Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Auto Focus not working
3491 10 2022-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mctyler72
lvl.1
United States

First flight and the camera doesn't seem to auto focus. It appears to be stuck on the minimum focus distance. Lens is clean and nothing covering it. Video/Photos of objects a few feet away are perfectly in focus. Any suggestions? I would upload examples but I'm a new user and the forum won't let me.

2022-1-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is in AF and not MF mode isn't it? although, that might not be possible, i could be thinking of my P4P lol

Can you do a screen recording? then upload it to youtube or the like?
2022-1-16
Use props
Sakari Kaulaote
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34941 ft
Sweden

There is no autofocus in the Mini 2.
It's a fixed focus lens.
If the lens is out of focus it's a manufacturing defect.
2022-1-16
Use props
fans0ee84a34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

I know you said that the lens is clean and nothing covering it but did you remove the gimbal cover?
2022-1-16
Use props
mctyler72
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-16 00:21
It is in AF and not MF mode isn't it? although, that might not be possible, i could be thinking of my P4P lol

Can you do a screen recording? then upload it to youtube or the like?

As far as I can tell there is no option for AF/MF in the app. Never looked on the drone itself but can't imagine there is anything on it to switch.
2022-1-16
Use props
mctyler72
lvl.1
United States

fans0ee84a34 Posted at 1-16 02:42
I know you said that the lens is clean and nothing covering it but did you remove the gimbal cover?

No cover, no filters.
2022-1-16
Use props
mctyler72
lvl.1
United States

Sakari Kaulaote Posted at 1-16 01:51
It's a fixed focus lens.

No sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the focus never changes? And it should be set to one focal point at all times??
2022-1-16
Use props
mctyler72
lvl.1
United States

Here is a link to my online album which obviously has compressed the image terribly, but you can hopefully see even with the compression that it is out of focus. Pictures and Videos really close up are in focus.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dwYd9izmH97oUT7N9
2022-1-16
Use props
Sakari Kaulaote
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34941 ft
Sweden

mctyler72 Posted at 1-16 06:28
No sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the focus never changes? And it should be set to one focal point at all times??

Yes, just like most action cams.

Have you peeled off the plastic film from the camera lens?

If everything up close is in focus, then the camera is defective/manufacturing fault and slipped through the QC somehow.
Everything close should be out of focus and from 20-30cm to infinity it should be on focus.
x1.jpg
x2.jpg
2022-1-16
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sakari Kaulaote Posted at 1-16 01:51
It's a fixed focus lens.

Youre right, to be honest i think i was thinking about my P4P, I've never thought about the focus on the MIni 2, it just does its thing, even the Manual mentions nothing of it. so yeah, if the distance shots with nothing in the foreground are out of focus then it has to be faulty
2022-1-16
Use props
mctyler72
lvl.1
United States

Sakari Kaulaote Posted at 1-16 07:03
Yes, just like most action cams.

Have you peeled off the plastic film from the camera lens?

I don't see anything obvious to peel off the lens, maybe I did when I opened it and don't remember.

Ok, makes sense I guess it wasn't meant for closeup shots and more for wide angle long range.

Ugh, I guess I will contact them first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
2022-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules