Video file corrupted
12Next >
4909 71 2022-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

This is reproducable: Start video recorder and shutdown Mini2, file becomes corrupted.

Second issue, how to setup recording on power up or after launch?

2022-1-15
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

Can I reply to this draft?
2022-1-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To fix such a corrupted video, put the card back in the drone, switch the drone on, let it boot then switch the drone off. It sometimes works.
To prevent such corruption, get into the habit of stopping the recording BEFORE you switch the drone off, it's an age old problem and nothing peculiar to the Mini 2.
2022-1-15
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-15 16:27
To fix such a corrupted video, put the card back in the drone, switch the drone on, let it boot then switch the drone off. It sometimes works.
To prevent such corruption, get into the habit of stopping the recording BEFORE you switch the drone off, it's an age old problem and nothing peculiar to the Mini 2.

Age old problem, for DJI. I can not think of a computer application that doesn't warn or stop you from existing the application if you haven't saved your work, 15 years ago sure but now?  The power button is a software controlled function, how hard is it to check if the camera is recording?  I'll check out my other drones.
2022-1-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Certainly if you'd rather carry on corrupting video and not learn the cure...........be my guest. How hard is it to learn to do things properly and not blame someone else?
2022-1-15
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

WaterMaster Posted at 1-15 16:42
Age old problem, for DJI. I can not think of a computer application that doesn't warn or stop you from existing the application if you haven't saved your work, 15 years ago sure but now?  The power button is a software controlled function, how hard is it to check if the camera is recording?  I'll check out my other drones.

Such an easy problem for DJI to fix if they actually cared enough.  Maybe your post will bring some attention to the problem.
Cheers.
2022-1-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Spazoo Posted at 1-15 17:17
Such an easy problem for DJI to fix if they actually cared enough.  Maybe your post will bring some attention to the problem.
Cheers.

It hasn't in ten years of DJI producing drones, why would it now.
2022-1-15
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

same problem occurs with a lot of video recording devices. Cut off the current and the trailing records of the video file is not saved resulting in a corrupr file. Had that many times with (German) security cameras too. Shutting down a computer takes some time, time enough to flush the buffer.
2022-1-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Press and hold the power button on your laptop or PC and see if its asks you to save ;) because  basically, thats what you're doing with the Mini 2.

Auto Recording cannot be setup in the DJI software, but it can in the Litchi software

mmm, thinking about it, isn't there a hack that can enable this, I could be wrong mind, i must have been on drugs at the time cause i cannot find any hacks so ignore that, although, i could just remove it as I'm still writing the post lol sod it...
2022-1-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree and cannot think of any good reason to not automatically stop recording knowing the power is going off.
2022-1-15
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

Where to start: If I press the power button on my PC it deals with it unless I will lose something then it tells me, Windows 11. Auto Recording Litchi! that is where I saw that, I purchased Litchi for the way point and have to start using it. Turn off the current? When you press (double press) the drone power button software shuts it down.

"not learn the cure" The problem is DJI adds stuff and takes it away: Mavic 2, power the drone off while recording the video file is closed, the file plays without issues.
I can understand leaving out stuff like precision landing but protecting the product from corruption should have been high on the feature list for every drone ever made since that is 90% of the drones propose. Three lines of code DJI!

2022-1-15
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

To be blunt, if you know the problem cause and solution and do not follow proper steps to shut down, that's solely on you. It is not on DJI! There are MANY top line electronics that do not save your work automatically, or give warning. Try turning off your phone while on a call or watching a video.
2022-1-15
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-15 20:17
To be blunt, if you know the problem cause and solution and do not follow proper steps to shut down, that's solely on you. It is not on DJI! There are MANY top line electronics that do not save your work automatically, or give warning. Try turning off your phone while on a call or watching a video.

Nah.  DJI should fix this problem.  I'm sure most of their customers would appreciate not losing their data.
2022-1-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WaterMaster Posted at 1-15 20:00
Where to start: If I press the power button on my PC it deals with it unless I will lose something then it tells me, Windows 11. Auto Recording Litchi! that is where I saw that, I purchased Litchi for the way point and have to start using it. Turn off the current? When you press (double press) the drone power button software shuts it down.

"not learn the cure" The problem is DJI adds stuff and takes it away: Mavic 2, power the drone off while recording the video file is closed, the file plays without issues.

I said press and hold, keep that button in, but 1st, open facebook and create a long reply to someone, then press and hold the power button until something happens ;)
2022-1-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IF, thats a big if in case ya missed it, DJI did somehow do this, that is, fix something that's not even broken, and somehow managed to incorporate a stop recording during the power off, some would then moan that it takes too long to power down, i mean, its long enough as it is holding that little button in till its dead. Lets face it though, A, its not gonna happen because they've never even added the auto record that folks have asked for over the years and B, it will NEVER work when you pull the battery out and lets face it, its probably that that's your main concern isn't it, even I've done that more than once myself.
2022-1-16
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-16 00:04
IF, thats a big if in case ya missed it, DJI did somehow do this, that is, fix something that's not even broken, and somehow managed to incorporate a stop recording during the power off, some would then moan that it takes too long to power down, i mean, its long enough as it is holding that little button in till its dead. Lets face it though, A, its not gonna happen because they've never even added the auto record that folks have asked for over the years and B, it will NEVER work when you pull the battery out and lets face it, its probably that that's your main concern isn't it, even I've done that more than once myself.

As I previously stated, the software works on the Mavic 2, press power button it saves the video and shuts down, instantly.
My main concern was losing my recording of the last gathering we will probably ever have, we're old, have health issues and now one of ours is in ICU hanging on. Yes, I forgot to stop recording because I never had to before, my cheap $700 drone taught me a lesson I really didn't want nor appreciate.  
2022-1-16
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

WaterMaster Posted at 1-16 08:20
As I previously stated, the software works on the Mavic 2, press power button it saves the video and shuts down, instantly.
My main concern was losing my recording of the last gathering we will probably ever have, we're old, have health issues and now one of ours is in ICU hanging on. Yes, I forgot to stop recording because I never had to before, my cheap $700 drone taught me a lesson I really didn't want nor appreciate.

All you have to do is start the drone back up, start a new recording and stop it. The corrupted files will be closed properly. Nothing lost.
2022-1-16
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WaterMaster Posted at 1-16 08:20
As I previously stated, the software works on the Mavic 2, press power button it saves the video and shuts down, instantly.
My main concern was losing my recording of the last gathering we will probably ever have, we're old, have health issues and now one of ours is in ICU hanging on. Yes, I forgot to stop recording because I never had to before, my cheap $700 drone taught me a lesson I really didn't want nor appreciate.

Ideally the program would detect the unsaved recording and notify you, asking if you want to save or delete it.  That's just how modern software works.

Anyways... best wishes to you and yours.  I hope the health of the person in ICU has a full and speedy recovery.  

Happy flying!
2022-1-16
Use props
srdyiop
lvl.3
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-15 16:27
To fix such a corrupted video, put the card back in the drone, switch the drone on, let it boot then switch the drone off. It sometimes works.

Thats strange, all computer systems big and small have shutdown procedures they do this to prevent corruption of system files. one would think DJI could during the shutdown sequence check to see if the drone is taking video or images before shutting down, if there is photo video recording activity simply issue a stop command then proceed to shut down the system after saving the video, photo data.

I see warnings all the time on desktops even background processes sometimes will halt shutting down a PC, some require users to click "OK" before it will shut down.

Keep in mind I am computer stupid, hopefully DJI can put this on the list of things to address in the future?
2022-1-16
Use props
srdyiop
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-15 19:36
I agree and cannot think of any good reason to not automatically stop recording knowing the power is going off.

You are correct.

Just add it to the current shut down sequence the DJI uses, I would think stop recording video and saving the video would be near top of the list, right after all the safety related steps.
2022-1-16
Use props
Halloween1969
lvl.2
Ireland

Yes, this is very annoying, was out today filming away, battery got low, warning beeps etc, totally distracted trying to get the drone back to land, had all the last video file corrupted as I can't remember if I switched recording off, have to go back to film it again when I get the chance.
2022-1-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Halloween1969 Posted at 1-16 14:46
Yes, this is very annoying, was out today filming away, battery got low, warning beeps etc, totally distracted trying to get the drone back to land, had all the last video file corrupted as I can't remember if I switched recording off, have to go back to film it again when I get the chance.

You may not need to. Makes sure the SD card is in the aircraft, power up the aircraft,wait a minute or two then power it down and look at the contents of the SD card.

The file is not corrupted, it has been opened using normal file opening techniques by the aircraft, video has been written to the file, but it has simply not been closed.

The above technique detects the open file, closes it and you are then able to use it.
2022-1-16
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Halloween1969 Posted at 1-16 14:46

Fire your drone back up, no need for airborne, start and stop a  video, then check the app gallery for your needed video. It should be there.
2022-1-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try sending a ticket to, support@dji.com and see if they can add it, I really don't know how it works on the Mavic 2, much more expensive drone, doesn't work on the P4P's either so it could be  new thing they added, just not sure how it will go from the ac power button to the device on the controller prior to full turning off. It deffo wont work if you accidentally pull the battery like i do sometimes, always when I'm talking and not looking at what I'm doing, good job 99.9% of what i shoot  gets deleted anyway
2022-1-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-15 20:17
To be blunt, if you know the problem cause and solution and do not follow proper steps to shut down, that's solely on you. It is not on DJI! There are MANY top line electronics that do not save your work automatically, or give warning. Try turning off your phone while on a call or watching a video.

To be even blunter, It IS on DJI to not close the file before shutting down. It takes just a few bytes of code to do it so why not? It's a sloppy design. I code all the time and is is very simple to do this on the fly. Whe you initiate shutoff, the drone acknowledges by flashing the lights so there is ample time.
2022-1-16
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-16 15:51
To be even blunter, It IS on DJI to not close the file before shutting down. It takes just a few bytes of code to do it so why not? It's a sloppy design. I code all the time and is is very simple to do this on the fly. Whe you initiate shutoff, the drone acknowledges by flasing the lights so there is ample time.h

I disagree. If you know the sequence and don't follow it, it's on you!!! Yes, DJI could implement it, but it isn't. Operator error. Like people who fly around before getting Home Point update.
2022-1-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-16 15:57
I disagree. If you know the sequence and don't follow it, it's on you!!! Yes, DJI could implement it, but it isn't. Operator error. Like people who fly around before getting Home Point update.

You are totally missing the point, understandable I guess. I have never owned any kind of recording device that left the file open on exit. It just isn't done. I have even written several apps that do recording: Input OFF switch, close file, power down. This has nothing to do with a ridiculous workaround that should NOT be needed.

app shutdown routine.png
2022-1-16
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

I verified the Autel Evo Nano+ saves the file then shuts down. What about the Mavic 3 or Mavic Air 2S, or Mavic Air 2? I bet the Mavic Pro saves the file.
2022-1-16
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-16 20:03
You are totally missing the point, understandable I guess. I have never owned any kind of recording device that left the file open on exit. It just isn't done. I have even written several apps that do recording: Input OFF switch, close file, power down. This has nothing to do with a ridiculous workaround that should NOT be needed.

You are missing the point. FOLLOW PROPER PROCEDURE!! Regardless of how stupid it might be.
2022-1-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-16 20:15
You are missing the point. FOLLOW PROPER PROCEDURE!! Regardless of how stupid it might be.

"Regardless of how stupid it might be."

Finally you GET IT.
2022-1-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-16 20:15

I have to agree...
If you follow the procedure then there is 100% no issue, the issue is pilot error regardless, I've done it myself. This is how the Mini 2 works at this time, the Mini 2 is not an Autel, its not even the same as the Mavic 2, so why would you expect it to work the same. It is a "budget" drone after all.

Look, we all know what DJI is like, maybe this was overlooked during creation, maybe it was on purpose, i don't know. If you want it to work then there are a couple of things you can do, 1 is to follow the correct procedure and 2, have enough of you contact DJI to implement the change you want, PS whilst you're sending them a message, ask them to implement the auto-record on takeoff, its already there in the SDK and we've only been asking for years, yep, years! so don't expect this anytime soon, but then again, ya never know, only a month or so ago they added something to the MIni 2 that i didn't know anyone was asking about so, go for it, ask them
2022-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

WaterMaster Posted at 1-16 20:04
I verified the Autel Evo Nano+ saves the file then shuts down. What about the Mavic 3 or Mavic Air 2S, or Mavic Air 2? I bet the Mavic Pro saves the file.

I bet the Mavic Pro saves the file.
It doesn't.
Just like many cameras from other makers, with DJI cameras you have to stop recording to close off the file before shutting the camera down.

Why has this thread taken 30 posts when the answer was given in the first reply?

And btw .. your file was not corrupted, it just wasn't properly closed.
2022-1-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-16 22:21
Why has this thread taken 30 posts when the answer was given in the first reply?

Because it is always someone else's fault.
2022-1-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-17 06:48
Because it is always someone else's fault.

My point all along. Personal responsibility!!
2022-1-17
Use props
Halloween1969
lvl.2
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-16 15:21
Fire your drone back up, no need for airborne, start and stop a  video, then check the app gallery for your needed video. It should be there.

Thanks, will do
2022-1-17
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-16 20:23
"Regardless of how stupid it might be."

Finally you GET IT.

The reason to purchase the Mini 2 was ease of setup and tear down, since I normally sprint to a location, take video, shut off camera, sprint back then pack up and move, repeat.  
I purchased some software and recovered the damaged MP4 from my local disk storage where I had deleted it from, copied it to the drone SD card and turned the drone on, after 30 seconds I opened a working video. That was a hard lesson learned, a few of the drone reviews I've talk with are going to add video off on shutdown to things they test for, in my mind it should be tested right after how to power up.
2022-1-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-16 22:21
I bet the Mavic Pro saves the file.
It doesn't.
Just like many cameras from other makers, with DJI cameras you have to stop recording to close off the file before shutting the camera down.

" you have to stop recording to close off the file before shutting the camera down"

Not sure what you are saying. "Many" cameras??? Can you name them so I will never buy one? I have been doing video photography for many years and have never seen a corrupted file. There is one of two designs: Camera automatically closes the file before turning off power. Or.... Camera refuses to turn off before you stop recording. DJI does neither... bad design.
Typical response from someone who does no programming.

Simple example: My car will not allow me to shut off the ignition while the car is in motion. Cars from years ago would let you do that..decidely dangerous. It's called progress.

2022-1-17
Use props
Halloween1969
lvl.2
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 1-16 15:21
You may not need to. Makes sure the SD card is in the aircraft, power up the aircraft,wait a minute or two then power it down and look at the contents of the SD card.

The file is not corrupted, it has been opened using normal file opening techniques by the aircraft, video has been written to the file, but it has simply not been closed.

Hey, thanks Geebax, that worked great, you saved me a lot of time going back out on location, much appreciated advice.
2022-1-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 1-17 20:31
" you have to stop recording to close off the file before shutting the camera down"

Not sure what you are saying. "Many" cameras??? Can you name them so I will never buy one? I have been doing video photography for many years and have never seen a corrupted file. There is one of two designs: Camera automatically closes the file before turning off power. Or.... Camera refuses to turn off before you stop recording. DJI does neither... bad design.

Not sure what you are saying. "Many" cameras??? Can you name them so I will never buy one?
Why don't you ask JohnDG earlier in the thread?
What's with all the snarky posts lately?

2022-1-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 1-17 20:31

Not sure what you are saying. "Many" cameras??? Can you name them so I will never buy one? I have been doing video photography for many years and have never seen a corrupted file. There is one of two designs: Camera automatically closes the file before turning off power. Or.... Camera refuses to turn off before you stop recording. DJI does neither... bad design.

I agree, my canon wont let me turn off before ending the recording. But, i can pull out the battery thus killing the file, same as the Mini 2 and i tend to do that a fair bit, when out with my mate (most of the time) we talk a lot and that puts me off what I'm doing, so when i pick up the AC after a flight, i will stick it on the roof out the way so we can have a coffee, forgetting that its still on, then come to change the battery for the next flight and oops.....

I think we are getting a bit carried away with who does what. It really does not matter what company does this, that or the other. DJI does "this" not "that or the "other". so follow their procedure and jobs a goodun, no issues

You wouldnt by a car and not follow the driving procedure, i.e. you wouldnt stick it in 4th to drive away just because you can, would you? no, you would follow the procedure. Same with everything else, follow it and it will work as it should, if you don't like ti, send an email to support and see if it can be changed
2022-1-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules