolk Terrier
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Yep I have ordered the one you have linked.  Just the job methinks!
2022-1-14
Use props
PhillyDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694633 ft
  • >>>
United States

Either get a high current cigarette lighter USB outlet as noted, or if you're lucky to have AC inverter outlet in your car (like me), you can use the standard DJI charger.

2022-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Norfolk Terrier Posted at 1-14 04:52
Yep I have ordered the one you have linked.  Just the job methinks!

Yep, it will sort you out for sure, just noticed, you're Norfolk, ditto, although i am bang on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, too bloody flat and I'm running out of reasonable churches lol
2022-1-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PhillyDrone Posted at 1-14 06:51
......... to have AC inverter outlet in your car (like me), you can use the standard DJI charger.

How sinusoidal does the inverter's output have to be?
2022-1-14
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-14 08:37
How sinusoidal does the inverter's output have to be?

For just charging it doesn't matter.
2022-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Actually, i spose you need a pure sinewave as its probably classed as sensitive equipment due to the electronics in the battery, unlike a car battery as they do not have PCB's in them like our drone batteries and hubs(?)
2022-1-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use this one, works fine with the DJI drone chargers and a digital storage oscilloscope. Not pure sine wave.
https://www.hardwarejet.com/belkin-f5c400-300w.html
2022-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From what i can gather, whilst items may run ok, the constant fluctuation in the voltage can ruin the item over time, so the life of the item will be reduced, by how much, i aint got a clue and would prob depend on each item, having said that, i don't think a 12v invertor would be too much of an issue, its when it comes to generators is when you should be concerned., looking at that item, it says up to +/-10%, this quite a big jump, but again, prob not enough to worry a charger. I know the UK is 240v and we run 220v items, but the difference there is its a constant flow, where in a car it can be up and down depending on the revs (its its running) If it was me, i would use that inverter to charge it but then i did my my 3rd party charger purely for the benefit of faster charging, so instead of a 18w charger, me got a 2x 30w charger
2022-1-14
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Very interesting comments all, it helps me with my decision IF I can use a Samsung 5v 2A ac adapter to charge the batteries for craft and the ones in the Remote Controller.  I charged the batteries with the
Dji ac adapter to the charging hub, and charged the RC with the Samsung, ALL were charged and lasted the normal amount of time, which I have to clock the time one of these days.
2022-1-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 1-18 18:38
Very interesting comments all, it helps me with my decision IF I can use a Samsung 5v 2A ac adapter to charge the batteries for craft and the ones in the Remote Controller.  I charged the batteries with the
Dji ac adapter to the charging hub, and charged the RC with the Samsung, ALL were charged and lasted the normal amount of time, which I have to clock the time one of these days.

Samsung 5v 2a is only 10w, the Mini 2 needs a minimum of 18w to charge at the stated rate/time, 30w for fast charging
2022-1-18
Use props
Rider51
lvl.1
United States

Just for reference, I did this 2-3 times driving across the country in a simple USB charger you can buy in a dollar store. It took several hours to get a full charge. So, if you finish a morning shoot in central Ohio, then drive through Indiana, through Illinois, and into Kansas looking to get some nice sunset shots...

Otherwise, just invest in a quality 18w or 30w like Bashy, GaryDoug and others mentioned.
2022-1-18
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-18 20:53
Samsung 5v 2a is only 10w, the Mini 2 needs a minimum of 18w to charge at the stated rate/time, 30w for fast charging

On the plug it did not state wattage, so I gave it a try, worked fine.  Thanks for the information Bashy
2022-1-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-13 19:53
I cant see a car USB being strong enough for any meaningful charge, i bet ya lucky if they are a 1amp socket, spouse it will depend on the make of car, some might be a 2amp, so that's 24w, not brill but should charge it at the standard speed, 1amp will only charge at 12w. I bought a cig light plugin, one of these and it gives me fast charging, pretty darn quick

I also ordered one of these. Have not used it yet, but it is solidly built and appears to be high quality.
2022-1-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 1-19 19:12
On the plug it did not state wattage, so I gave it a try, worked fine.  Thanks for the information Bashy

Yeah, they dont normally state wattage, only V and A or mA
2022-1-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-19 19:22
I also ordered one of these. Have not used it yet, but it is solidly built and appears to be high quality.

Col, ya cant go wrong with that
2022-1-19
Use props
djiuser_Bzs4pUiKPxeZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3330 ft
United States

Does anyone know if it is safe to use this car telephone charger to charge my dji mini 2 and controller?

Super Fast Car Charger for Samsung Galaxy, 3pack 60w Dual-Port USB-C Car Charger Cigarette Lighter Adapter.

https://a.co/d/itQ1Eyh
2023-6-3
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2022-1-13 19:35
Hello there Norfolk Terrier. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory/charger to charge your DJI Mini 2 through DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub ( https://store.dji.com/product/mini-2-two-way-charging-hub ) . I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members who owns the DJI Mini 2 and are using the said car charger. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories/charger to charge your DJI Mini 2's intelligent flight battery. There is a  possibility that these chargers will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said chargers when in use. In addition, using 3rd party car chargers might cause damage or harm on your DJI Mini 2 and can void the warranty as well. Thank you.

Attention:
The post above has been a recording.

2023-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules