How to Disable RTH for Low Battery
5448 12 2022-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droney_baloney
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486 ft
United States

Wondering how I can disable/adjust low battery Return to Home settings on the DJI Fly app. I have an Air 2S paired with an RC Pro. Had this disabled on both of my Phantom 4 Pro's with the Go 4 app but Fly seems to be significantly stripped down. This is different than the loss of signal connection settings which I already found and changed to "hover". I do not want the aircraft to go into RTH when it hits a certain battery % threshold (of which I actually do not know since it isn't displayed anywhere in the app that I could find).
2022-1-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think you can switch it off. But you can always cancel it when it occurs. My new-to-me M2p did that to my surprise on an early flight and I canceled it and chose another safer path, over land. In any case I would not want to turn it off.
2022-1-15
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-15 19:31
I don't think you can switch it off. But you can always cancel it when it occurs. My new-to-me M2p did that to my surprise on an early flight and I canceled it and chose another safer path, over land. In any case I would not want to turn it off.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it, however I hope that's not the case. Can anyone else confirm?

I've been flying for four years and I've had it off almost the entire time. I absolutely despise auto features that take over, especially when you're focused on getting the last shot before bringing it back. They've caused some extremely close calls and not once has having a low battery caused a close call for me (outside of the auto RTH).

I can definitely understand how some may like this feature - especially when flying in open areas - but not having a way to disable it may be a deal breaker for me.
2022-1-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

My M2p got back and landed with just 15% power left. If I had not canceled it maybe 20%.
2022-1-15
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

This is the kind of example as to why there should be an ability to disable beforehand.

Some programmer makes a confusing dialog box and boom, your drone is in a million pieces. https://forum.dji.com/thread-142593-1-1.html
2022-1-15
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

There's no way to adjust or turn off that "feature". Yes, it's annoying as hell. And can be disabled in the DJI Go app - why they felt the need to switch to the Fly app is a mystery.
But, it's pretty easy to hit cancel when that beeping starts. And it's a pretty good reminder to start heading back - you REALLY don't want it to go into the forced landing mode (don't ask how I know that)
2022-1-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I do not want the aircraft to go into RTH when it hits a certain battery % threshold (of which I actually do not know since it isn't displayed anywhere in the app that I could find).
It's not a battery level that triggers this.
It's calculated by the flight controller, taking the battery level and distance back into consideration.
The time to RTH is constantly being updated throughout the flight.
2022-1-15
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-15 23:07
I do not want the aircraft to go into RTH when it hits a certain battery % threshold (of which I actually do not know since it isn't displayed anywhere in the app that I could find).
It's not a battery level that triggers this.
It's calculated by the flight controller, taking the battery level and distance back into consideration.

That's interesting that it's based on the situation. I think I like that even less despite knowing the reasoning behind such a feature

Maybe I'm old school but if I'm RPIC, I believe I should be IC, not the drone. Maybe I'll get used to it or maybe I'll get another used P4P.

Regardless, I appreciate all the responses and info here. Sounds like there's no changing this on the Fly app. Thanks all!
2022-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

droney_baloney Posted at 1-16 06:47
That's interesting that it's based on the situation. I think I like that even less despite knowing the reasoning behind such a feature

Maybe I'm old school but if I'm RPIC, I believe I should be IC, not the drone. Maybe I'll get used to it or maybe I'll get another used P4P.

It's no big deal.
You can take the advice it offers or cancel before it initiates RTH if you want to be in charge.
Of all the limitations that DJI Fly imposes on you, this one shouldn't even rate as a minor annoyance.
2022-1-16
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

What are the higher-ranked annoyances in your opinion?
2022-1-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Just my point, running out of juice while over water or the forest or a busy highway would be far more annoying than a beep.
2022-1-18
Use props
djiuser_sx0O4V5p43u1
New

Australia

This is super annoying. I generally have the drone set to follow the vehicle. It is a royal pain in the neck to go all the way back to where we took off when the battery get low. Right where we are would be preferable. It's generally in the desert so just fine to land
2023-9-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_sx0O4V5p43u1 Posted at 9-28 21:53
This is super annoying. I generally have the drone set to follow the vehicle. It is a royal pain in the neck to go all the way back to where we took off when the battery get low. Right where we are would be preferable. It's generally in the desert so just fine to land

You need to reset the home point during the flight so that the drone doesn't want to go all the way back to where you started.
Do it a few times during a flight and you'll get a longer flight time as well.
2023-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules