5092 71 2022-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stu.Baby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-18 21:05
I agree, my canon wont let me turn off before ending the recording. But, i can pull out the battery thus killing the file, same as the Mini 2 and i tend to do that a fair bit, when out with my mate (most of the time) we talk a lot and that puts me off what I'm doing, so when i pick up the AC after a flight, i will stick it on the roof out the way so we can have a coffee, forgetting that its still on, then come to change the battery for the next flight and oops.....

I think we are getting a bit carried away with who does what. It really does not matter what company does this, that or the other. DJI does "this" not "that or the "other". so follow their procedure and jobs a goodun, no issues

The "procedure" (that is, to power off your drone without messing up your recording) is undocumented, unintuitive and poorly implemented. It only leads to baffled users, myself included, learning the hard way and unable to fathom why on earth DJI would do it this way.
2022-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

(If (Power_Down_Request)) and (If (File_open))
then File_Close;
2022-1-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Stu.Baby Posted at 1-19 15:04
The "procedure" (that is, to power off your drone without messing up your recording) is undocumented, unintuitive and poorly implemented. It only leads to baffled users, myself included, learning the hard way and unable to fathom why on earth DJI would do it this way.

What about stop recording before powering down baffles you? Seems to me that it is the intuitive way to do it.
2022-1-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stu.Baby Posted at 1-19 15:04
The "procedure" (that is, to power off your drone without messing up your recording) is undocumented, unintuitive and poorly implemented. It only leads to baffled users, myself included, learning the hard way and unable to fathom why on earth DJI would do it this way.

Yeah, no, i dont get it,  its really simple, stop then turn off, would you stop the motors in the air before you land just because it does not say, do not stop the motors before you land? poor analogy but then so is your reasoning.

I know why you're all for this idea, its purely because you forgot to stop recording before you either changed the battery or turned off the ac, been there myself, but get this, you already know what you should be doing because you've already been doing it just fine, you don't forget every time, do you? So it is intuitive but lets go straight to the bottom of page 26 of the manual shall we...

Make sure to power off the aircraft correctly. Otherwise, the camera parameters will not be saved and any recorded videos may be damaged. DJI is not responsible for any failure of an image or video to be recorded or having been recorded in a way that is not machine-readable.

nuff said!
2022-1-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-19 17:48
(If (Power_Down_Request)) and (If (File_open))
then File_Close;

Perfect. It's just that simple. I have to wonder if there is some real reason that they do not do that. Programmers that can code the flight magic into these drones cannot possibly ignore something so obvious IMO. Something is escaping us...or maybe we are just not privy to a limitation. It just seems silly to a programmer.
2022-1-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-19 17:52
What about stop recording before powering down baffles you? Seems to me that it is the intuitive way to do it.

Not intuitive at all.  Notice how the camera is tilted up AUTOMATICALLY before landing? Why doesn't it do the same consideration at power off?
2022-1-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-18 17:29
Not sure what you are saying. "Many" cameras??? Can you name them so I will never buy one?
Why don't you ask JohnDG earlier in the thread?
What's with all the snarky posts lately?

Snarky?  I don't get that unless "snarky" means not agreeing unequivocally with you. I have opinions too, incredible as that may sound. And to be honest, I was just following your lead in questioning claims made without evidence. As they say "Live by the sword...die by the sword" ;-) And most of the time, I have your 6.
2022-1-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-20 20:46
Not intuitive at all.  Notice how the camera is tilted up AUTOMATICALLY before landing? Why doesn't it do the same consideration at power off?

Start recording, stop recording. That is the definition of intuitive. You don't start recording with your handheld and never stop.
2022-1-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-21 05:20
Start recording, stop recording. That is the definition of intuitive. You don't start recording with your handheld and never stop.

Agreed, it is "easy to use and understand", that's the definition of intuitive, we all know what we should do, whether we actually do that is another matter but that's not because its bad programming, its a lapse in memory
2022-1-21
Use props
Stu.Baby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-19 20:24
Yeah, no, i dont get it,  its really simple, stop then turn off, would you stop the motors in the air before you land just because it does not say, do not stop the motors before you land? poor analogy but then so is your reasoning.

I know why you're all for this idea, its purely because you forgot to stop recording before you either changed the battery or turned off the ac, been there myself, but get this, you already know what you should be doing because you've already been doing it just fine, you don't forget every time, do you? So it is intuitive but lets go straight to the bottom of page 26 of the manual shall we...

That just underlines the problem in DJI's implementation. Powering down the drone correctly (following the instructions elsewhere in the manual) leads to the problem that the OP experienced. The text you have quoted refers to a scenario such as yanking out the battery. That's a forced shutdown. No one is talking about forced shutdowns.

If DJI handled the shutdown and closing of files better, then this thread wouldn't exist.
2022-1-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Stu.Baby Posted at 1-21 10:58
That just underlines the problem in DJI's implementation. Powering down the drone correctly (following the instructions elsewhere in the manual) leads to the problem that the OP experienced. The text you have quoted refers to a scenario such as yanking out the battery. That's a forced shutdown. No one is talking about forced shutdowns.

If DJI handled the shutdown and closing of files better, then this thread wouldn't exist.

Regardless of DJI, simply STOP RECORDING before shutting down!!! Are people too lazy or stoopid to follow directions?
2022-1-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stu.Baby Posted at 1-21 10:58

One can equally argue that if the user stopped the recording before shutting down the drone this thread would not exist.
Maybe stopping any on going recording could be added to the shut down process, I do not know about that. Yes it should be mentioned in the manuals, to be honest thought it was but the one manual I have searched did not and I am not trawling through all my manuls to check. But the fact remains that once someone has experienced this and found or been told the solution then who is to blame for any subsequent "I didn't stop recording before I shut down the drone" accidents.

Does it still happen to me, yes it occasionally does and in those circumstances I often realise what I have done before the drone actually finishes shutting down. I can not stop the shut down but I know the cure, reboot the drone and let it 'fix' the recording.

2022-1-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 1-20 20:46

Crew structure, I have seen the lack of it before.
I put this reply against the wrong post, and I see I cannot delete it any more. More sloppy programming.
2022-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-21 11:45
One can equally argue that if the user stopped the recording before shutting down the drone this thread would not exist.
Maybe stopping any on going recording could be added to the shut down process, I do not know about that. Yes it should be mentioned in the manuals, to be honest thought it was but the one manual I have searched did not and I am not trawling through all my manuls to check. But the fact remains that once someone has experienced this and found or been told the solution then who is to blame for any subsequent "I didn't stop recording before I shut down the drone" accidents.

Yes it should be mentioned in the manuals, to be honest thought it was but the one manual I have searched did not and I am not trawling through all my manuls to check.

Untitled-3.jpg
2022-1-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought of that too but it doesn't actually say "stop recording before switching the drone off". It may be just the way my mind works  but "any recorded videos may be damaged" seems, to me, to be referring to previously recored videos, for one thing note the plural, and not the video being currently recorded. And yes I did think "any recorded videos may be damaged" was/is a strange thing to say, how could it corrupt previously recorded video.
2022-1-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, thats a good point chaps, chapesses, i misread the manual, it is actually saying that if you power down correctly that it WILL save the video  properly, but this is not the case, so, in effect the manual is wrong
2022-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 1-21 20:25
Yeah, thats a good point chaps, chapesses, i misread the manual, it is actually saying that if you power down correctly that it WILL save the video  properly, but this is not the case, so, in effect the manual is wrong

That's just DJI's poor documentation - not an uncommon thing.
If you were looking to power down the drone, how would you do that incorrectly?
What's the correct way?
2022-1-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-21 22:22
That's just DJI's poor documentation - not an uncommon thing.
If you were looking to power down the drone, how would you do that incorrectly?
What's the correct way?

by the power button, but that still doesn't save the recording if its still recording like it suggests there on pg 26, you have to stop the recording 1st to preserve it
2022-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 1-22 00:35
by the power button, but that still doesn't save the recording if its still recording like it suggests there on pg 26, you have to stop the recording 1st to preserve it

There is only one way to power off and no way to do it incorrectly.
As this is in the camera section of the manual, it doesn't take much imagination to work out what they actually mean.
2022-1-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-22 01:00
There is only one way to power off and no way to do it incorrectly.
As this is in the camera section of the manual, it doesn't take much imagination to work out what they actually mean.

Im not sure what you're getting at, to be honest?

We all know how to power off the ac, that's not in question, its about turning off the recording. Some in this thread want expected it to stop the recording when they powered of the ac, as it doesn't do that they are corrupting their file, they are wanting DJI to add this t the fw so that it will stop the recording prior to shutdown.

And there is an incorrect way to turn it off, removing the battery, done that myself time or 2, mostly when chatting placing the ac in the car, forgetting to turn it off, then go to change the battery forgetting it was off, so yeah, there's an incorrect way...
2022-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 1-22 04:40

We all know how to power off the ac, that's not in question, its about turning off the recording. Some in this thread want expected it to stop the recording when they powered of the ac, as it doesn't do that they are corrupting their file, they are wanting DJI to add this t the fw so that it will stop the recording prior to shutdown.

What I said was as simple as could be so I guess that's to be expected.
I won't say it a third time.

2022-1-22
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-21 11:28
Regardless of DJI, simply STOP RECORDING before shutting down!!! Are people too lazy or stoopid to follow directions?

I really think calling me stupid and lazy is not called for, in a hurry and forgetful is fine but the reality being my Mavic 2 closes the file before powering down just as other ( Autel Nano) handle shutdown properly.
2022-1-22
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

WaterMaster Posted at 1-22 09:20
I really think calling me stupid and lazy is not called for, in a hurry and forgetful is fine but the reality being my Mavic 2 closes the file before powering down just as other ( Autel Nano) handle shutdown properly.

You already know the rules (how things work). Yet you want to bend them! Why?
2022-1-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

WaterMaster Posted at 1-22 09:20

I did NOT call you either. I said SOME people are. It's time to stop catering to the lowest denominator. Expect more from people.
2022-1-22
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 1-22 09:25
You already know the rules (how things work). Yet you want to bend them! Why?

It's real simple, people get distracted which results in loss of data (video in the case of the Mavic Mini 2) and it doesn't have to happen if the code did what is done in other Mavic products, save the video  then turn off. I do not want to bend anything, I want the manufacture to add the code to protect my video from loss when I become distracted and do stupid.
2022-1-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

It really doesn't result in data loss. Just incomplete data. The file can be rescued by restarting the drone and starting and stopping a new video. The old one will be closed properly.
2022-1-22
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

WaterMaster Posted at 1-22 09:38
It's real simple, people get distracted which results in loss of data (video in the case of the Mavic Mini 2) and it doesn't have to happen if the code did what is done in other Mavic products, save the video  then turn off. I do not want to bend anything, I want the manufacture to add the code to protect my video from loss when I become distracted and do stupid.

"become distracted and do stupid"? Does that apply to you driving your car as well?
Shape up! You cannot blame others because you're typing on Facebook when you should be focused on the real issue at hand!
2022-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

WaterMaster Posted at 1-22 09:38

I want the manufacture to add the code to protect my video from loss when I become distracted and do stupid.
If it's happened to you once or twice, that should be all it takes for you to learn how the camera works.
That works for most people.

2022-1-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

This will never end. It is the guys who man-splain how it works now and the other guys who explain How it Should work. My Wife has the same trouble understanding technology. Condolences.
A major car manufacturer had published stock advice in their manual that said never to exceed the speed limit. But there was a fault in the throttle system that resulted in full throttle unexpectedly. It only happened at speeds of over 70 MPH. The corporate lawyers won the first case because the dead owner in that state had ignored the manual. We all know how that worked out.

2022-1-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Labroides Posted at 1-22 17:38
I want the manufacture to add the code to protect my video from loss when I become distracted and do stupid.
If it's happened you once or twice, that should be all it takes for you to learn how the camera works.
That works for most people.

We all know how it works, its called forgetting, for whatever reason a person can forget.

Here is a really good example but may not be applicable for every country.

You've driven this 1 road many, many times before, it has a bad 90 degree bend, yet for whatever reason, you use your indicator when it certainly isn't needed for a bend in the road.

We all do these things, we are not perfect and i resent the implication that we are stupid Labs, its uncalled for, yes, i  picked up on your childish insinuation, but you pretending to have already stated something prior when someone doesn't appear to understand what you mean, actually doesn't look too good for yourself.  I am not gonna go through the rigamarole of having to constantly ask you out on it because i have now learnt that you do not deliver when pulled up on something, you just say you've already said it (like now) and then you fade away for a wee while, long enough for either the post to have dropped by the wayside or others to have commented in the hope that your spotlight is forgotten about. I tried to forget it and carry on as normal, but you just cannot help yourself, you spout rubbish in the belief that everyone is supposed to understand what youre going on about  SO I'm done with your childish games, and i would very much prefer you not reply to any of my comments and i will respect any bull that comes out of your mouth and not reply to you.
2022-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 1-22 20:30
We all know how it works, its called forgetting, for whatever reason a person can forget.

Here is a really good example but may not be applicable for every country.

I am not gonna go through the rigamarole of having to constantly ask you out on it
Good ... now go away

because i have now learnt that you do not deliver when pulled up on something
You haven't learned anything.
You're an idiot that doesn't understand plain English

So I'm done with your childish games,
And I'm so done trying to explain simple concepts to such a thick dimwit.
That really must be a selfie that you use as an avatar.

2022-1-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-22 20:36
I am not gonna go through the rigamarole of having to constantly ask you out on it

Good ... now go away

And I'm so done trying to explain simple concepts to such a thick dimwit.
That really must be a selfie that you use as an avatar.

I thought you of all people would appreciate my avatar seen as its a family portrait ya mum sent me, see, we can all play by your standards, good night!
2022-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules