Robomaster requires administrator privileges, Students can't open
4451 14 2022-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kMarshall
lvl.1
United States

As a school, we installed the RoboMaster app (version 1.1.5) on PC's with Windows 10.  As an administrator to the machines, I was able to open the app and it seems everything works fine for me.  However, when students open the app, they are not full administrators to the computers so all they get is a black screen.  The only way I can get the program to open for them is to log them in with my administrator login.  This is not practical for a daily class or if they want to work on programing at home with their school computer.

Is there a fix for this issue?  I tried to give the students permissions via the program properties, but was not successful.  

Even when I open up the App, I get a menu "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?"  If I select yes, I can open the app and everything seems to work.  when Students try to open the program, they get a administration login screen.  Which I then have to go to each student and sign in before they can open Robomaster.

Has anyone found a solution or even have this issue?  My IT department doesn't seem to care...
2022-1-15
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
United States

Not a direct answer to your question, but I assume you are more interested in the programming side of things and not so much in game battle aspect (assuming the robots are S1s). If that is true, you can simply use the external Python SDK to program the robots without even needing the Robomaster app to be installed. If the robots are S1s and not EPs, you need a hack to get the SDK working.
2022-1-17
Use props
kMarshall
lvl.1
United States

We have both the S1's and EP's.  We were hoping to get the kids started by using the simple tutorial program examples that are included as part of the Robomaster app. As a school, we have all students login to the PC Win 10 machines using their student user ID and school password.  That gives them general rights to all the programs on that particular computer.  However, they do not have full administrative rights which causes the Robomaster app to open a menu that asks  "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" if you select yes, an Administrator needs to login. If they select no, the program freezes to a Black screen.  I can't walk around the class and login in every time students open the program.  In addition, we are a one to one school so if a student wants to work at home or we go remote again, the student can't use the program at all.

Since I have some administrative permissions, the program does not give me any issues at all... I can't be the only person that has this issue...

Being new to the whole programing side of things, tell me more about the Python SDK?  Is this just the Python programing interface?  Also, how would we get the basic programing code options for the S1 into Python SDK?  

The Robomaster seemed relatively easy to program with their block coding option and the tutorials provided...

Thanks for your input and suggestions... Kirk
2022-1-17
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
United States

kMarshall Posted at 1-17 09:01
We have both the S1's and EP's.  We were hoping to get the kids started by using the simple tutorial program examples that are included as part of the Robomaster app. As a school, we have all students login to the PC Win 10 machines using their student user ID and school password.  That gives them general rights to all the programs on that particular computer.  However, they do not have full administrative rights which causes the Robomaster app to open a menu that asks  "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" if you select yes, an Administrator needs to login. If they select no, the program freezes to a Black screen.  I can't walk around the class and login in every time students open the program.  In addition, we are a one to one school so if a student wants to work at home or we go remote again, the student can't use the program at all.

Since I have some administrative permissions, the program does not give me any issues at all... I can't be the only person that has this issue...

You can find information about the SDK here: https://robomaster-dev.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Note it only works with the EP unless you hack your S1s to support it.

For what it is worth, I am pretty sure there is nothing in the DJI app that would require administrator privileges. It is just that they are really bad about software in general and did not bother fixing this.

There are a few possible workarounds:

1 - Use android phones/tablets. This is broken for any recent android version.
2 - Use Apple phones/tablets. As I understand it this would work ok.
3 - Run the Robomaster app in a PC running Linux (that includes Chromebooks with Crostini). The Robomaster is able to run under Linux with Wine with a few small bugs (but generally works).

3 might be the only real option though, assuming it would be feasible at all with your setup.

2022-1-18
Use props
Wardword
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

The problem is how the windows permissions are set up on your schools computer system/network.

If you installed the program on an administrator account on the same PC the student accounts are on, the application needs it's windows permissions set to "all users on this PC" (or network) otherwise only the admin access level accounts will be able to use it.  
Have your schools PC network tech set the applications permissions accordingly .

In many cases the abilty to change permissions can only be accessed by your network admin.
They do this on purpose to protect the network from virus intrusion, and or students installing things they shouldn't be.
2022-1-24
Use props
JohnnyRobotic
lvl.3
United States

I have the same problem here. VERY FRUSTRATING. My IT person is pretty competent. After spending time trying everything he could think of, it was determined that the RobomasterS1 app will only run when logged in as an administrator. The solution he offered me was to create a generic admin account for all of my computers so that students can run the Robomaster S1 app. I told him that I will continue to use the tablets for now. We now have a new class set of laptops. I think I may let him set up a dedicated Robomaster admin account on those laptops and see how it goes.
2022-1-25
Use props
kMarshall
lvl.1
United States

JohnnyRobotic Posted at 1-25 13:28
I have the same problem here. VERY FRUSTRATING. My IT person is pretty competent. After spending time trying everything he could think of, it was determined that the RobomasterS1 app will only run when logged in as an administrator. The solution he offered me was to create a generic admin account for all of my computers so that students can run the Robomaster S1 app. I told him that I will continue to use the tablets for now. We now have a new class set of laptops. I think I may let him set up a dedicated Robomaster admin account on those laptops and see how it goes.

It is frustrating... I tried to give the student group more permissions... Modify, Read & Execute, Read and Write.  Do I need to give them Full Control for this program?

Whenever students open the Robomaster program they are prompted with the menu: Do want to allow this app to make changes to your device.  If you agree students have to have an administrator login to allow the program to open.

Anyone have success using this program without giving students full administrative access to the computer?
2022-1-25
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

JohnnyRobotic Posted at 1-25 13:28
I have the same problem here. VERY FRUSTRATING. My IT person is pretty competent. After spending time trying everything he could think of, it was determined that the RobomasterS1 app will only run when logged in as an administrator. The solution he offered me was to create a generic admin account for all of my computers so that students can run the Robomaster S1 app. I told him that I will continue to use the tablets for now. We now have a new class set of laptops. I think I may let him set up a dedicated Robomaster admin account on those laptops and see how it goes.

2022-3-5
Use props
joe.kozun
lvl.1

Canada

bumping this thread, has anyone found a solution for this?  We are experiencing the same thing with the Robomaster software in our school division.  Our students and teachers are not admins on school computers and so cannot even open the software.
2022-8-24
Use props
JohnnyRobotic
lvl.3
United States

joe.kozun Posted at 8-24 12:05
bumping this thread, has anyone found a solution for this?  We are experiencing the same thing with the Robomaster software in our school division.  Our students and teachers are not admins on school computers and so cannot even open the software.

No change. Still have to be admin.
2022-8-25
Use props
joe.kozun
lvl.1

Canada

JohnnyRobotic Posted at 8-25 12:28
No change. Still have to be admin.

OK we found a way.

1. Install the DJI Education Hub instead (as Administrator)
2. Open the Education Hub and install Robo Master (as Administrator)
3. give all users full control over the c:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Education Hub folder
4. regular users can now open DJI Education Hub and then launch Robo Master from within the hub without requiring an admin username and password

If you want it on multiple machines you can just copy the entire c:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Education Hub to other machines, set the same folder permissions and then create a shortcut on the public desktop to c:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Education Hub\DJIEducationHub.exe

I created a powershell script to do all this so we can deploy it out through SCCM.  

Ridiculous that we have to resort to this for a standard user to even open the software.

2022-9-6
Use props
djiuser_MkNPcBkTltAN
lvl.1

France

Hello Mods,

I am unsure why I am unable to post new thread. Each time I try, it redirects me to the rules and regulation page.
2022-9-7
Use props
shutup
lvl.1

France

djiuser_MkNPcBkTltAN Posted at 9-7 00:32
Hello Mods,

I am unsure why I am unable to post new thread. Each time I try, it redirects me to the rules and regulation page.

The icon on the profile page for the new task was smaller than the close icon for the ads. finally was able to detect it to complete the profile creation.

2022-9-7
Use props
JohnnyRobotic
lvl.3
United States

joe.kozun Posted at 9-6 08:42
OK we found a way.

1. Install the DJI Education Hub instead (as Administrator)

Nice work! I'm going to give this a try.
2022-12-15
Use props
w33t
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48862 ft
United States

Glad you found a solution for this! Your IT department guy should know how to implement something like a temporary elevated trust that can be assigned to the students, so they can temporarily gain "admin rights" to run that program.

But like others said, if Python is being used, you could install Visual Studio Code to the user account along with Python 3 and they *should* be able to use that.
2022-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules